Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSOD when playing E:TW

Laetus

Default BSOD when playing E:TW

Hey guys !

I have a problem with my game. When i play after a while it BSOD's. Does not matter if i am in a battle or looking over a campaign board. Here are some details like specs. It didn't happen on the first day i played.

Core i7 (stock speed)
    HX-620 PSU
    GTX 275 (stock speed)
    Windows 7
    Using the steam edition.

I cant find logs at the moment so ill go ahead and BSOD again so it will show me where to find them..

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Kasalal; October 07, 2009 at 09:55 PM.

Laetus

Default Re: BSOD when playing E:TW

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 94E743FF
    BCP3: A08CBB70
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

and more logs..that i can not open...even as admin... they are the .dmp files that i cant open.

Laetus

This was an app crash error.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Empire.exe
    Application Version: 1.5.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4abbc9d0
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 3f800000
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Quote Originally Posted by Kasalal View Post
    This was an app crash error.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Empire.exe
    Application Version: 1.5.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 4abbc9d0
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 3f800000
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    I decided to do a search of this error message - importantly the Exception Code error (c0000005). This seems to be related to a buffer overrun. As I found this info on a number of unrelated sites I tend to believe it.

Another thing I found is that this seems to happen more frequently on 64bit systems which might explain the Win 7 connection.

Try testing your memory using a mem checker. There are a number of free tools on the internet. If you have a bad or mismatched RAM stick then this could be the cause of your crash. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
    I decided to do a search of this error message - importantly the Exception Code error (c0000005). This seems to be related to a buffer overrun. As I found this info on a number of unrelated sites I tend to believe it.

Another thing I found is that this seems to happen more frequently on 64bit systems which might explain the Win 7 connection.

Try testing your memory using a mem checker. There are a number of free tools on the internet. If you have a bad or mismatched RAM stick then this could be the cause of your crash. Good luck!
    Shouldn't be mismatched but could be a bad stick. Spose i should mention i use 32bit and have 3gb of DDR3 ram. Also i wrote this down after a BSOD:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x94C743FF, 0x9E43BB74, 0x00000000)
    Win32k.sys - Address 94C743FF base at 94BB0000, DateStamp 4a5bc2a2

Hope that can provide some information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasalal View Post
    Shouldn't be mismatched but could be a bad stick. Spose i should mention i use 32bit and have 3gb of DDR3 ram. Also i wrote this down after a BSOD:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x94C743FF, 0x9E43BB74, 0x00000000)
    Win32k.sys - Address 94C743FF base at 94BB0000, DateStamp 4a5bc2a2

Hope that can provide some information.
    Here's what a quick search of that first value (0x0000008E) came up with: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

I do not know that it is relevant (this page mentions XP) but this page does reference faulty memory as being a possible problem. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Good luck!

EDIT: I found no hits on the other values except the (0xC0000005) value. I already searched that in my initial post.
    FINAL EDIT: I was incorrect - there is another hit from this last error message (0x00000000). This also links to a MS page about XP but it deals with hardware problems concerning memory. Check it out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

Good Luck!
    Last edited by PoleCat; October 07, 2009 at 10:22 PM.

Laetus

Here's what a quick search of that first value (0x0000008E) came up with: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335

I do not know that it is relevant (this page mentions XP) but this page does reference faulty memory as being a possible problem. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Good luck!

EDIT: I found no hits on the other values except the (0xC0000005) value. I already searched that in my initial post.
    FINAL EDIT: I was incorrect - there is another hit from this last error message (0x00000000). This also links to a MS page about XP but it deals with hardware problems concerning memory. Check it out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

Good Luck!
    Im going to run memtest86 and see what it shows.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dont spent time looking for all those message meaning, and those memory fix programs are almost useless. There are in this help forum a memory workaround who will solve your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by pajomife@iol.pt View Post
    Dont spent time looking for all those message meaning, and those memory fix programs are almost useless. There are in this help forum a memory workaround who will solve your problems.
    At this point we're just trying to determine if he has a bad memory stick. We're not trying to fix it.

These errors he's getting could easily be caused by a bad memory leak in the game but it's best to rule out the obvious first.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

At this point we're just trying to determine if he has a bad memory stick. We're not trying to fix it.

These errors he's getting could easily be caused by a bad memory leak in the game but it's best to rule out the obvious first.
    If the memory leak is in the game, it would happen to everyone at the same memory address and could be documented for CA. This is hardware. If you have two switch them. If you have four slots try the other two.

You can get in trouble mixing ecc with non-ecc, and different stick speeds for starters.

3gb ram in a corei7?

i have 6gb of corsair. so that's 3 sticks of 2gb 1600mhz ram running in slots 2,4,6. 3gb must be surely a 2gb with a 1 gb stick. i didnt think u could buy 3gb in one stick. therein could lie the answer to this.

as i see it most people either use 2gb/4gb (32 bit os wont recognise all of 4gb but most of it 3.5 or somerthing like)/6gb/8gb

3gb seems weird to me...(never mix n match ram makers and speeds)

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    3gb ram in a corei7?

i have 6gb of corsair. so that's 3 sticks of 2gb 1600mhz ram running in slots 2,4,6. 3gb must be surely a 2gb with a 1 gb stick. i didnt think u could buy 3gb in one stick. therein could lie the answer to this.

as i see it most people either use 2gb/4gb (32 bit os wont recognise all of 4gb but most of it 3.5 or somerthing like)/6gb/8gb

3gb seems weird to me...(never mix n match ram makers and speeds)
    How thee 1gig sticks all the same brand and speed? 32bit XP or Vista, it works wonders over 2gigs in about any game I've tried in the last five years.

3gb ram in a corei7?

...i have 6gb of corsair. so that's 3 sticks of 2gb 1600mhz ram running in slots 2,4,6. 3gb must be surely a 2gb with a 1 gb stick....(never mix n match ram makers and speeds)
    Why couldn't the OP run three 1GB sticks in slots 2,4,6? With six slots altogether it seems pretty logical to me. If I'm wrong please let me know how.

In the computers I'm used to, the BIOS loved them in oreder of which would be 1, 2, 3, be it 1gig or 2gig sitcks.

Why couldn't the OP run three 1GB sticks in slots 2,4,6? With six slots altogether it seems pretty logical to me. If I'm wrong please let me know how.
    well most people who own corei7 dont buy 3gb of ram in x1gb sticks. but perhaps u can. i have never seen sold x1gb ddr3. it's usually 2gb sticks then u buy triple kits i.e 6gb.

without confirmation from the op we dont know.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=2&cat=3&subcat=2677

here's the page for triple memory kits from ebuyer. now-where do i see listed x1gb sticks for sale. and over many months have never ever seen them for sale. that's not to say it isnt possible..just strikes me as odd.

also does any other game crash for the op or it's just ETW? 620 psu is also cutting it a bit fine for a 275...dpends on quality(i,e output on the rails). if generic or crap make then u can have trouble.

(for corei7 i use 2,4,6)
    Last edited by Totalheadache; October 10, 2009 at 04:06 AM.

ok ive just had one as well. its defo not a mem problem for me as the error message stated a problem with the display drivers (1.9103)

i havent played ETW in weeks and i had high hopes for this patch and now this!

ps, my card is a geeforce 260

well most people who own corei7 dont buy 3gb of ram in x1gb sticks. but perhaps u can. i have never seen sold x1gb ddr3. it's usually 2gb sticks then u buy triple kits i.e 6gb.

without confirmation from the op we dont know.
    Ah I see where you're coming from. Yes 1GB sticks do exist - I have three in my sons machine. I see how enthusiasts would want more though....

also does any other game crash for the op or it's just ETW? 620 psu is also cutting it a bit fine for a 275...dpends on quality(i,e output on the rails). if generic or crap make then u can have trouble
    I'm not familiar with the min power spec on a 275 - is it 600W? If so then that could be an issue and could explain the crashes. He has a Corsair PSU though - that much I recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    ok ive just had one as well. its defo not a mem problem for me as the error message stated a problem with the display drivers (1.9103)

i havent played ETW in weeks and i had high hopes for this patch and now this!

ps, my card is a geeforce 260
    I've read that the newer Nvidia drivers are giving this game fits. Try searching the forum for Nvidia problems and older vs. newer drivers. There's a sticky thread at the top about it to. Good luck!

so you made your son a corei7. nice dad! can u adopt me as well

re the ram yeah for an older system 3gb in 3x1gb is fine but corei7/i5 are usually sticks of 2gb each. corei5 is double channel though i think whereas corei7 is triple channel.

generally corei5 peeps go for 4gb wheras corei7 people go for 6gb....that's why alarm bells rang when i saw 3gb and corei7.

yeah and corsairs are good but for a 275 ideally you want 650-750w to be on the safe side.

ive just done a full ETW reinstall and im gettin the same BSOD. to be honest i find it unacceptable that i have to use old drivers for this game when my current drivers run all my others game without problems!

im gonna install the latest 191.07 driver and see if that helps.

ps,

same problem with latest driver. the ironic thing is that up until the latest ETW update i wasnt gettin any crashes. go figure
    Last edited by tonedog; October 10, 2009 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonedog View Post
    ive just done a full ETW reinstall and im gettin the same BSOD. to be honest i find it unacceptable that i have to use old drivers for this game when my current drivers run all my others game without problems!

im gonna install the latest 191.07 driver and see if that helps.

ps,

same problem with latest driver. the ironic thing is that up until the latest ETW update i wasnt gettin any crashes. go figure
    try 181.22 or 182.50. and i think 185.85 are good. yeah it sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast