Unit List
    The New Roster

Infantry:

• Milicia Provincial: Levy Line available in Iberia
    • Infantería de línea Española: Spanish Line Infantry
    • Infantería de línea Italiana: Italian Line Infantry
    • Infantería de línea Valona: Walloonian Line Infantry
    • Brigada Irlandesa: Irish Brigade
    • Regimiento de Infantería Inmemorial del Rey: 2 battalions of a prestigious Line Infantry Regiment.
    • Granaderos: Grenadiers
    • Infantería de Marina: Marines
    • Reales Guardias de Infantería Española: Spanish Guard Infantry
    • Reales Guardias de Infantería Valona: Walloonian Guard Infantry

• Cuerpos francos: Free Company Irregulars
    • Voluntarios de Aragón: Light Infantry
    • Voluntarios de Cataluña: Light Infantry
    • Cazadores: Professional Light Infantry
    • tiradores: Riflemen

Cavalry:

• Caballería ligera: Light Cavalry
    • Dragones: Dragoons
    • Regimiento montado: Cavalry of the Line
    • Voluntarios de España: Light Cavalry
    • Real Brigada de Carabineros: Royal Carabiniers
    • Reales Guardias de Corps: Royal Household Cavalry
    • Moros Mogataces: Muslim Moorish Cavalry, available in North Africa.
    • Lanceros de Ceuta: Native Spanish Lancers found only in North Africa.

Building Chain
    Building Chain

Technology Tree
    Technology Tree

Graphics Development

List of Skins

• Irish Brigade - HellFell
    • Dragoons - HellFell
    • Walloon Guards (with new Model) - HellFell
    • Ceuta Lancers - HellFell
    • Swiss Infantry - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar #
    • Italian Infantry - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar #
    • Guard Regiment - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar #
    • Nouab Volunteers - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar #
    • Heavy Cavalry - Danova
    • Marines - Danova
    • Line infantry - 33orion77
    • Aragon Volunteers - ToonTotalWar
    • Catalun Volunteers - ToonTotalWar
    • Provincial Militia - Spanky

Spain

Spain's strength lies in its brave soldiers, both on foot and horse. Artillery relies on power rather than mobility.
    The native Spaniard is a pious follower of the cult of cold steel, favoring a valiant, recklessly brave charge with the bayonet over cowardly and pointless engagements of volley-fire. Such courage is something of a obsidian-edged blade, allowing the Spanish Infantrymen to cut hard and fast but without a willingness to suffer in a prolonged or dynamic engagement risk shattering upon the strike. Foreign contingents, from locally-recruited Wallonians and Italians to the expatriate Irish and mercenary Swiss provide a diversification from the Spanish emphasis on the bayonet. The indigenous dexterity of infamous Jinetes and nimble Celt-Iberian has diminished in the esprit de corps of España, with the success of the stoic, legionary-esque Tercio resulting in Spain placing its greatest reliance in infantry of the line.

This is not to say that adept, individualistic light infantry do not exist, but the infamous Spanish guerrillas of the Napoleonic Era do not present themselves in the 18th century. The bulk of her light troops are limited to Iberia proper, with volunteers of Catalonia, Aragon and mounted volunteers of España dominating the light troop corps until a late emergence of Tiradores and Cazadores.

In cavalry, Spain lies behind most of Continental Europe but ahead of her fellow Southern Europeans. Like the fellow (or soon to be fellow) Bourbon French sturdy cavalry of the line are preferred over light hussars or irregular cavalry, though in the Maghreb and Gibraltar the Spanish may access a limited number of skilled Ceuta Lancers and limitless Moorish mercenaries.

El espíritu de las cruzadas

The spirit of the crusades has never truly left the Spanish people. Spain may have declined in importance and power in the 18th century, the mantle of Habsburg prestige being passed to Austria, but she remains a force to be contended with and played a part in every major engagement of 18th century Europe.

The gameplay of Spain and their military can be summarized into a couple of key gameplay elements:

1. Melee dominance - Spain is with Sweden the best melee-capable troops of Europe. Few will be able to match them in a close combat engagement.
    2. Reckless bravery - Native Spaniards save for the Spanish Guard lack moral shock resistance but amongst the infantry of the line compensate for it with superior moral. As a result in a direct engagement Spaniards will fight longer and harder than their European peers, yet the dynamics of a flank attack or artillery strike risks shattering their composure.
    3. Restricted AOR - many of Spain's units are more restricted in their recruitment. The Royal Militia (levy line) are limited to Iberia, with Walloonian and Italian Line regiments replacing them in quality and are restricted to Flanders and Italy respectively.
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 26, 2014 at 07:49 PM.

Default Re: Spain - Gameplay Discussion

You made the Spanish King die early on more often, right?

I'm going to start a Spanish Campaign and I'd like him to die as soon as possible

He always dies in 1702, and Austria always declares a Succession war. Call it the War of the Spanish Succession.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Updated with a detailing of the Spanish roster and gameplay.

delpiero1234's Avatar Libertus

It's impossible to play the Spanish in IS 2.1.
    Even if you start in Easy their income is about -1500 per turn!
    How's that possible? Historically Spain wasn't that poor. I mean it's even not worth building something because next turn you're going to be bankrupt!

Disband the expensive units.

Quote Originally Posted by delpiero1234 View Post
    It's impossible to play the Spanish in IS 2.1.
    Even if you start in Easy their income is about -1500 per turn!
    How's that possible? Historically Spain wasn't that poor. I mean it's even not worth building something because next turn you're going to be bankrupt!
    It's because some regions that are part of New Spain in Vanilla have many units in their city. You could dispose these units or download the optional file that makes you start without New Spain.

Civis

First, I traded Flanders and Milan to France for some Caribbean settlements in the Americas. Your goal at this point is to wipe out the pirates with the starting units from Mexico and Colombia.

Then I sent some galleons and Indiamens to the trade nodes. While doing this, I strengthened my navy.

I offered an alliance with Portugal. They requested military access for 10 turns and a trade agreement. I accepted.

I have now wiped out the Cherokee and the Iroquois and getting an income of 12k per turn.

and I found out that I was only playing a Short Campaign. Not cool :/
    Why so serious?

Hey Guys,

Awesome mod, I just registered on TWCenter, but I have been following this mod for some time now. I recently started my Spanish VH/VH campaign and I can honestly say - It's Awesome. I like how you implemented the fact they had serious economc downturns at the start of the century. Its only 1705 and already more things have happened then in an entire short campaign. After some serious economical problems, (good thing I am an economics student), I managed to get the spanish income growth to a steady positive + 500, without disbanding any of the South American troops. After a short war with the Dutch, resulting in me crushing their force, taking Curacao and in the end selling Flanders due to being in danger of bankruptcy, I signed a peace treaty with them. All goes well in the American Theatre. I took Georgia, gave it to the french to work as a buffer zone with the British. After that I claimed the 2 pirate regions and Texas en el nombre del Rey y Espana. The war in Europe wages on however. Italy is uniting versus the spainiards, with Genoa and the Vatican leading the charge. However, after 4 years of war, Genoa was seized and the Vatican signed a peace treaty. The only real danger now facing mother Spain is the cost of such turbulant and violent 5 years. With the entire nation paying for the war effort, little funds have been invested in the Spanish industries. The constant threat of the Barbary States or Austria blockading a vital trade route or port, and thus bankrupting again the state, looms heavily over the battle-weary Spanish fleets.

One thing though, can you guys please decrease the effectiveness of light galleys. Those things are simply imposible to counter in large numbers. Due to their size, they are hard to hit, they are annoyingly fast and pack a punch enough to sink a brig in 5-6 shots. The only effective counter I have found to routing them, not sinking them, are 5th rates. But even they have hard times catching those annoying little buggers. Besides its not really cost effective.
    Last edited by VoodooShaman; October 19, 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Vs. Light Galleys, sail on up beside them and let loose with Grape.

Unfortunately, as you are playing on VH things will be imbalanced in the battle map, your units won't be nearly as good as theirs. This is hard-coded, and there is nothing we can do about it. Because of the unrealistic nature of VH, we suggest normal battle difficulty. However, VH battle difficulty will give you a heck of a challange!

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Is this in imperial splendour 2. I love playing spain in the normal game.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    If you must have peace, prepare for war -Latin adage

Spain has been revamped for IS 2.1, yes.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Hermansen5's Avatar Foederatus

Damn i was relieved when Carlos died.. Felipe ftw!
    But a great faction i think.. I just thought it was funny, that for 20 years, i had been at war with Austria, with only one encounter, which was in a tradetheatre.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Spain - Graphics Discussion

An intersting internet site about WSS : Museo Virtual de la Guerra de Successio - 1702-1714

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Patrician Artifex

An interesting Internet site about WSS : Museo Virtual de la Guerra de Successio - 1702-1714

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

This thread had some cool illustration or early spanish units.

(And of the various participants in the war too, french, english, dutch, austrian etc).

Patrician Artifex

Book : "Las Fragatas de vela de la Armada Espanola 1650-1853 (Su evolucion tecnica)", by Enrique Garcia-Torralba Pérez, 2011

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

According to an ebook I have abouit Spanish Florida, Spain only adopted the flintlock musket as standard (grenadiers already used them but the situation with musketeers is unclear) in 1703. So maybe add a matchlock equipment theme for them? We have done this in Colonialism 1600AD. This is probably one of the reasons the WSS went badly for them outside of Spain and early on.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Herr Doctor's Avatar Biarchus

Some very interesting documents on the 18th century's Spanish uniforms:
    http://www.mcu.es/ccbae/es/consulta/...BAA20100195291

I believe what could make them extremely useful for your project are very rare and fantastically detailed examples of authentic textiles and embroidery (I believe they are great materials to work on such detailed textures as the ones made by Flikitos), for example:
    http://www.mcu.es/ccbae/es/catalogo_...ntacion=pagina

Patrician Artifex

What we need for Spain first, is to create 3 unit rosters :

• Spanish Succession War roster - early XVIIIth century uniforms (1700-1715)
    • Seven Years' War roster - mid-XVIIIth century uniforms (1750-1765)
    • French revolutionary Wars roster - late XVIIIth century uniforms (1785-1799)

One of the particularity of Spanish rosters will be the number and diversity of colonial troops.

Note that unit roster must be "simplified" because we can not represent all troops.
    It will be also necessary to take into account the future recruitment system that will be based on region.
    This means we will have Spanish Cuban units, Spanish Mexican units, Spanish Flanders unit (at least for early era), etc.

Then, when units rosters will be done, it will be possible to search and define each uniforms for each units.

Finally, when we will have enough documents, it will be possible to begin to create models and then textures.

I will ask Carricanta if he can help us with rosters.
    He has a very good knowledge about Spanish units.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast