Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Speech Crafters of Middle-Earth

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

Icon6 Re: Speech Crafters of Middle-Earth

I redid the Galadhrim units, they are now more forceful.
    I also did all the High Elven units, enjoy!
    Let me know if I missed anything!

Default Re: Speech Crafters of Middle-Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    I redid the Galadhrim units, they are now more forceful.
    I also did all the High Elven units, enjoy!
    Let me know if I missed anything!
    Good work Ozz!
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"

http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-rebirth

Deftly done!

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Deftly done!
    Thx! What next... Elven campaign sounds for generals/agents, or perhaps Rohan?

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

Campaign map voices are more important for me...

Nice job with the voices. I'd like to say though that the word Galadhrim shouldn't be pronounced as "galádrim", but "galáthrim" (where th sounds like in English "these"). The same goes for Caras Galadhon, or Maedhros, ect.

Thx! What next... Elven campaign sounds for generals/agents, or perhaps Rohan?
    You should continue with the Elves. Would be annoying if we got new sounds for most units except generals/agents
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"

http://www.moddb.com/mods/morrowind-rebirth

Quote Originally Posted by Ellin Athinaios View Post
    Campaign map voices are more important for me...

Nice job with the voices. I'd like to say though that the word Galadhrim shouldn't be pronounced as "galádrim", but "galáthrim" (where th sounds like in English "these"). The same goes for Caras Galadhon, or Maedhros, ect.
    That's what I had thought, but I wasn't sure, but I think I did, at least for one of them, say "Caras Galađon". I'll bear that in mind for the future(or should I redo those ones again? ())
    I'll start on some campaign responces like I did for the Tzeench faction in CoW.

Oh, btw, does anyone have any elven catchphrases I could put into the responses? My elvish is a little rusty, I don't want to try and say "attack!" but actually say "your mother" for example!
    Last edited by Ozzmosis; March 06, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

Just to let you guys know, I am trying to do these voices in Sindarin, do you think this is a good idea? It's quite hard, as there are no translators, so I have to search in the dictionary and websites to find out about the grammar etc.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Just to let you guys know, I am trying to do these voices in Sindarin, do you think this is a good idea? It's quite hard, as there are no translators, so I have to search in the dictionary and websites to find out about the grammar etc.
    I suggest -if you possess some volumes of it- to make use of the HoM-E as well.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some nice sides out there, but to get greater picture of it, I'd suggest to make use of the volume V The Lost Road, part three: the Etymologies and volume XI The War of the Jewels, part four: Quendi and Eldar.

Keep it up!

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

I'm afraid that is the only Tolkien literature I do not possess! I think I've got the hang of the verb conjugation, but I'm not sure whether there are cases or declinations of nouns, for example, for "I enter the city" I said "neledhon Minas". I found the verb "neledh", "to enter" and I think it conjugates to "neledhon" in 1st person. City is "minas" but I'm not sure whether it would change in the accusative.

Blog Entries

I'm afraid that is the only Tolkien literature I do not possess! I think I've got the hang of the verb conjugation, but I'm not sure whether there are cases or declinations of nouns, for example, for "I enter the city" I said "neledhon Minas". I found the verb "neledh", "to enter" and I think it conjugates to "neledhon" in 1st person. City is "minas" but I'm not sure whether it would change in the accusative.
    Sindarin is different from Quenya when it comes to inflection of nouns. In Quenya the inflection is done like in Latin by changing the ending of the noun by using its stem + a suffix. In Sindarin however, this is not the case. Inflection is done by mutations which depend on the meaning of the preposition. Mutations mean, that the first consonant will be changed according to the preposition (vowels do not dictate mutations of the singular noun but stay unaltered in singular. When it comes to the plural(s), they play a major role and as well dictate changes). Some examples of prepositions are: "i" = the; "an" = to, for; "dan" = against; "en-" = of the; "ed" = out of; "or" = above, on; &c.
    Every preposition will dictate the mutation of the noun. Hence when you're building a sentence in sindarin, besides finding the actual words, your major concern is with the prepositions, finding them or knowing them and then do the mutations, after it do the plural(s) and in the end you can take care of the verb and its declination, which actually is the easiest part - well not really though .
    In your case "i" - which is the- dictates the "soft mutation", hence it should read "minnon i vinas" (I enter the city.) or "neledhon i vinas" (I go in(-to) the city.), just as you might like it. Other words for city, depending of the kind of a city "caras, ost and othronn"
    "minnon i garas", "minnon i ost", "minnon i othronn" &c.
    "neledh" means "go in(-to)" and "three" btw
    Like the sentence in the Hobbit:
    "Lheben teil brann i annon ar neledh neledhi gar godrebh"
    "Five feet high [is] the door and three can go through together"

Concerning the grammar this is a very nice site -maybe you know it- which summons up the chapters I've had suggested and quite a bit more.
    Related to the site above is the verb project. When you think you have a hang on the conjugation(s) of verbs, just take a look at it
    As for the vocabulary, I would suggest this site.

PS: Whoever might have thought sindarin would be easier then quenya, well, you're wrong
    PPS: And please, do yourself a favour, abstain from using the site "The council of Elrond" it's well.. let's be polite, not that good...
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 25, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

What have i gotten myself into! I might have to get you to write out the little speeches since you are seemingly fluent in Sindarin. I didn't know Sindarin was so much more complicated than Quenya, since I thought that it was the more common of the languages. I might have a look at doing them in Quenya.
    Also, I have seen those sites (not sides!) apart from the verb reconstruction one, that could be helpful, if I decide on going for Sindarin! I've not used the site "Council of Elrond" so that's ok!
    Thx a lot for your help! you need a bit of rep!
    Edit: if you can confirm, in Quenya, does "herunya" mean "my lord"?
    Last edited by Ozzmosis; March 08, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries

You're always welcome
    @quenya vs. sindarin:
    Quenya is way better for writing purposes then sindarin is. There's a reason why even in the mythologie the Sindar developed letters later then the Noldor.
    @side vs. site:
    LOL right

PS: Some links
    Quenya grammar
    Quenya dictionary
    Last edited by Aikanár; March 08, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    You're always welcome
    @quenya vs. sindarin:
    Quenya is way better for writing purposes then sindarin is. There's a reason why even in the mythologie the Sindar developed letters later then the Noldor.
    @side vs. site:
    LOL right
    I can tell this is going to take a long time to do, but if people want Elvish I can try!

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

I would definitely prefer voices in Quenya/Sindarin, with the proper pronunciation of course.

Blog Entries

Edit: if you can confirm, in Quenya, does "herunya" mean "my lord"?
    Confirmed
    "heru" = lord + "-nya" = my

I've looked up places for the pronounciation, and I'll work on my Quenya! :p
    I guess I could redo the unit voices in Elvish as well....
    This is a bigger project than it first seemed...
    I might have to open a new thread called "Elvish voicemod"?, and this can be left for the rest of the factions to be done in english (I don't think anyone needs the orcs speaking in the black tongue, or Rohirric, or Westron, or if they do, will need to wait years.)

Very nice. If I could have it my way, we should try to focus on campaign voices. Unit voices are great, but there are a ton of them and they are not quite as 'important.' (You pay less attention to them).

Bad news on this end. My main computer's processor fried and so I will be unable to do anything with Total War for a while. (Processors are expensive and college is currently taking up most of my funds) I can continue to do recording and stuff with my other computer, but I don't think I will be able to actually get the voices in-game.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Daradain View Post
    Very nice. If I could have it my way, we should try to focus on campaign voices. Unit voices are great, but there are a ton of them and they are not quite as 'important.' (You pay less attention to them).

Bad news on this end. My main computer's processor fried and so I will be unable to do anything with Total War for a while. (Processors are expensive and college is currently taking up most of my funds) I can continue to do recording and stuff with my other computer, but I don't think I will be able to actually get the voices in-game.
    Bad news... but I shall press on with the project. Would be nice if we had other people doing the other factions, though! *hint hint to everyone*

Blog Entries

Bad news... but I shall press on with the project. Would be nice if we had other people doing the other factions, though! *hint hint to everyone*
    Nice to read that
    If you need anything translated, regardless if it might be into sindarin or quenya, or if you need support in any way, just feel free to ask for it.