Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Campaign Battle Thread

Default Re: The Campaign Battle Thread

I'm sorry but I had a huge problem that affected my savegame and the campaign map strated to lag like hell so I had nothing to do but to uninstall and reinstall the game again but I will try to upload some battles against brutii and dacia because they are my targets now after I destroyed thrace.What do you think of the idea of the battle objectives?

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

I think they could add some challenge to things, but it is GotR whose answer matters-it's his thread I just lurk here...

I'd say they could be fun-within reason. I mean, it'd get annoying having to restart the battle a million times, just because of a particularily chance-y objective.

For that battle you were posting, that was reasonable. I had a couple units cav. Just meant i had to lure every general away from their lines, and converge upon him. My general would never be in danger, as he would be backed up by more cav. It was very doable.

For the battle objectives I got your point well I'm not gonna say like you must have some 50 casualties maximum in battle of 2000 men,that will be either crazy or stupid .But I think that the battle objectives must reflect what happens in the campaign because what makes the difference between a campaign battle and a custom is that the result of the campaign battle can have circusmstances on the campaign itself.
    So,here's another battle from my macedon campaign this time it's against a 3 armies from both scipii and brutii this battle's objectives are to kill the two brutii generals and destroy the brutii army and the general must remain alive.

For the battle objectives I got your point well I'm not gonna say like you must have some 50 casualties maximum in battle of 2000 men,that will be either crazy or stupid .But I think that the battle objectives must reflect what happens in the campaign because what makes the difference between a campaign battle and a custom is that the result of the campaign battle can have circusmstances on the campaign itself.
    So,here's another battle from my macedon campaign this time it's against a 3 armies from both scipii and brutii this battle's objectives are to kill the two brutii generals and destroy the brutii army and your general must remain alive.

here's the savegame and some pics

WAAAGH! Your download didn't work, strategos. It is a different battle again. A bunch of light pikes vs some greek mixed pikes...
    Last edited by Willowran; May 02, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

uhhh...strategos?

sorry for being absent that long I was really really busy these days however I fixed the savegame problem so here you are.

Completed:

Pikes were in two lines, front line phalanx pikemen, second line mercenaries and the militia unit. Cav on one flank, skirmishers up front.

Let the enemy come to me. Skirmishers provided meatsheild duties, and proceeded to NOT skirmish very well, and i lost most of them to the enemy charge. Enemy hit pikes, and died. Hammer-anvil with my cav and routed their main force. Then the brutii armies showed up. Couldn't split my forces, couldn't face either without being flanked by the other.... so i turtled. Took some fire from their ballista's, but waited anyways. Lured the left brutii army into breaking formation by tempting them with my cav, and then the battle began in earnest.

The first brutii general ran around my back, hoping to flank me, but he ran instead into a wall of pikes, and my three units of cav looped around and slammed into his rear. He somehow managed to escape the kerfluffel, but i managed to catch him as he fled, coming in on his unit from multiple directions.

Ran into the rear of the first brutii army with cav, and routed them. Rotated pike line to face the second army wholly. Ran skirmishing duties with cavalry, trying to isolate their general. Got caught up in chasing down routers. They tried the same tactic: loop around back with their general and hit my rear. this time they succeeded. I swarmed their general with my entire reserve line, but he did manage to route a unit of phalanx pikes. Again, the general miraculously managed to escape the mosh-pit of pikes, but his escape roue was blocked off by angry greek cavalry, and he went down. After that... i upped pikes, and charged. The enemy were damaged enough both physically and morally that they fled.

Victory, all goals achieved.
    Last edited by Willowran; May 09, 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456