Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Campaign Battle Thread

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: The Campaign Battle Thread

How'd you go? Those chariots were almost the death of me. My general almost got caught in their midst while playing with trying to rout some enemy infantry.

I've got a new battle for you all from BI. You've to use all your cunning to defeat the Celts in this battle as the WRE. It's quite challenging, but that might be my relative inexperience with BI talking, others may find it easy I don't know.

Link here. I'll post how I went about it in a couple of days. I also just noticed I didn't say how I did the Gaul vs Brit one, so I'll post about that too for those who are interested. Enjoy!

Here's how I did them:

The SPQR battle run though is lifted from the speed run thread here.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My army setup at the beginning of the battle was rather ordinary as it usually is when fighting the SPQR stack and consisted of a double line of infantry with cav on either side and the general in the middle for morale and a backup charge. This often happens against the SPQR because there are plenty of pila that really hurt when they hit you and can rout an early unit quite easily if it gets hit twice, this happened to one of my Warbands. Poor unit lost half its men.

I moved my cavalry in and began harassing the enemy Velites, using one unit of cav to drive the skirmishing units out towards the open where another unit would attack them, causing them to rout. I managed to destroy one unit and set another one fleeing before the battle proper commenced.

I managed to isolate a unit of Hastati by luring them to throw their pila at a general's cav unit before running out of the way and then charging at the cav, who quickly ran behind the waiting Warbands who'd just finished their warcry. The general then swung back behind the unit and routed it. You can also see where I was directing the units to march to. I made sure that most of my Warbands were on the wings. When they attacked, I tried to have one unit charge the front and another run up alongside the charging unit. When the charger hit, the second group would advance a little further before charging into the flank from the outside. A unit of cavalry would strike back to rout them in a classic hammer and anvil style.

Here you can see the wings have begun to give in and my Warbands and rolling in, with cav units beginning to move behind the army battle line in preparation for the rout in which I want to catch the enemy general if he doesn't fall while fighting.

And here, the rout. Cavalry units are prepared behind the old enemy lines to catch the general as he makes for his retreat point.

The Gaul vs. Britannia battle
    In the setup stage of the Gaul vs. Brit battle I hid my infantry in the trees. They stayed there for a while. The cavalry units and my general were placed in the open and the first thing they did was to attack the main army in front of them. I wasn't too scared of this army at the beginning because the only fast unit that it had were the Chariot Archers. While these mess up cavalry really badly, they start on skirmish so I could attack the enemy infantry without worrying about them. So the cav circled from three sides after driving away the CAs. My general took the side where the CAs were to minimise casualties because they can take enemy fire a bit more than a normal unit.

Once the peasants routed, the rest of the infantry soon followed. There wasn't much I could do about the CAs though, so they just kept shooting at me. Here you can see my cav running away from them after finishing off the unmounted British units from the first army.

The hard part of the battle was dealing with the chariots. To accomplish this I drew them into the woods where my infantry were hiding. Forests are great for attacking cav in general and even better for chariots as they can't maneuvre very well, which is death to a chariot. They didn't last long in there, though I nearly lost my general a few times as he was quite close to the action at points to keep morale up.

Then at the end of the battle my general and cav units moved in on the Chariot Archers from three sides to push them in towards the forest where they ran into the infantry. Again, the infantry messed up the enemy chariots, securing the victory.

The WRE vs Celt battle
    This battle was fairly hard for me. Not sure how much of that is due to beign new to BI, some others may have found it easier. Anyway, the battle started as most of mine do with some preliminary cavalry skirmishing. To prevent the second army from reinforcing the first, my captain kept tempting the enemy to charging at him. Eventually they came within range of my archers and proceeded to march towards them.

My targets in order for the archers were the chariots, followed by the Gallowglasses and as soon as the wardogs came within range they were targetted. The Gallowglasses appeared pretty potent and didn't have shields so they were an obvious choice. I'm not sure how good chariots are in BI, but thinking about vanilla I was wary of them. I also zoomed in on them and saw axle spikes, so I assumed they did the same to cavalry as before. Wardogs were chosen because they fall like flies before they are released from their controllers. If they get let off they are a massive pain though, so I took them out before they could be unleashed.

The enemy were tired by the time they made it to my troops on the hill. They also tried to go around and attack from the adjacent hill which would remove my height advantage. Again I used my general to lure them back to attack from the direction I wanted them to come at though. Concentrated pila attacks directed towards two units saw it break and then my units flanked and destroyed the enemy spears. The enemy general broke through my lines by died so his bodyguard ran away.

Sorry for the lack of photos of the interesting part of the battle. This was where I'd accidentally been recording a movie of it rather than taking screenshots. Then when I stopped recording it at the end the game crashed

The result

In case you're wondering why there are no screenshots for the last two battles, both photobucket and ImageShack are failing me at the moment. Maybe there's something wrong with my connection. I'll try upload them from the uni computers instead.

Edit: Well everything works now. It didn't work at uni when I tried it because the sites were blocked (don't know why, they're obviously study-related...)
    Last edited by Genius of the Restoration; July 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Hi mate,

no pictures yet?

Pictures up now. The Gaul vs. Brittania battle is probably the hardest in the thread from memory. Those chariots can really bring the hurt to your units and their morale. If anyone comes across a battle they withdraw from or lose feel free to post it here and challenge others to beat it too. Happy gaming!

I win

I rushed the first army before the reinforcements arrived then I ran my troops to a forested area. The AI only saw my general and sent the Barbarian warlord right at my cav box (technique designed to kill chars) backed up by my spears. That was pretty much the end of the battle.

I'll try winning this battle without any cheap tactics when I have nothing better to do.

Haha, good stuff. Cheap tactics are better than no tactics at all. I don't usually use cav boxes in campaigns, having only used cataboxes against a friend when he repeatedly choose Egypt against me. Just goes to show that there are different ways to go about any battle. Have you tried any of the others in the thread?

p.s. love the custom victory message

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Haha, good stuff. Cheap tactics are better than no tactics at all. I don't usually use cav boxes in campaigns, having only used cataboxes against a friend when he repeatedly choose Egypt against me. Just goes to show that there are different ways to go about any battle. Have you tried any of the others in the thread?
    I suppose you're right. Multiplayer and its taboo of hill camping and the like has made me feel guilty doing that stuff against the AI. I don't normally use cataboxes too, especially with light cav. However, I thought it was a good idea when I saw the lone Chariot general strutting to my so obviously hidden army. :1

I agree, there's 4 kinds of victories, but heaps of ways to get them.

I haven't tried any other in this thread. The fact that you said that you think it's the hardest made me want to try it. I'll try some more later.

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration
    p.s. love the custom victory message
    Haha, thanks!

Try the first Severus battle then, that one's pretty challenging too if you're up for it

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

Well... Genius beat me, but i know my mistakes. I goofed a bit. Severus #1

First was a mad hell-bent rush for the gate. Used my general to hold back their first unit that cleared the gates, holding it in place until i could get the phalanx pikes to block it off. I just held that position for a bit. They marched out of the gate, and died. I lost a chunk of pikes due to a press in numbers, had to send in my general and a unit of levy pikes to hold them off until they routed. Never had any other issues like that for the rest of the battle, though. I sent my general after their horse archers, and took them all out. Sent the slingers back for a ram. Knocked down a wall. You can't see it in the second screenshot, but that was a mere instant before my goof became apparent. I was so absorbed in the gate i didn't see their general coming at me from a flank until it was almost too late. I sent the slingers in with a suicide charge while my levy pikes got into position around the general, who became mincemeat. My general charged into him from behind, and not a single horse survived. For a while i just stood there. Shot over the walls to lure their units forwards, shot into their backs as they fled. Their units grew so small they would route at the first wave of arrows, so i moved in. Blocked off the street end with pikes. Their second general died there. (slingers died as bait). Tried to lure more units forwards with archers, and rode them down with my general when they routed, retreating behind my pikes any time their units looked to be made of sterner moral. Slowly advanced down the street, three walls of phalanx blocking their forces off from my archers. Moved in on the center. Their general was hiding from my arrows. The pikes had some difficulty facing the right direction, so i rode around aimlessly behind the enemy lines with my general to take some heat off them. was still straightening my walls when the enemy general struck. first wall (same levy pikes) disintegrated. The second wall (phalanx pikemen) held firm. Victory.
    Last edited by Willowran; April 01, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Haven't seen anyone else win that battle yet. We had different ways to go about the battle too. Looks like your way caused fewer deaths by friendly fire compared to mine. The first time I played this battle, I didn't realise about the other general until it was too late and he routed half my units. Good move with the sacrificial slingers. All in all, bravo!

Boooyeah. I almost ran out of time, though. It was down to the final few minutes on the timer. Usually i try to break through their infantry as it comes through the gate, racing through their units with my general. While my infantry consolidates my capture of the gate my general will race around and capture all of the others, trapping the enemy general and any enemy cavalry outside their own settlement, allowing for easy access to their center. They had a bit too many soldiers and i had a bit too few cav fror that approach, this time, though.

Which one do you suggest i go for next?
    Last edited by Willowran; April 01, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

I dunno, that one is probably the hardest. How are you with cavalry? You could try the first and second battles for something a little different if you like

Battle #1.
    Stuck all of my cav off on a single flank. If there is one thing about me and cavalry, is that i tend to run them into exhaustion. I run EVERYWHERE. As they circled to the left, i circled around their right. Bypassed the peasants, ignored their general, and took out their bowmen with a concentrated 3 v 1 charge. Their skirmishers drew back to avoid my horse. As the peasants and general turned back to fight I withdrew, lured their general out and slammed him from three directions simultanously. No one survived. 10 bowmen had stopped routing, so i chased it down with two cav. the third was too slow, and so got into it with a group of peasants instead. The skirmishers where pretty close to the bows, so i routed the one with a 2 v 1 cav charge, turned back and hit the other, which was sticking with the remaining group of peasants. I disengaged with the third cav (who had been deking it out with the other peasents) and hit the cluster in the rear. Everyone routes. The whole thing was over in a minute. I barely had time for any screenshots

I rather like this whole "challenging battle" idea. Ima burn through these in my spare time. If i ever come across any in my own campaigns i think a riot i'll throw them in here. Should i limit it to vanilla?
    Last edited by Willowran; April 01, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Battle # 2

I forgot that egypt's general rode on a chariot.

Took the pikes, made a simple line. Skirmishers and pirates behind the pikes. Took the general and cav to the right flank, where the landscape rose a bit, giving my the (slight) higher ground. Shot at their horse skirmishers, drawing them out. used the general to screen my cav, then gave chase until i caught and slaughtered the enemy cav. I retreated any time the enemy saw fit to bring up more troops. Used my cav to chase any routers off the map, while my general went back to be bait again. Their easterlings chased my cav too far once, and got hit in the back by my general for their troubles, then hit in the back by my cav again when they turned around.

Lost a chunk of my unit of cav chasing down the pontic heavy skirmishing cavalry. Pontic light skirmishers showed up to that melee party. Lost most of my cav, and my cav routed off the field. General prevailed, and both pontic units died running away.

They sent their archers to shoot at my general...my general rode down their archers, avoiding their remaining easterlings. Chased the archers off the map. Finally they decided to give chase with their general. I had planned to withdraw with my general when that happened, and lead the enemy general into my so-far untouched pikes, but my general was exhasuted, the pontic general was not, and I lost all but the general hmself, who fled the battlefield. Advanced with the pikes. Used skirmishers as a screen against their only remaining skimishers. We exchanged fire...and they ran away. I chased with the skirmishers, only to give off a couple other shots. Victory.
    Last edited by Willowran; April 02, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

I apologise for posting continuously like this, but i can only upload so many screenshots per post...

Battle #3:

Wow. I was surprised. This one took me three shots before i succeeded.

Made two lines with the pikes. One with the mercenaries, to absorb any shots or frontal charges, and the second line everyone else. The archers made a third line, the general was off on a flank.

As i am wont to do, i went ahead with my cavalry. Chased their archers out of formation, and started riding them down. Here is what kept killing me: their general gave chase. My plan was always to pull back, behind the pikes, spear their general there. Apparently roman generals are faster than greek. Anyways. Had to ride in a wide loop to keep ahead of the enemy general, and so landed at my pikes at a slight diagonal. However, mercenaries absorbed the charge and the general was swarmed by a horde of angry pikemen. He did not survive. My general escaped this time nearly unscathed, and went back to riding down skirmishers and archers. The enemy hastati in the first army was behind my lines, chasing archers, so i caught it in a pincer of pikes.
    I reformed my lines as i started fleeing with my general ahead of the second roman general. The roman archers finally had enough, and got off a salvo point-blank range, whiping out most of the general unit and forcing it to route. Lucky for me, it rallied itself just behind my lines. Unfortunately, the general was now too valueable to fight much (the mistake i made twice before . He died, and started a mass route), so i pulled him behind my lines to rally my pikes. Their general got caught in a swarm of pikes and routed, but he too rallied behind his lines. The hastati started showing up. One took a frontal charge into the remaining mercenaries. A unit of pikes from the second line flanked and smote that hastati from the side. The other two hastati ran around to flank me. Took my remaining three pikemen and made sure they got to the hastati pikes-first. The front-assaulting hastati routed, allowing me to bring to bear those two pikes around behind the romans... victory. At last.

Throughout the battle, i stuck my archers to fire flaming ammo, and left them to their own devices for the most part, excepting one time when enemy general #2 posed for my bows mere inches from my frontal pikes, and got several point-blank range burning arrows in his face for his insolence.
    Last edited by Willowran; April 03, 2012 at 06:46 AM.

Coolguyz #1: Carthage/Bruttii

Placed my hastati in a long line, principes behind as reserve, velitiles up front. All with "fire at will". Figure, when the elephants come near, pila will work wonders. Generals, as always, on a flank.

Generals run around, take out most of the enemy cav, punch out a couple town militia, and a unit ilberian infantry before they get caught by the carthaginian general, and have to withdraw from fighting to rally-duty. Carthaginian General chased my generals behind my lines, where it was swamped by the three principes. The carthaginian line hit mine at a slight diagonal, concentrating the brunt of their assault on the two hastati furthest on my left. Pila on the right slaughtered the elephants, who routed without touching my troops. I then wrapped my hastati around their occupied units, and when my principes killed their general, and my hastati caused the other one to route it caused a chain reaction. Victory.

How do you import the saves? I put them in "saves" and it crashed my game.
    Cry "Havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ADRGamin...k?feature=mhee

Remember to rep me if I helped you in any way(:

(\__/)
    ( O.o)
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Please help Bunny reach global domination by copying this message and pasting it to your own signature. Thank you!

really? maybe it was a glitched download? All i do is save them to my save folder, and it works fine...

EDIT: actually, it HAS crashed my rtw a couple times, but all i do is start it up again and then it works fine.
    Last edited by Willowran; April 03, 2012 at 06:43 AM.

Coolguys 2: Parthia vs Seluicid

Cataphracts in one line, generals in another, horse archesr in a third. Horse archers ran back to pepper the enemy army, and i pretty much left them to it. Generals were sent back to throw javelins at elephants, and hack swords at horses. When the original army just crossed the bridge they were charged by cataphracts, and the generals were sent back help out. Mass route in instants. Melee cav did their thing chasing down routers. I looked behind me... apparently the horse archers alone were enough for the other army. No one was left. Victory.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast