Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Campaign Battle Thread

Default Re: The Campaign Battle Thread

here are the results of the three battles

I'm looking forward to play the next battles but I'm very busy right now and I have the Baccalaureate exam in June so wish me luck.

Thanks Willowran for the help It's was very useful.

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

any time

Here are some screenshots from the battle of gaul vs britannia this was surely a tough battle

the hidden number in the last screenshot is 107

Is the celtic captain in the battle of WRE vs the celts called Constantine? That's weird

These are two battles from my macedon campaign try them and tell me what do you think.

strategos battle 1: Macedon vs Brutti

Placed pikes back in a corner, up on a hill. with lesser pikes like these, the enemy general can cause some serious damage when it charges, as it'd break right through the pikes. Hill i hoped would slow them down a tad. Levies in front, militia as reserve, cav on the flank.

Cav rushed forward, wide, thin lines. Hit their equities, which routed almost instantly. Hit the unit pelstats that got too close from two directions, routed them too. Hastati kept on to my lines. As the ai are wont to do, their general lead the charge. My equities ran back, between their units, hit general from behind. Routed him. started to chase him from the map, but hastati got in the way. Dirverted cavalry to chase down another pelstats. Their general ralllied, my equities hit him again. Got too clsoe to the enemy dogs, who promptly started eating my horse. Routed both cav units when i was tied up in general slay-ing (though i did kill the bugger before getting routed).

While i was micromanaging my cavalry, a hastati unit hit one of my pikes in the flank. I sent my reserve militia pikes, and the middle levy pike to take out the hastati. My cavalry rallied, so i sent them into the rear of the hastati, routing it. The dogs caught up, ran through the levies damaged by the flank attack, and a hastati caught up, routing the damaged levies, and both horses (again). This time, they did not rally. Levies and milita pikes created a "v", and pincered hastati on that that flank. Other levy held off the random pelstats on the other flank.

Enemy moral was low, so i upped pikes and charged... mass route.

Lost extra soldiers due to poor management of dog-slaying, and the flank attack i didn't see 'till too late, but victory.
    Last edited by Willowran; April 30, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

this is another battle of macedon for extra fun

Strategos Battle #2 Macedon vs Thrace

Placed militia in one line, cav off on a flank (my usual formation)

As per my usual POA, rushed with the cav. Well, i looked and saw their army, and decided i didn't need the pikes at all, so i moved them further back (waaaay back), to a small hill. Moved cav forwards.

The ai was more a pain than usual. Usually they go for my infantry, but this time they kept turning to face my horse. An opening was proving difficult to find-they refused to be lured away from their main line. I kept trying for their militia cav. Touch them, and i could lure them quickly away from their infantry, and their general would follow, luring him away from their infantry body... But they stuck too close to their horde... Finally got their general slightly distanced from their main forces, though i lost most of one macedon cav unit to do so, and lost a chunk of all three cav units when a unit of falxmen caught up. However, the chink was made, their formation broken, my opening granted. Routed their general, killed him as he tried to flee. General routed a pelstast from behind. All three units converged on a falxmen who charged waaaay out of formation, routed it.

This left them with one falx, and a couple pelstast, and their militia cav. Their militia cav went for my pikes. I pincered the falx -though my general died the moment lines met. Tripped over a rock or something, the lousy bugger. Still routed their falx, and killed them as they tried to flee. After that, the enemy started to retreat. Militia cav made away unmolested, the remaining two pelstats were routed from behind by cav.

Victory.
    Last edited by Willowran; April 30, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Tell me Willowran which battle did you find harder macedon vs brutii , macedon vs thrace or macedon vs the greek city states ?

Quote Originally Posted by MegasStrategos View Post
    Tell me Willowran which battle did you find harder macedon vs brutii , macedon vs thrace or macedon vs the greek city states ?
    Uno secondo... first:

Strategos, Third Battle: Macedon vs Greek City States

This took me two tries: It is actually kind of funny.

First attempt: Rushed the main gate. Suicided with the lancers to buy me time to get my pikes into position. Once they were... death for the enemy. Anyone who stepped out of the gate was slaughtered. Killed 80% of their troops via my beefed up "v" formation. Then... they stopped sally-ing forth from the city. They stayed behind their walls, staring at me. I had no siege equipment. I blew away all my ammo, hoping to goad them into attacking again...they did not. I drew back a bit... nothing. I started withdrawing with my units, hoping a smaller army might encourage them to resume their assault. Withdrew the skirmishers. Withdrew some pikes. They stayed behind their walls, where i couldn't touch them, until my only unit left was the general. Then they decided to resume the attack.It was horrible. I lost.

Second attempt: I decided to go with my tried and true other strategy. Withdrew from the walls, far from the city, split my forces into three groups, skirmishers and horse in the middle, pikes to the sides. They emptied the city.

Now. If they had not emptied the city, i would have sniped at them from the cienter group, and slammed each pike unit in the back with cavalry when they presented their flanks while heading for one pike flank of the other. Nomatter what they did, they would have to break formation, and split into multiple groups to face my multiple groups... which will always leave their rear open for my faster, maoeverable cavalry units. And any unit that went for pikes would be leaving their sides to my ranged fire, instead of their fronts, so their shields would not offer them protection. Route them one at a time...

However, they did empty the city. So instead, i routed their peasents, and followed them into the city. The spartans and a unit armoured hoplites were pretty close to the gate, so i suicided (again) with my lancers to buy the general time to capture the gate, and close it. I withdrew with every other unit. (One skirmisher decided to withdraw in the opposite direction as every other unit, as did a militia pike, and both ran straight into armoured hoplites before i noticed. They suffered heavy casaulties before routing).

My remaining 5 lancers, and my general unit ran about capturing the gates, and i locked their army out of their city. Walked to the center of town, and waited till i captured the city.

Victory.

Most Difficult of the Threewas definitely the first. The third, as you see, i ignored their army (in my second attempt). The second battle i had three units of competant cavalry units, which was all i needed. The pikes were an extra additive. The enemy army was heavy on skirmishers, who do particularily bad vs a cavalry charge, especially with competant cavalry. The first battle wasn't that bad, but i had worse cavalry to work with, and in micromanaging the cavalry i didn't pay as much attenttion to the infantry as i should-that, and the dogs ate all my horses, which meant their pelstats had an oppourtunity to fire at my pikes. More losses.

(first five pics are my first attempt, second four are the second)
    Last edited by Willowran; April 30, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks Willowran I will upload some new battles soon . For the battle of macedon vs the greek city states I remember that I had a clear victory,unfortunately I didn't caught any screenshot I faced the enemy army directly I routed the peasants first than after a phalanx bloodbath (some pretty heavy casualties from my side) and a hammer and anvil tactics with both my light lancers and my general I routed an armoured hoplite unit I used the idle forces to attack the spartans which to my surprise actually routed I started chasing the other units until they all routed . I was really satisfied with my result because none of my cohorts was lost and none of them routed.

er-cohorts? I assume you refer to your cretans?

At any rate... Yeah, close voctory for me. That is only because nearly their entire army "survived" the battle (though they automatically die with the capture of the settlement). I love that strategy... It has allowed my to capture settlements from full stacks with only a general, and a couple infantry units (to draw the enemy away from their city). It's hilarious.

Nah In the game the unit cards are called cohorts if you checked the battle statistics you will find like 1st cohort, 2nd cohort and so on .
    Here's another battle of my macedon campaign I started a campaign against Thrace in the north and from my position in Byzantium and Tylis I created what looks like a decent army and a thracian army appeared and attacked for making this more challenging I had the idea of making some rules or like objectives to achieve the victory is important but any mistake can lead to the failure of this campaign (this is something I took from Alexander's campaign) so here are the objective:
    1-the faction leader must survive at all costs
    2-all the enemy generals must be killed
    3-the enemy army must be routed
    and remember these objectives are as important as victory because they affect the result of the campaign so here's the savegame and some screenshots.

the facyion leader must not rout too

"enemy army must be routed"

What do you mean by that? I mean, if i win, the enemy will have been routed...

No enemy general can survive? THAT adds some challenge!

EDIT: PS: the battle you uploaded is not the same as the one in your screenshots... I think you goofed
    Last edited by Willowran; May 02, 2012 at 12:57 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast