Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Campaign Battle Thread

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default The Campaign Battle Thread

Find my other stuff here.

I thought it would be a fun and interesting idea to have a thread where players can post their campaign battles for others to play. A basic format would be to save the game when the pre-battle statistics are shown, then upload the save to Downloads > RTW > Battles and post a link to it on this thread. I don't think anyone will mind if we upload all our stuff there because there have only been two uploads in the past year and a half, so it's ready for the hijacking.

If you want help with a particularly hard battle in a campaign, or simply want some other opinions on how others would go about it, post away. Hopefully we'll all learn something about each others play styles. Screenshots welcome.

So start saving those tough campaign battles and challenge others to do it better!

These three battles have been taken from various campaigns on VH/VH. See how you go. I'll post my results later on. Good luck!

The first battle pits three units of Desert Cavalry against a Rebel army consisting of a Rebel General, an Archer, 2 Skirmishers and 2 Peasants. Can you use light cavalry effectively on VH difficulty? The save can be found here.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The second battle features you fighting with an Egyptian army against a similarly sized Pontic army. Unfortunately the enemy have both missile and cavalry superiority. Can lure the enemy into engaging your vulnerable infantry to gain a victory? The save can be found here.

The third battle sees the Greeks fighting the Scipii Romans outside Messana in a bid to take the city on the first turn. Difficulty in this battle is power of the Roman generals and the pila-wielding Hastati. The save can be found here.

An index of the other battles in the thread:
    Two battles by Severus. Macedon vs Thrace and Macedon vs Armenia.
    Brutii vs Carthage by Coolguyz
    Parthia vs Seleucia by Coolguyz
    Two battles by GotR. Gaul vs SPQR and Gaul vs Britannia.
    WRE vs Celts (BI) by GotR
    Two battles by Willowran. Numidia vs Brutii and Spain vs Brutii.
    Last edited by Genius of the Restoration; February 10, 2014 at 01:10 AM.

Default Re: The Campaign Battle Thread

haha the first one is insane. I routed 1 peasant unit
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

That's the first unit I routed too, so I think you started well

Interesting idea! Once I have some free time I may try a few of these.
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

Downloaded all 3 and i'll soon try them out seems fun to me

Chicken's Avatar Senator

i tried the third one and i got a heroic

i think the 3rd one is the easiest out of all of them.

nice idea though, GotR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

When you dowlanded files where to put them to play in Rome.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

if u have windows XP:

go to :
    Program files----the creative assembly (or activision for some people)----rome total war

and there shud be a file called "saves"

if u have windows VISTA:

go to :
    C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\saves

Thank you very much coolguyz.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

no problem.

I thought the third one was harder than the first. How would you rate them in order of difficulty coolguyz?

Chicken's Avatar Senator

id say the second one is THE hardest, cos missile cavalry, if used properly bu the AI (which they kind of do, cos they are always on skirmish mode, and therefore your spearmen can NEVER get close enough to fight melee) can be devastating.

the first one and the third one are kind of similar, the tactic for the first one is get one of your cavalry unit to distract the rebel general, and lead the general to the edge of the map, near the redlines, and just circle the map.
    then u get ur other 2 cavalry to charge into the unprotected missile skirmishers, and then position ur 3 cavs so that they are surrounding the reble general, and then KILL!!!!

the third one (greco-roman battle) is quite straight forwards.
    the roman pila will be quite hard to beat, but what u do is, position urself on the slight hill, and charge the first of the 2 roman armies, and tempt the roman general to charge into ur spikes with ur general.
    then surround the hastati, and attack before they can ready their pilum.

then position all ur troops on the top of the hill (what multiplayer players will call corner camping ) and then wait for the hastati and general to arrive, and then charge + surround, and also try and get the roman general to kill himself first.

the third battle is all about how good ur timing and troops moving skills are. if u let the 2 roman armies join together, then u are doomed, unless u are as good as GotR .

I'd say the second is the most difficult too. Your units are mostly sitting ducks for the enemy missiles. I'll run through how I did it.

I arranged my infantry in a straight line with the stronger Nile Spearmen on the right flank to face off against the Pontic Heavy Cav. I tried to use my Desert Cav to push the Pontic Light Cav and General that were on my left side into the awaiting Chariot General but that failed horribly when my cavalry routed and I had to withdraw my general for fear of the huge torrent of javelins that would have been thrown at hit. One of their Light Cav units chased though, so my general followed too and cut them to pieces after my Desert Cav had left the battlefield. After this unnecessary loss, I played it cautiously. I used my skirmishers on loose formation to absorb the missiles so the phalanxes would survive. I also used my general to charge toward their archers and made them flee a couple of times but couldn't chase because of the line of cavalry and Eastern Infantry.

At this point of the battle, I moved my general around to my left side and the Pontic Heavy Cav attacked. I quickly maneuvred my phalanxes into position as they took the fire and then remained braced for the charge. The charge also conincided with the arrival of the Eastern Inf so I moved my Cilicians from behind the lines where I hoped they wouldn't be hit by missiles to throw their harpoons into the backs of the Easterners. This routed them.

Meanwhile my general caught a unit of Light Cav that got confused when it ran into their general and couldn't maneuvre out of the way. Unfortunately their general survived the battle to fight another day.
    The final result: Heavy losses, but a win.

Interesting way to go about the first battle. I hid one unit in the forest immediately in front of where they set up and as they went after the other two units that I sent left, the third one appeared to charge them from behind in a three-way collision. I then split them up and focussed on a single peasant unit to hurt the army's morale and then took out the general.

I certainly didn't let the two Romans armies join together! That would be suicide!

freaking impossible...i suck
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Lol.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos_Moon View Post
    indeed you do!
    joking

Chicken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos_Moon View Post
    lol.

but carry on trying, because practice makes perfect

Don't be so hard on yourself! Where do you come unstuck? Not sure what difficulty you usually play on, but morale is pretty low for most of the units in these battles. I suppose that's an experience thing, where you know what you can charge and what will rout you. Anyone else got some battles?

ithinkitsdead's Avatar Semisalis

Have to say the Roman armies were my favorite enemy....
    I hate chariots, so that one really gave me trouble.... I lost it a few times before I figured it out.

The first battle pits three units of Desert Cavalry against a Rebel army consisting of a Rebel General, an Archer, 2 Skirmishers and 2 Peasants. Can you use light cavalry effectively on VH difficulty? The save can be found here.

The second battle features you fighting with an Egyptian army against a similarly sized Pontic army. Unfortunately the enemy have both missile and cavalry superiority. Can lure the enemy into engaging your vulnerable infantry to gain a victory? The save can be found here.

The third battle sees the Greeks fighting the Scipii Romans outside Messana in a bid to take the city on the first turn. Difficulty in this battle is power of the Roman generals and the pila-wielding Hastati. The save can be found here.

The first battle result:
    Well i found this battle the most easiest, kick the ass of the front line while the second batalion hammers the back. Tough i got a heroic victory I found it clear.

The second battle:
    I found this one the most difficult, need real strategy to win this one.. Tough i won without my general getting killed (W00T).

The third battle:
    Quite easy, get rid of the first army by frightning it by loose formations, quickly close the formation and charge!! They fled and i killed the general, the whole army then fled. Next cornelius, this one was more difficult, but these romans were so stupid they sacrificed their general and next i just slaughterd them.

Thanks, that was very fun
    Can't wait for the next
    Last edited by HanatielHawk; October 09, 2009 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast