Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Campaign Battle Thread

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: The Campaign Battle Thread

Nice going! I'll have to look around for a few more. Probably upload them in a couple of days. Feel free to post some of your own too. In the meantime, you could try these two battles by Severous.

The first battle:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I played the first one pretty well and only lost some slingers unnecessarily, otherwise it went according to plan (took me two attempts though I think). Not easy. Watch out for the Armoured Eastern Generals. They pack a punch. Use your missiles well.

The second battle:

Easier IMHO. It's a bit like the Egypt Vs Pontus battle in that you have mostly infantry. See how you go.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

here is a battle i fought during my VH/VH brutii campaign:

(genius, i hope u dont mind me posting this)

here are some screenshots of the brutii army and carthaginian armies (one from carthage's garrison, one an army WITH ELEPHANTS!!!!!!!!!!)

this is the carthaginian army:

AND heres the garrison which comes out to fight:

THE save is attached to this post (just download+paste into ur "saves" directory in RTW), and it has been squeezzzzzzzed so that it is small enough. (this is a .zip file) Feel free to continue the campaign if u want, i have basically stopped the scipii going to become a threat in the late game, but everything depends on this battle, if u win, the scipii have only 2 small cities, and wont be a threat, but if u lose, the scipii can conquer north africa, using the BIG city of carthage as their base.

hope u enjoy playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

Nice one, three more to try, lets see..

Mind? Not at all. I was hoping someone else posted one so I wouldn't be the only one. I'll give it a try soon and see how it goes.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

thanks

well done on getting ur 500th post!

Thank you! Nice battle. It's hard to get all of the enemy after they rout when using infantry. I use a lot of cav so I can usually do it but I'm more inexperienced when it comes to trapping them with infantry. Can anyone get Carthage that turn by killing all the routers?
    My result:

I dowlanded first 3 battles but I didnt have time to play them, I play once 1 battle; cavarly versus rebels but lost. I routed 2 unit of peasents, but later in game their heavy cavalary destroyed my desert cavarly. I know new tatctics how to play this battle from this forum so I will try them. I will try other two, and new battles. Thanks GotR for creating such abrilliant thread and giving us battles to play and coolguyz for giving us also battles to play.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

no problem gloin

Glad you like it! Has anyone tried the Severous battles? The first one is so much fun.

The battle with the Brutii was nice and easy. Got a clear victory, I accidentaly let the the first army wait for their reïnforcements which was my mistake, still i crushed them.

I'm trying to win the unwinable battles, i need to figure out a strategy. Defeating thrace is much more easier than Armenia.

I have a question.

How to restart battle to try it again. I tried to play 2 battle from the first post by GotR and I lost first time and I dont want to go out of game and load battle again. Is there any button to restart battle.

Cheers

Chicken's Avatar Senator

no sorry man, u cant restart the battle, u need to quit game and load game again.

The second one is much less difficult.
    I found it helpful to even the playing field by using lots of missiles before the armies engaged for the first battle. I also concentrated my fire to cause individual units with low morale to rout. This helped rout the stronger bodyguards. I used the Cretans to kill and the Archers for fire arrows due to their lower attack. Worked a treat.

Thanks for helping coolguyz and GotR ( as always ). I will post my results from all battles in Friday, as then I got time.

Okay here's how I went about the first Severous battle. I should have taken more screenshots, but I'll do my best to explain what I did.

I started by retreating my army minus the general towards the big hill. I figured this would give me the best position to hit them with missiles for as long as possible before the armies engaged. My general stayed back to be a pest and lure the enemy into charging and wearing themselves out. The advantage you have is that your General's Bodyguard is faster than their Eastern Armoured Bodyguard, so you don't have to worry about fighting them. The only units that can catch your general are the horse archers, so he'll be fine. I just ran him around trying to find weak points so I could rout a unit or two.

In the second phase of the battle, the enemy had reached the bottom of the hill and were being hit by Cretans, Archers and Rhodians. I focussed on the area with the most troops, because my missile attack was high enough to cause a lot of deaths because of the inferior Armenian defence - as long as they hit. The phalanx line was only four men deep to give me a bit of extra coverage on the wings. I was banking on their units being exhausted and charging up a hill to prevent them from breaking through. In front of the phalanx line were the Rhodians (so they didn't hit them in the back due to their horizontal firing trajectory) who acted to lure in the enemy Armoured Bodyguards. Unfortunately for them, I forgot about they were sitting there while I concentrated on other things and they didn't escape the charge. My general was sitting behind the army ready to charge downhill to wherever he was needed.

Here's the first screenshot I took:

I'll explain what's going on. On my right you can see a lot of routing infantry. These were routed by exhaustion with fire arrows. Once one of them began to rout I knew that the others would soon follow so I turned my right phalanx inwards to help with the incoming Armoured Bodyguards. On the left, one unit had flanked my phalanx, so I shot one volley of fire arrows and then had my General charge and rout them.

At this point of the battle I just routed their king. It really helps to have them charge incredibly slowly by making them go uphill, while exhausted and the fact that they aren't fast moving like other bodyguards. This started a rout that included most units except the Faction Heir, but he was heading towards the Phalanx Pikemen, so I wasn't worried. All the while, my archer units were firing normal arrows now to ensure that the enemy didn't rout completely so that my general could chase them down on their way back to the settlement.

Here's the army running down everyone they can overtake. Archers are especially good for this because they are fast moving and often not as tired as melee fighters.

And the result. Plenty of carnage for archers. It seems unfair that the second unit of Cretans didn't get any experience. They certainly deserved it.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

nice....

i have a parthian battle which i will upload with some screenshots shortly.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

this battle isnt the hardest in the world, but because the seleucid elephants are quite hard to beat down with plain arrows from my horse archers

heres is my army (your's soon )

heres is the first seleucids army (this is the easy one, with only peasants and militia hoplites)

heres the garrison which come out of antioch (this have 2 elephant units!!!! watch out!!!!)

the file attached is in .zip format, enjoy the battle!!!!

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

[/spoiler]
    The third battle:
    Quite easy, get rid of the first army by frightning it by loose formations, quickly close the formation and charge!!

Is it possible to frighten an army by going on loose formations - I assume making them think your army is more numerous than it actually is? Can you really fool them like that? Never heard of that before...

I thought I'd revive this old thread to post some more battles if you feel like trying them out. Taken from my recent speed run:

This battle pits early game Gaul against the SPQR stack. Can you overcome the odds with a Warband-based army? Your general has high command, so your troops might not be as vulnerable as you think.

and...

This battle sees your rather lonely faction leader attacked while besieging a British settlement. Can you use your General, two units of Barbarian Cavalry and two units of Barbarian Mercenaries to drive Britannia from continental Europe? Watch out for the chariots!

Enjoy!

I downloaded it and i will try the SPQR one sounds easy, but the Britons chariots makes me worry very much..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast