Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Bohemian Units Preview

Default Re: Early Bohemian Units Preview

Great work!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Its good preview with alot of unit pictures, alltho it could include more, I like em.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

haha cool guys congratulations but they seems a bit Russian lookign to me not czech also the names of untis are written in modern Czech right ressuerection I think they were a bit diffrent before 1000 years

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by IVIarkI2I View Post
    haha cool guys congratulations but they seems a bit Russian lookign to me not czech also the names of untis are written in modern Czech right ressuerection I think they were a bit diffrent before 1000 years
    Now you're being waaaay too picky

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

Again your sarcasm!

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

I think they were a bit diffrent before 1000 years
    Of course, because they were in Latin... :-) For instance word "Lučištníci" (Archers) would be "Sagitarzi" (no diacritics before Hus!), which comes from Latin term for Shooter "Sagittarius". "Knížecí družina" (Prince's Suit) was referred to only as Comes/Nobiles or more generally Milites Primi (First ranks, referring to their position in battle line). Organizing soldiers in units of similar type and giving them names is not historical anyway and thus no relevant name could be found for them. All regulars, not noble soldiers, like Frontier Guards and Bohemian Archers for instance would be in history referred to simply as Milites Secundi (Second ranks, referring to their position in battle line). Historical sources don't even give us estimated numbers nor description of participants of Milites Secundi in battles. In really old written Czech the "Strážci hranic" (Frontier Guards) would be something like "Ostrzihacsi Pomezi", but that would be invented name anyway.

Altough Czech originates in early 9th century as an independent language, it was used in written form only from 14th century onwards. That basically means that my name examples above would be some 250 years off anyway since we have no clue how written Czech could have looked in 1080 if there was any in the first place.

We had a discussion about the use of languages and there were basically three options. For one we could fo with English only, which would not be very historical nor immersive at all. On the other hand it would be understood perfectly by everyone. The second choice was to go exactly with history and pierce our mod with Latin. Yet noone speaks Latin and aside from obvious difficulties when getting all names in Latin it would really achieve nothing in our opinion. So we've gone with third choice - modern native languages. The reason was simply that we want anyone playing the faction to get immersed in it and to learn something about it starting with some words in its language - unit names, faction names, character names etc. Obviously all descriptions will be in English and sometimes those names will have bracketed English name for better orientation.

Perhaps you think it not that sensible choice, but it was very well thought through and it will work very well, you can be sure of that.

So hopefully I have shed some light on this matter :-) It's insanely complicated and complex matter so we wanted to deal with it in most reasonable way...

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

That's cool with me maybe I will learn something from gaming.
    After all watching a lot of Cartoon Network helped me to get the hang of English easier

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Oh I see, it was a joke. We only really used the face textures from Rusichi, but it seems those same four guys really get around. Or maybe it was just their fathers that did.
    They are very promiscuous.

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Yeah, that does look weird. I've noticed it before, but I just thought it was game engine weirdness. Bone assignments are not fun to work with; it took me forever to get those long cloaks to move correctly. You've modded the Rusichi models before, right? Do you know what about the bone assignments in the arm I need to fix?
    I laugh in your general direction. Bone assignments are easy .

Quote Originally Posted by stefaneke View Post
    I laugh in your general direction. Bone assignments are easy .
    I bet they are in Max, but they are really time consuming to test with in Milkshape. I can change them easy enough, but they never seem to work right in the game. Then again, what bones do you assign a cloak to in order to make it look right? Should I send you that model so you can straighten it out for me?

Don't you need to go stick your finger in a dyke somewhere to save all of Holland?
    Last edited by sumskilz; October 06, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkman810i View Post
    Now you're being waaaay too picky
    Quote Originally Posted by pacco View Post
    Again your sarcasm!
    I was just surprised when I saw those in czech , just stay calm guys

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Of course, because they were in Latin... :-) For instance word "Lučištníci" (Archers) would be "Sagitarzi" (no diacritics before Hus!), which comes from Latin term for Shooter "Sagittarius". "Knížecí družina" (Prince's Suit) was referred to only as Comes/Nobiles or more generally Milites Primi (First ranks, referring to their position in battle line). Organizing soldiers in units of similar type and giving them names is not historical anyway and thus no relevant name could be found for them. All regulars, not noble soldiers, like Frontier Guards and Bohemian Archers for instance would be in history referred to simply as Milites Secundi (Second ranks, referring to their position in battle line). Historical sources don't even give us estimated numbers nor description of participants of Milites Secundi in battles. In really old written Czech the "Strážci hranic" (Frontier Guards) would be something like "Ostrzihacsi Pomezi", but that would be invented name anyway.

Altough Czech originates in early 9th century as an independent language, it was used in written form only from 14th century onwards. That basically means that my name examples above would be some 250 years off anyway since we have no clue how written Czech could have looked in 1080 if there was any in the first place.

We had a discussion about the use of languages and there were basically three options. For one we could fo with English only, which would not be very historical nor immersive at all. On the other hand it would be understood perfectly by everyone. The second choice was to go exactly with history and pierce our mod with Latin. Yet noone speaks Latin and aside from obvious difficulties when getting all names in Latin it would really achieve nothing in our opinion. So we've gone with third choice - modern native languages. The reason was simply that we want anyone playing the faction to get immersed in it and to learn something about it starting with some words in its language - unit names, faction names, character names etc. Obviously all descriptions will be in English and sometimes those names will have bracketed English name for better orientation.

Perhaps you think it not that sensible choice, but it was very well thought through and it will work very well, you can be sure of that.

So hopefully I have shed some light on this matter :-) It's insanely complicated and complex matter so we wanted to deal with it in most reasonable way...
    coool man never know thx I think the third choice is good idea keep it coming

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Brilliantly Amazing Work!
    +rep
    greetings

Wow! Looking great!

Nice preview!!!!

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Really nice work and im glad you are doing what seems a totally rework of all units, the vanilla MTWII are really bad keep up the good work..

AMAZING !!!

Don't you need to go stick your finger in a dyke somewhere to save all of Holland?
    Is this supposed to be sexual?
    'Sup Gentlemen...
    "Militant" Atheist (Just kidding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A
    My Political Profile http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8819965#post8819965

Quote Originally Posted by Nikephorus16 View Post
    Is this supposed to be sexual?
    No, no, no... haven't you ever heard the folk tale about the Dutch boy who saved all of Holland? Well, Stefanke is a Dutch boy.

Okay, it is extra funny because of the double meaning in English, but that can just be an inside joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Back on topic. Yep, I'm impressed. Good veriaty. They should entertain in game.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Really nice, but archers look like dwarves with their hats

And what about "práčata" - boys with slings, who bombard enemy cavalry with stones and frighten their horses???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast