Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Speech Crafters of Middle-Earth

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon12 Re: Speech Crafters of Middle-Earth

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    @Evan

Well, I hope this thread is a bit more seriously meant than some of your previous ones.
    I really hope that you will make some progress with this, several others already announced to make a speech/voices mod but no one ever produced something. Good luck.

Besides, why don't you begin with something smaller, more realistic than speeches? For example new unit voices (voices when you click the unit) for elves, Gondor or Rohan?

If someone may be interested in doing elven voices, here would something to record:

High Elven Units:
    "Úmanyar dîrâth go peng'a'phelenn" [Úmanyar Pengion] (Úmanyar nérili as quinga'ar'pilin) - Light Elven Archer
    "Úmanyar megil'dîrâth" [Úmanyar megilion] (Úmanyar macarili or Úmanyar nérili'táli) - Elven Infatry
    "Quendi dîrâth go peng'a'phelenn" [Quendi Pengion] (Quendi nérili as quinga'ar'pilin) - Elven Archers
    "Eldar ehtyarili" - Eldar Spearmen
    "Eldar macarili" - Eldar Swordsmen
    "Eldar nérili as quinga'ar'pilin" - Eldar Archers
    "Eldar roccarili'ar'ehtor'" or "Eldar roquenili" - Eldar Lancers
    "Mithlond ohtatyárillon" - Mithlond Warriors
    "Noldor'arquenili" [Quendi'arquenili] - Elven Nobles
    "Ech'hedil Gand" - Ballista
    "Gond'hedil Gand" - Catapult

Silvan Elves:
    "Ech ohter" or "Ech dîrâth" or [Echion] - Silvan Spearmen
    "Quendi dîrâth go peng'a'phelenn" [Quendi Pengion] - Light Elven Archers
    "Eryn tirthin" - Forest Wardens
    "Long ech dîrâth" [Long echion] - Silvan Heavy Spearmen
    "Eryndór than tirthin" - Woodland Sentinels
    "Long megil'dîrâth" [Long megilion] - Silvan Heavy Swords
    "Rochbin go peng'a'phelenn" [Rochbin Pengion] - Silvan Horsearchers
    "Long dîrâth go peng'a'phelenn" [Long Pengion] - Silvan Heavy Archers
    "Sindar dîrâth go peng'a'phelenn" [Sindar Pengion] - Sindar Archers
    "Ech'hedil Gand" - Ballista
    "Gond'hedil Gand" - Catapult
    Yes, I was beginning to fret about the amount of work that would have to go into making speeches. I think I will start with unit calls for now. Daradain an I will get on it.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Speech Crafters of Middle-Earth

look forward to seeing it completed ^-^

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    Yes, I was beginning to fret about the amount of work that would have to go into making speeches. I think I will start with unit calls for now. Daradain an I will get on it.
    Do you know how to say these things in elvish? I could listen to your recordings and say if they are right.
    it would be a bit weird if the pronouncing is not correct.

Under the patronage of Pøntifex Maximus

Well, what ever works. New unit voices would be good, though I still think speeches would be really good. Either way, I will be doing as much as I can. Also, in regard to unit lines, I would suggest that we avoid using alternate tongues. Though throwing in elvish every now and then would be a great touch, I think it would be better if they spoke english for the most part. The reasons are as follows:

Elvish, orcish, dwarvish, and aduneic would be really cool to have, but seeing as how those languages don't actually exist, it would be very difficult to get pronunciation and wording correct. Another reason to keep it with a single language, is that it might confuse players a lot. For example, its a little difficult to to tell what your told your unit to do when you can't understand the difference between "attack" and "retreat." And lastly, the soldiers say things while in combat. (Taunts, orders, etc.) If they only speak elfish to you, and english to their enemies, its just a bit weird. In order to iron out these problems, we would need to rerecord ALL of what the elven soldiers say, and I'm not sure we wan't to do that. However, it that is the general consensus, I would be for it.

I am happy to help in the form of writing to put in the vault for if you get round to the speeches - check my AARs to see if you like the way I write and I will in the mean time try and come up with some rough jottings for idea

EDIT:

I knew I had put on up somewhere! Here is one I wrote a while back (first post in thread), but I think it should be kept for one of the 'good' factions, but only for those with the fierce in battle or berserker traits etc

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=284122
    Last edited by Momus; October 07, 2009 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daradain View Post
    Well, what ever works. New unit voices would be good, though I still think speeches would be really good. Either way, I will be doing as much as I can. Also, in regard to unit lines, I would suggest that we avoid using alternate tongues. Though throwing in elvish every now and then would be a great touch, I think it would be better if they spoke english for the most part. The reasons are as follows:

Elvish, orcish, dwarvish, and aduneic would be really cool to have, but seeing as how those languages don't actually exist, it would be very difficult to get pronunciation and wording correct. Another reason to keep it with a single language, is that it might confuse players a lot. For example, its a little difficult to to tell what your told your unit to do when you can't understand the difference between "attack" and "retreat." And lastly, the soldiers say things while in combat. (Taunts, orders, etc.) If they only speak elfish to you, and english to their enemies, its just a bit weird. In order to iron out these problems, we would need to rerecord ALL of what the elven soldiers say, and I'm not sure we wan't to do that. However, it that is the general consensus, I would be for it.
    I agree, though I think just the unit calls would be fine if they were in Elvish or any other language. When you're issuing an order, if they respond in (elvish-sounding?) English, that does make much more sense. It'd be awesome if my Eldar Swordsmen actually said "Eldar macarili" when I selected them.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

People say "how can you speak Latin when it is a dead language that hasn't been heard (in its true form) for just less than 2000 years". Simple: READ IT. It is pretty obvious. Just work it out. I will happily translate piece of Elvish into phonetic spellings, e.g. "Namárië" > "Nam - ahr - ree - ay" (Note, I presume that is how you pronounce it?)

Anyway, we have subtitles.

We have audio of Tolkien speaking it for God's sake!

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

This sounds like a great idea ! If I were to have a functioning mic (I may have one stashed somewhere ), I'd volunteer in a heartbeat! Voice impressions are my primary hobby, and I can do just about any voice on the list (Elves and Orcs would be my best )... I'll let you know if I ever get a working mic ...
    RTR RULES!!!!

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    People say "how can you speak Latin when it is a dead language that hasn't been heard (in its true form) for just less than 2000 years". Simple: READ IT. It is pretty obvious. Just work it out. I will happily translate piece of Elvish into phonetic spellings, e.g. "Namárië" > "Nam - ahr - ree - ay" (Note, I presume that is how you pronounce it?)

Anyway, we have subtitles.

We have audio of Tolkien speaking it for God's sake!
    The thing is that your precious little English language has a different general pronounciation than most other Western European languages as far as I know.

I doubt it's "Nam - ahr - ree - ay", what I know about Elvish spelling removes the "ay" at the end and replaces it with a long "e" (like in wh'e're), in addition I doubt the "r" being used is the English "r", but a sharper version... "Nam - ar (an R from the continent) - ree - e"

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerJohn View Post
    I doubt it's "Nam - ahr - ree - ay", what I know about Elvish spelling removes the "ay" at the end and replaces it with a long "e" (like in wh'e're), in addition I doubt the "r" being used is the English "r", but a sharper version... "Nam - ar (an R from the continent) - ree - e"
    Agreed. As you said the "r" is a sharper one like in "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", kinda.

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Agreed. As you said the "r" is a sharper one like in "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", kinda.

If you can pronounce dutch, you can pronounce Elvish. It is that simple. You only need to know some basic rules, but the Dutch pronouncing is exactly the same

Inarus: If you are english, you can't just read it and pronoounce it like in English.
    Last edited by Eöl; October 08, 2009 at 08:59 AM.

Under the patronage of Pøntifex Maximus

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Eol_Nauglamir View Post
    If you can pronounce dutch, you can pronounce Elvish. It is that simple. You only need to know some basic rules, but the Dutch pronouncing is exactly the same

Inarus: If you are english, you can't just read it and pronoounce it like in English.
    If you can pronounce Norwegian, you can pronounce English.
    I'm sure that goes for many other languages too (Finnish...).

And JAL, yeah, that kind of "r".

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with units using other languages. For example: Lok-Na-Rim should call themselves "Lok-Na-Rim" when selected. Same goes for eldar swordsmen and whatnot. However, I don't think that 'everything' the units say should be in their patron language. It can get confusing, and amount to quite a bit of work. Attack orders and unit responses would be awesome in elvish, that much is certain. However, I would rather not end up recording 'run,' 'walk,' 'retreat,' and any other obscure command. If we decide to do all, we would need to do 'all,' cause nothing is more aggravating than an incomplete mod.

But, if that is the general consensus, I would be all for it. I just hope we can find all the different language stuff for dwarves, dunadain, easterlings, and haradrim. If we do it for elves, we will need to at least some of it for the other teams as well.

I think you should stick with english. Anyways: this is a good site that PSIHOPAT posted: http://www.stonewashed.net/sfx.html. Also, you should think of using BFME sounds if you have them.

Love NCAA football? Go here.

regarding this whole english or not question: I was requesting only new sounds for the unit names (sound when you click them) and not sounds for all battle or campaign map events, unlike someone wants to record thousands of sounds.
    And the unit name in, for example elvish, is really no problem since you know what their name is anyway through their description...
    Last edited by King Kong; October 14, 2009 at 08:39 AM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

PSIHOPAT's Avatar Senator

The main priority is sound for evil generals on the strategy map(Issengard and Mordor).Player spend 2/3 of the time of game on the strategy map,and hear every time words like "OOOORCS" ,"BE READY TO FIGHT","DON'T SLEEPING HERE" when clicking on the general,this thing became very iritating.Nazgul don't even need to say somthing.Is enough and much better to have sound of dismounted nazgul.

Edit:Few words...maybe some are useful:

Behind the shuttered door a voice from below the earth

rumbled like the fiery pits of the underworld

And with such ferocious strenght it spoke, the entire world trembled

"Hearken to me my legions... walk out into the light and

bring death and darkness with thee

March onwards my legions... destroy everything in thy path

March onwards... into battle

...March to war"

The night opened it's eyes and gazed upon the gathered armies of men

Who greeted the coming horrors with a warrior's hail and swords prepared to kill

Endless was the stream of black that float from the heart of darkness

Greeting the men with a deafening shriek and weapons raised in malicious hate

Onwards onto the battlefield to welcome death and embrace the sufferings of war

With a thundering roar the armies clashed filling the day with the sound of death

Still the voice thundered over the sounds of the battle,

spreading it's poisonous words to the attacking legions, encouraging

their maiming, praising their killing and honouring the

slaughter they brought with them... and pushed them further onwards:

"Hearken to me my legions... walk further through the light

and bring death and darkness with thee

March onwards my legions... bring pain and suffering on the way

March onwards... into victory

March onwards... into battle"
    Last edited by PSIHOPAT; October 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

PSIHOPAT's Avatar Senator

Some evil sounds http://www.shockwave-sound.com/sound...er_sounds.html

Some music for strategy map(evil factions) or battle map(tension) http://www.dreamstate.to/mp3s.htm

Begining of this is good for evil (for battle) http://www.trilulilu.ro/bricteo/80f2ea28165842

Some good sounds for units or general for evil or good( Death Knight sound is nice...and many others) http://www.thanatosrealms.com/war2/horde-sounds.html
    http://www.thanatosrealms.com/dk/sounds.html

Text for actors:

-"I am the ranger-general of this land."
    -"I can hit a bird in the eye, flying."
    -"None may threaten the Elf Lands."
    -"You'll regret ever entering my forests."
    -"Come taste the wrath of the Elves."
    -"We keep our long vigil and wait."
    -"Justice may be blind, but I'm not."
    -"Only the guilty need fear me."
    -"Let's move. Five meter spread, no sound."
    -"I'm more than a ranger. I'm a Night Ranger."
    -"Shot through the heart, and I'm to blame."
    -"Ugh, I hate these running gags."
    -"Sorry, I'm out to lunch."
    -"My tribe is proud and strong."
    -"I pray this old body does not fail me."
    -"My people... are strong."
    -"I will lead them... to their destiny."
    -"I see dead people"
    -"Look at me, I'm happy."
    -"Leave it to meh', I taka' big weight off his shouldas'."
    -"I'm hungry like the wolf!"
    -"No time for play, we have war to fight."
    -"Death... is not the end."
    -"Ya, ya, what is it?"
    -"The Orcs slaughtered my people."
    -"And their demon magics consumed our world."
    -"We that are left will reclaim what we can."
    -"Of life and honour amongst the ashes of our history."
    -"At my age, you see death everywhere. DEATH!"
    -"The Lich King has given me true power."
    -"I'll be twice the king my father ever was."
    -"My will is my own."
    -"Dreadlords... do it in the dark."
    -"I get cranky when I haven't been fed."
    -"I must feast on souls."
    -"I'm always on the winning side."
    -"Join me, or die."
    -"I hate people. But I love gatherings."
    -"Death shall cleanse the world."
    -"Let blood drown the weak."
    -"The living be cursed!"
    -"I love the dead. Frequently."

Maybe is useful http://www.gearwire.com/antares-voicething.html
    Last edited by PSIHOPAT; October 18, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

MaxMazi's Avatar Back in the game!

I had some fun in creating this i took 2 samples of speeches from the OP and did this. Please don't be too harsh, i did it for fun!:
    Proud son of Louis Lux
    My Gallery / My workshop

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMazi View Post
    I had some fun in creating this i took 2 samples of speeches from the OP and did this. Please don't be too harsh, i did it for fun!:
    Could use some editing, but all in all it's good.

P.S. What's whit that laugh at the end? "HA!HA!"
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

MaxMazi's Avatar Back in the game!

I dare you to do better! (just for the sake of this thread) . I didn't see any other attempts, so i encourage anyone to try and post.

The laugh was in script!
    "Elves, eh? Elves! All prancin' about, all fancy and cheery with their bows and shiny gold armor and pointy little ears... A bunch'a bloody cute fairies! The first orc to bring me one of their heads on a platter, DOESN'T get fed to the wargs! HaHA!"
    Proud son of Louis Lux
    My Gallery / My workshop