Thread: Let's talk about Pre-Marian

Default Let's talk about Pre-Marian

Hello, as you might or not know, the Pre-Marian rules are kinda mixed up.
    Because, today I was playing some Pre-Marian battles and one guy picked gladiators and he said, that they're allowed in Pre-Marian. Some peeps say, that 4 equites max are allowed, some say that arcani are allowed.

So....What are the REAL Pre-Marian rules?

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Let's talk about Pre-Marian

whatever you want them to be
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

I've seen, that the original Pre-Marian rules are:
    5 same units max
    4 cavs max
    2 gladiators max
    No archers, artillery.
    Units: Peasants,town watch, hastati, principes, arcani, gladiators, equites, roman gen, velites, triarii.
    12,5k/player

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Haha I am pretty sure Arcani are from imperial times actually:
    The areani were agents for the Roman Empire, based in Roman Britain during the later part of the Roman occupation of the island. They helped to instigate the Great Conspiracy. Due to their participation in the Conspiracy, Count Theodosius disbanded them.
    The term is a hapax legomenon, known only from one text, and it has been suggested that it is a misreading of "arcani", the secret ones.
    They may have been civilian inhabitants of the paramilitary zone between Hadrian's Wall and the Vallum to the south.1
    Ammianus Marcellinus A.D. 368 28, 3, 8. "During these outstanding events the areani, who had gradually become corrupt, were removed by him [Theodosius] from their positions. This was an organization founded in early times, of which I have already said something in the history of Constans. It was clearly proved against them that they had been bribed with quantities of plunder, or promises of it, to reveal to the enemy from time to time what was happening on our side. Their official duty was to range backwards and forwards over long distances with information for our generals about disturbances among neighbouring nations."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areani
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

I don't see why you couldn't use Roman archers (not auxilia). The romans used lower class civilians to fill the ranks as velites, but then some would use an actual bow. It would help balance out the army structure a little, seeing as without archers the romans are only deadly at a close to medium range.

There are pre-marian rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancy View Post
    There are pre-marian rules?
    Pre-marian rules are when you aren't allowed to use any units that you unlock in campaign after reaching the marian reforms (hastati, principe, triarii, gladiators, velites, roman archers, equites, town watch, and peasants) From what I've seen, it's basically just cwb rules, but you can only use those certain units.