View Poll Results: Army of Death in the game?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Included as faction unit (for Gondor)

7 3.07%
  • Included as mercenary unit (for Gondor)

22 9.65%
  • Included as 'timed' event/recruited unit

69 30.26%
  • Included as ancillary for Aragorn

40 17.54%
  • Should not be included!

90 39.47%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Army of Death - Vote Now

zorro59's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Army of Death - Vote Now

I am the only one that voted for a unit

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ęsir View Post
    It is impossible for bot to transle from English to Latvian because Latvian language is older for some 2000 years (like Indian sanscrit or Latin language) and have much wider vocabulary. In Latvian the words have only one meaning (one word - one meaning) so bot translation is not possible.
    So this didn't make any sense to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post
    So what does what he translated mean?
    Its irrelevent whether they fought spiritually or physicaly, it depends on the level of lore accuracy the addition to the game it will be and the level tactical sense.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    So this didn't make any sense to you?
    No. If your English text made little sense than this translated - not any at all.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

No. If your English text made little sense than this translated - not any at all.
    Can you understand this better:

It is not important about physical and spiritual. It is important if it add value to the game or if it is Lore-correct or if it is correct in tactics.

In fact I'm thinking that Lore prevails and thus there must be Army of Dead.

EDIT: I'm lore freak, so do not reprove it!

A long quote, but hopefully it may advance this topic:

Gimli talking about the taking of the pirate ships:

"...Pale Swords were drawn; But i know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them.

"To every ship they came that was drawn up, and then they passed over the water to those that were anchored; and all the mariners were filled with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to the oars. Reckless we rode among our fleeing foes, driving them like leaves, until we came to the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post

"...Pale Swords were drawn; But i know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear. None would withstand them.

"To every ship they came that was drawn up, and then they passed over the water to those that were anchored; and all the mariners were filled with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to the oars. Reckless we rode among our fleeing foes, driving them like leaves, until we came to the shore."
    ???

Hmm.. What?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post

This testimony proves nothing. There are still question - "their blades would still bite"?

This testimony proves nothing. There are still question - would "their blades would still bite"?
    Yay, but it shows how much terror they caused. Whether they could fight with their blades is not important, for any lesser man and probably every orc too would run the moment he saw them. Hell, even Gimli was scared on the Path of the Deaths.

Sadly, as long as the player can controll them in any way, there will be problems. For example?

If an player decides to use them against elves, they shoulnd`t do anything at all, for elves were not affected by their terror. The game can`t handle this well.

Then as an unit you could give them the "scary enemy units trait", but this isn`t strong enough to represent them good.

Giving Aragorn much fear would represent it better, though you woulnd`t have the army sweeping over the battlefield. And again, fighting against elves would still cause problems.

So the only way of adding them is in an heavy scripted way.

Good faction trolls, IMHO. Have them on a super large "swarm" unit (many individual entities on a single "stand", as it were), but only few in number.

Spawned unit due to special effect - i.e. Aragorn or his heir reaches Dunharrow. A single unit spawns for him. Super stats, equivalent to ents etc.

Yay, but it shows how much terror they caused. Whether they could fight with their blades is not important, for any lesser man and probably every orc too would run the moment he saw them. Hell, even Gimli was scared on the Path of the Deaths.

Sadly, as long as the player can controll them in any way, there will be problems. For example?

If an player decides to use them against elves, they shoulnd`t do anything at all, for elves were not affected by their terror. The game can`t handle this well.

Then as an unit you could give them the "scary enemy units trait", but this isn`t strong enough to represent them good.
    Well, for the sake of gameplay, if this unit were to be added, forget the elves. Make the unit from cavalry, 250 ghosts per unit, unkillable, one attack each. That way it would hopefully be an effective router instead of an actual killer. It might be better just to add em as an ancillary tho.
    Spoilers are evil, read spoiler below to find out why.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Information not found

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Ambition View Post
    It might be better just to add em as an ancillary tho.
    Easiest solution.

jinjo's Avatar Senator

i vote for included as mercenary unit
    but if it will not be done, tatw will be same for me

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

I want them as Mercs but opinion is against me so...

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS WRONG WITH THEM AS AN ANCILLARY?

I think people who voted "no" are mostly just tired of hearing about this damn Army of the Dead stuff, lol.

At least that's why I voted no.

I "DON'T" think they should be included because they didn't fight at all according to the books...
    I KNOW MY NAME IS supposed TO BE MISPELLED
    Please leave your name if you give me rep, so I can rep you back thanks

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

But as an ancillary they could increase Fear or something, WHERE IS THE LORE AGAINST THAT?

I'm all for them being a timed event, that's how they were used in LOTR:TW for Rome: Total War and that worked very well in my opinion. Their implementation would add an entirely new layer of strategy to the campaign; use them too early and they will be wasted, use them too late and they won't be effective. Personally I can't really see a completed Lord of the Rings game without the army of the dead. Maybe you could even make it an optional sub-mod/patch? Then people could choose if they wanted it. It would also be really effective (if possible) that when Aragorn reaches Dunharrow that he gains them as an army, that way the player could choose when to recruit them.