View Poll Results: Army of Death in the game?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Included as faction unit (for Gondor)

7 3.07%
  • Included as mercenary unit (for Gondor)

22 9.65%
  • Included as 'timed' event/recruited unit

69 30.26%
  • Included as ancillary for Aragorn

40 17.54%
  • Should not be included!

90 39.47%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Army of Death - Vote Now

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Default Re: Army of Death - Vote Now

Quote Originally Posted by zorro59 View Post
    But why Barrow dwights dont get included?
    The lore sais that they exist, evryone agrees, it could be used as a "savage" faction, unplayable...
    Because the Barrow Wights never formed an army and attacked anyone.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

zorro59's Avatar Miles

They could get 0 movement, a settlement in the noth like should not be seen and somearmies on the map..
    They cant recruit anything however..
    And they could ambush poor humans..
    Last edited by zorro59; October 07, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

So they did see combat at Pelargir right? Gimli wondered whether their swords could do damage or not however he was not involved in the melee to know one way or another. Of a certianty they killed many pirates and drowned many more.

Also they actually dominated a geographic area to an extent before the Grey Company called them out.

As far as fear in total war games goes. High Morale is as good and dropping another units morale. Units with high morale can route low morale units without much of a fight at all.

you could give a general an ancillary trait that gave him a massive morale bonus to the hardcoded limit if he has the army of the dead.
    Last edited by Valiant Champion; October 07, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

How could they kill the people passing through without being able to kill?

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Champion View Post
    So they did see combat at Pelargir right? Gimli wondered whether their swords could do damage or not however he was not involved in the melee to know one way or another. Of a certianty they killed many pirates and drowned many more.

Also they actually dominated a geographic area to an extent before the Grey Company called them out.

As far as fear in total war games goes. High Morale is as good and dropping another units morale. Units with high morale can route low morale units without much of a fight at all.

you could give a general an ancillary trait that gave him a massive morale bonus to the hardcoded limit if he has the army of the dead.
    In the book, it is just stated that the Corsairs were scared off by the Dead Men of Dunharrow and they jumped off the ships in their terror, with many Drowning. It makes no mention of them actually being able to cause harm.
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    In the book, it is just stated that the Corsairs were scared off by the Dead Men of Dunharrow and they jumped off the ships in their terror, with many Drowning. It makes no mention of them actually being able to cause harm.
    Indeed, and even gimli wondered whether they could still cause harm. You might think that someone who counts his kills during an battle would be able to observe whether those corsairs were actually wounded by something.

And whenever the heroes talk about them, they only mention the fear they caused, not their martial power.
    Last edited by Lordinquisitor; October 07, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerJohn View Post
    Excellent pont!

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerJohn View Post
    In the book, it's only mentioned that one person, Brego, the heir to Rohan died. (the Gray company even saw his body, clawing at a door). He could have died from anything, fear perhaps.
    Civitate

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

In the book, it's only mentioned that one person, Brego, the heir to Rohan died. (the Gray company even saw his body, clawing at a door). He could have died from anything, fear perhaps.
    I maybe dead wrong bu isn't Brego Aragorns horse?
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackomur89 View Post
    I maybe dead wrong bu isn't Brego Aragorns horse?
    In the Movies Brego is Aragorn's horse. But not in the books. In The Books Brego is Eorl the young's son and was second king of Rohan. His son Baldor tried to take the paths of the dead, but never return. The Gray company then see his body.I was wrong, Brego doesn't go to the paths of the dead, Baldor does.
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Indeed, and even gimli wondered whether they could still cause harm. You might think that someone who counts his kills during an battle would be able to observe whether those corsairs were actually wounded by something.
    You might think that if he saw something one way or another, he wouldn't have to wonder. Death from drowning or fear is just as good as death from any other source. And "spirit" beings in Tolkien's literature tend to always have power in the world around them, more often than not more power than mere mortals.
    Last edited by Twist of Cain; October 07, 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I vote no. Simple, not only are they completely different in the books then in the movie, but they are in fact very badly used deus ex machina in the movie and I pretty much hate them.
    Has signatures turned off.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

It wouldn't make sense. As I have already said, only Isildur's heir could have summoned the Dead Men of Dunharrow, plus they didn't actually fight in the books, and in the films, they were unstoppable killing machines, How is the TATW team supposed to represent either end of the spectrum?
    it would make sense gameplaywise...

how to represent them? as i said.

a) spawning only once when minas tirith falls for example (would emulate the summoning once)
    b) unstoppapble killing machines? represented by 3 hitpoints

ironic how little fantasy fantasy fans have. on the other hand i guess you always have two camps of fans. those that simply enjoy it and the fanatics that make it a religion and shout "heretic" once something isnt 100% like it was in the fantasy of the author.

in my current campaign mordor never was able to conquer osiligath, harad is kept at bay and isengard that was close to smashing rohan lost the initiative and is defending against rohan now thanks to gondors intervention. my next step will be a naval invasion of harads capital. what i want to say is as soon as the player starts playing the game isnt lore-accurate anymore anyways in 9/10 cases. thats why its a game. it simply takes place in a set world. what the player does is alternate history/lore by playing..

but i see your point so a dead army is probably material for a sub mod instead of the acual mod.
    Last edited by Ahlerich; October 08, 2009 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    it would make sense gameplaywise...

how to represent them? as i said.

a) spawning only once when minas tirith falls for example (would emulate the summoning once)
    b) unstoppapble killing machines? represented by 3 hitpoints
    Yes, in the movie they were unstoppable killing machines. Didn't you watch it? And as for that crap about "Fantasy fans not liking Fantasy", come on. This is Tolkein's world, why should the TATW team try to change Tolkein's world like what some have proposed in this thread? Like I said, make a Warhammer mod, it has undead factions and copious amounts of Fantasy,
    Civitate

Is it too early to suggest barrow-wight spider-riders?

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Yah...

no way - more trouble than they are worth.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Yes, in the movie they were unstoppable killing machines. Didn't you watch it? And as for that crap about "Fantasy fans not liking Fantasy", come on. This is Tolkein's world, why should the TATW team try to change Tolkein's world like what some have proposed in this thread? Like I said, make a Warhammer mod, it has undead factions and copious amounts of Fantasy,
    i said they could be represented with 3 hitpoints that makes them almost unsoppable.
    i also didnt say fantasy fans not liking fantasy i said some are not having fantasy on their own, maybe the word fantasy cant be used like that in english and thats why u misunderstood. or maybe you are just..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlerich View Post
    i said they could be represented with 3 hitpoints that makes them almost unsoppable.
    i also didnt say fantasy fans not liking fantasy i said some are not having fantasy on their own, maybe the word fantasy cant be used like that in english and thats why u misunderstood. or maybe you are just..
    But why do we need an unstoppable faction in the mod? How would that be balanced with the other factions? If there was a misunderstanding of some kind, then I apologize. And I do not appreciate the thinly veiled insult BTW.
    Civitate

I'd say this thread stopped being constructive quite some time ago.

If the team ever decide to implement the Army of the Dead I'm sure they'll find a "tasteful" way to do it. Keeping in mind what KK said about that "role playing" campaign I wouldn't be surprised if they have some good ideas already.

In any case time to put this puppy to sleep.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011