Thread: Make Your Own Units?

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon5 Make Your Own Units?

Hi Guys,

This maybe the wrong place to post it, it maybe a spam thread in your eyes, you may just be annoyed with me....

But I am interested in making my own units for TATW. But I am clueless how to. It would be really great if someone could explain to me how to start and all the things I will need to do.

Thanks,

Evan

P.S. I have used the Search function but have not found any thread on this before.

Default Re: Make Your Own Units?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    I have used the Search function but have not found any thread on this before.
    I used to be terribly annoyed when people would say this but now it's went beyond that and straight into hilarity. It's almost analogous to "I searched the whole Moon but couldn't find any stars".

Here, try this humongous modding database that TWC is so well known for: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=272

Your "search" most likely failed because there isn't a "unit making thread" with step by step instructions. It's a combination of several skills like modelling, texturing (these two being the most important), animation (optionally) but also some scripting and even voice acting if you want to go that far.

In any case, good luck.

Misha97's Avatar Libertus

Evan Frayling, you have to be a pro to do it. Plus, who said all the units will turn out great and unbugged if you do it?

Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Indeed everyone has to start someone, just remember you aren't going to produce great results right away. If you've never done any sort of work with texturing or modeling it will probably take you years to produce anything thats decent looking (some people never produce things that are good looking but thats another story). Have fun with it and remember you're likely not to get honest criticism from anyone so be a little harder on yourself than normal.

Icon10 Re: Make Your Own Units?

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Indeed everyone has to start someone, just remember you aren't going to produce great results right away. If you've never done any sort of work with texturing or modeling it will probably take you years to produce anything thats decent looking (some people never produce things that are good looking but thats another story). Have fun with it and remember you're likely not to get honest criticism from anyone so be a little harder on yourself than normal.
    Yes I am used to this. I am still in the proccess of embarking on other projects too:

Learning HTML - learnt
    Learning Flash - half way through learning
    Learning PHP - almost learnt

I like to learn and I like a challenge so I'll probably percivere with this till I can do it to a decent level (hopefully further).

Sorry for the double post.

Before I start delving around in the tutorials and tools, do I need any specific software like 3DS Max to do ths? I hope not...

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You hope wrong.

You'll need some kind of 3d modelling software (milkshape, 3ds max, etc) and 2d texturing software (GIMP, photoshop...)

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

3dsmax, milkshape or gmax for modelling. The last is free in the net. The other cost a fortune to buy...

For skinning, adobe photoshop or gimp, which is free.

edit: axnsan was faster

I won't have to start from scatch, right? There must be a template model of an soldier.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

I have gained some warnings for saying the same thing in other places of the forum...

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

I won't have to start from scatch, right? There must be a template model of an soldier.
    In the tutorials they often take a existing unit to start from. If you wan't a swordsman just use a swordsman unit from the game. This will give you a good strating point and ready to use skeletons, animations and all the stuff you need to make a unit. That way you only have to edit the model and the skin to make a new unit.

JuL14n's Avatar Centenarius

1. Get a modeling software, there are plenty of modeling softwares (Sketchup, GMAX, Acrobat 3D, Maya, zmodeler. milkshape, 3dsmax...)
    2. Learn the basics, and how to texture.

3. Learn a bit about the M2TW file structure.
    4. Convert m2tw models and textures to a readable format.
    5. Look around on the model and see how everything works, and learn a bit about the skeleton/joints (TW games have one of the easiest forms), also learn what the comments does.

6. When you are here, you should know the basics, make your changes to the model, texture and etc. etc.
    7a. Save, convert back, and replace the old files.
    7b. If you want to add units separate, you must edit battle_models.modeldb, export_descr_units, export_units, (and export_descr_buildings if you want to recruit them on the campaign map)

this whole process can take between 2 weeks and 2 months, and years if you want to create great things.
    You might also learn easier if you use some tutorials found here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1017

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn of Carrock View Post
    I have gained some warnings for saying the same thing in other places of the forum...
    Indeed, please refrain from such comments Shocked, it's for your own good.

Icon10 Re: Make Your Own Units?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Indeed, please refrain from such comments Shocked, it's for your own good.
    I see no comment from Shocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    I see no comment from Shocked?
    Because I've deleted it. It was with good reason, believe me.

Well maybe* you can learn some better grammar as well, but that may be* just a silly dream.

* = Proper way to use the word(s).

Ok, I think we're done here. Evan, pm me if you still need this thread.

Closed.