View Poll Results: Army of Death in the game?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Included as faction unit (for Gondor)

7 3.07%
  • Included as mercenary unit (for Gondor)

22 9.65%
  • Included as 'timed' event/recruited unit

69 30.26%
  • Included as ancillary for Aragorn

40 17.54%
  • Should not be included!

90 39.47%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Army of Death - Vote Now

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Default Re: Army of Death - Vote Now

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Wulf View Post
    The Silvian Elfs have Ents as mercenaries. Why wouldn't Army of Death be hire-able by Gondor
    The problem I have(and many other members) with the army of the dead is that they didn't really fight in the lore. They just scared the Corsairs enough to make the southern fiefs of Gondor victorious.How would this be represented in game, it obviously can't be. Now in the films, the army of the dead was a Deus ex machina killing machine. Would it be fair to have an unstoppable unit for one faction and not for others? and about the mercenary idea, only the King of Gondor could call on the Dead Men of Dunharrow, in the mod, Gondor doesn't have a king.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Epic fail, you cannot gauge how much skill shooting a firearm is by playing a computer game, it's impossible.
    Yes actually, because I am pathetic at FPSs

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

only the King of Gondor could call on the Dead Men of Dunharrow, in the mod, Gondor doesn't have a king.
    Well we have to make kind for Gondor.
    I was suggested this idea in suggestion thread:
    When you are playing as Gondor, there will be event where Aragorn, ranger from north, come to Minas Tirith. Then he will become a king of Gondor.
    And with Aragorn come Gandalf the White. Then you can stand on the walls of White City with Aragorn, Gandalf, Boromir and Faramir.
    (Boromir and Faramir submod should be included on official mod)

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    The problem I have(and many other members) with the army of the dead is that they didn't really fight in the lore. They just scared the Corsairs enough to make the southern fiefs of Gondor victorious.How would this be represented in game, it obviously can't be. Now in the films, the army of the dead was a Deus ex machina killing machine. Would it be fair to have an unstoppable unit for one faction and not for others? and about the mercenary idea, only the King of Gondor could call on the Dead Men of Dunharrow, in the mod, Gondor doesn't have a king.
    Maybe my version of Lord of the Rings is not the real one. It say JRR Tolkien on it. Near the end it talks about how Aragorn jumps off one of the black ships with his banner up on the mast. And the army of dead comes out of the ships behind them. I will have to reread it but I read up on it a couple of nights ago.

Anyways I might mod in my own mercenary stack except they will a renaissance army with muskets and cannon. Maybe they were called army of dead not just because they were living dead and scary but also scary cause they had guns.
    Last edited by Valiant Champion; October 03, 2009 at 10:29 AM.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Champion View Post
    Maybe my version of Lord of the Rings is not the real one. It say JRR Tolkien on it. Near the end it talks about how Aragorn jumps off one of the black ships with his banner up on the mast. And the army of dead comes out of the ships behind them. I will have to reread it but I read up on it a couple of nights ago.
    No, that's correct. The Army of the dead scare the Corsairs into jumping off the ships. It never mentions they kill anyone.
    Anyways I might mod in my own mercenary stack except they will a renaissance army with muskets and cannon. Maybe they were called army of dead not just because they were living dead and scary but also scary cause they had guns.
    Civitate

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Guns are the cowards weapon of choice, for when you kill someone you owe him to look in his eyes as they fade.

And while guns require skill, too, it`s certainly is easier to kill with a gun than it`s in close combat with an sword.

But i woulnd`t say guns require less tactics, they require different tactics.
    Yes, different tactics.
    Tactics that, in my opinion, don't fit TW or strategy games in general.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerJohn View Post
    Yes, different tactics.
    Tactics that, in my opinion, don't fit TW or strategy games in general.
    I heard that ETW was rated Boring because you just watch two sides of infantry shoot at each other and they're right.

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    I heard that ETW was rated Boring because you just watch two sides of infantry shoot at each other and they're right.
    I agree.
    Played online with my friend - we were really careful entreing the other's area of artillery and gunfire, so it was pretty boring even with a human player against you.
    Naw, man, I still love RTW.

(Oh, okay, M2TW is okay in some cases...)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerJohn View Post
    I agree.
    Played online with my friend - we were really careful entreing the other's area of artillery and gunfire, so it was pretty boring even with a human player against you.
    Naw, man, I still love RTW.

(Oh, okay, M2TW is okay in some cases...)
    Can you explain to me why I have never played a better Total War battle than what you get in RTW? I mean no sequel compares. The combat is just not as satisfying.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Can you explain to me why I have never played a better Total War battle than what you get in RTW? I mean no sequel compares. The combat is just not as satisfying.
    I agree that RTW is a classic. My fav. But I can still find a place for ETW in my book!
    Last edited by Evan MF; October 04, 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    I agree that RTW is a classic. My fav. But I can still find a plkace for ETW in my book!
    I like Empire, wish it were faster, but guns don't satisfy me although the bayonet mκlιes are very accurate, finally they stab each other!

Medieval 2 is good as well but the combat system confuses me. In RTW I could win half the battles with half the casualties. God knows.

And then there is Rome, pity about the expansions, never did like BI but Alexander is okay (what do you expect me to say, it's my second name ). But there is nothing more satisfying than taking conrol of the Legions of the Senatus Populusque Romanum and annihilating every stinking faction on the map (even better - sorry, harder - if you do it in historical order.

Misha97's Avatar Libertus

As a bodyguard for Aragorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha97 View Post
    As a bodyguard for Aragorn.
    Yes, and then could the bodyguard change at a set event?

Manoflooks's Avatar Senator

I think the Army of the Dead should be a spawned rebel army that only attacks factions Gondor is at war with, not controlled by Gondor though.
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

See my AAR, From Kingdom to Empire-An Ottoman AAR

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon10 Re: Army of Death - Vote Now

I like Empire, wish it were faster, but guns don't satisfy me although the bayonet mκlιes are very accurate, finally they stab each other!

Medieval 2 is good as well but the combat system confuses me. In RTW I could win half the battles with half the casualties. God knows.

And then there is Rome, pity about the expansions, never did like BI but Alexander is okay (what do you expect me to say, it's my second name ). But there is nothing more satisfying than taking conrol of the Legions of the Senatus Populusque Romanum and annihilating every stinking faction on the map (even better - sorry, harder - if you do it in historical order.
    Yes, RTW i the only one that has a clear and realistic goal. In MTW2 I found the game lacking a point, a goal , no way forward. The same is in ETW too and even TATW.

On the contrary, if you played any other faction besides Rome you we 'free' and could go on what campaigns you wanted.

RTW had the best balance and I hope they come out with an even better RTW2!

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    RTW had the best balance and I hope they come out with an even better RTW2!
    Better? Is that possible (well maybe in graphics but then again even those were great!).

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

I gotta say one thing they could improve on RTW. The AI.
    I had 1 unit of regular Spartan Hoplites (They were reinforcements). The enemy had 2 units of horses, 5 archers and a few infantry units. Waht they did was:
    First charge the CAV head on in my spear wall. Then send in the inf to attack me while the archers were running back and forth in front of my soldiers. After I slaughterd the infatry which came at me one unit at a time I had to chace the enemy archers who even then did not attack.
    Yeah great balance...

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

if included then as event i think..makes most sense. maybe after minas tirith falls. when that happens gondor (the player) is on its knees already usually and that event would give the player another shot.
    a couple or only one huge unit(s) with ap and no upkeep and three hitpoints - one time only

would acually make sense..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    if included then as event i think..makes most sense. maybe after minas tirith falls. when that happens gondor (the player) is on its knees already usually and that event would give the player another shot.
    a couple or only one huge unit(s) with ap and no upkeep and three hitpoints - one time only

would acually make sense..
    It wouldn't make sense. As I have already said, only Isildur's heir could have summoned the Dead Men of Dunharrow, plus they didn't actually fight in the books, and in the films, they were unstoppable killing machines, How is the TATW team supposed to represent either end of the spectrum?
    Civitate

I love how there is one group in this thread (including the OP) Discussing RTW, and another three people actually discussing the army of the dead.

And then there is me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ♔IPA35♔ View Post
    Drugs are not very popular AFAIK.