Lead Developers

Herr Doctor
    Unit List

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POLAND-LITHUANIA unit roster.pdf 
Views:	139 
Size:	577.5 KB 
ID:	325070

• Few Lithuanian "special" units are marked in red (in contrast to the Polish and "common" for both armies).
    • "Przednia straż" (Avant-Garde) cavalry made light as the line cavalry has already been well-represented. Historically it was a mixed type of cavalry unit with light lancers, Polish type medium cavalry and dragoons.
    • The regulars uniforms of all "national" traditional cavalry regiments should consist of two uniform types per unit (as ETW graciouslly allows this), one for noble rank cavalryman (Towarzysz) and one for commoner (Pocztowy). I believe this is simple and very elegant solution to correctly represent special historical organisation of the Polish cavalry in game.
    • The early period is based on 1717 major military reform of the so-called "Silent Sejm". The reason is that this was the first time when proper European regimental system and proper standing army was introduced in Poland-Lithuania. Unfortunately 1700-1717 time frame (which represent the "early" period for most other factions in the mod) in case of the Commonwealth is extreme mess in sense of the army organisation and its numbers. This will represent the Polish army the way it supposed to be during the first half of the 18th century, i.e. very small and compact.
    • Added Polish-Lithuanian magnates private armies (militias). Their numbers are somewhat relative as they were not set in stone naturally. Their upkeep could be very low as well as moral. They would historically cover the Polish defence a bit as I feel that with such extremely small army it would be way too easy target for all neighbouring powers in game. This also includes private artillery arsenals (which were really huge historically and often were used for the state regular army as in 1792 war, for example).
    • The Late period Polish militias represent the Kosciuszko Uprising (1794) voluntaries.
    • As I've previously mentioned, potential Polish rebels units could be represented by the Bar confederates army.

Building Chain
    Building Chain
    Technology Tree
    Technology Tree
    Graphics Development
    Graphics Development

RotR faction description by Cro_Hunger999:

The indecisiveness of king Stanisław Augustus Poniatowski and the paralysis of the Commonwealth have furthered the internal crisis and the future is not very optimistic. Russia is now stronger than ever before so you may want to reconsider declaring war. Your vassal, the Duchy of Courland, is nothing more than a dead letter and is inclined to follow Catherine II's instructions.

The anti-Polish views and hatred towards the Polish people will die with Frederick II, and the future king of Prussia has quite different views and an aggressive anti-Russian attitude. If you were to somehow prevent the "alliance of the three black eagles" from happening, Poland would surely buy more time to manoeuvre its way to the courts of Europe and plead for assistance. Prussia has already drifted away from Russia and allying with them might be a start. Hostilities between the Kingdom of Prussia and the Habsburg Empire are high and an escalation of war is still a possibility. The Ottoman Empire is certain to wage war against Russia and will ally itself with Russia's natural enemy, Sweden. Good relations with the Sultan and Gustav III could be useful.

Try consolidating your ties with Great Britain, but remember it is not the king who declares war, but rather the parliament and the British are not willing to enter war with depleted funds for some distant eastern state. There is always the option to ally yourself with Russia and hope for protection, however, this would cause serious imbalance and Poland may find itself torn between the west and east and its territories turned into battlefields.

The Commonwealth will either face complete annihilation or freedom to its people. One wrong move and the partition might start sooner than expected. The last partition cost you one third of your land mass and cut off your foreign trade. It will not be easy doing anything without Russia noticing. Act swiftly and you just might survive.

Poland-Lithuania
    Poland has one great strength: Its Cavalry

During the 17th Century Poland went through a period of "Westernization" of its military. These reforms, like all reforms, were resisted by many of the established order, and thus weren't completely instituted; Poland has since remained a state whose military, like its people, are of two minds. Even the administration retains a dual-naming system, where formations are labeled either "National" or "Foreign," even though such conventions no longer mean anything; it has been a long time since there were any foreign officers commanding Polish-Lithuanian units, and even longer since there were any foreign soldiers. It is almost as though the old guard retains the naming conventions purely as a way to remember the reforms forced upon them. The common soldier of course knows this, and it can be argued that such indecisiveness at the top must eventually realize indecisiveness at the bottom.

There are bright spots within the Polish-Lithuanian military, however. The nation has a proud Cavalry tradition, and has successfully combined Eastern and Western fighting dogmas in order to create something stronger than what was. Nonetheless, Forward thinkers have been pointing out that the sun is about to set on the Cavalry as a viable branch of the military. More and more infantry, with its new weapons, always faster-firing, more accurate, and more reliable than the weapons of the generation before, has become the new dominant force on the battlefield, and it is in this area that Poland-Lithuania is woefully unprepared for the realities of a new century: its infantry is under-equipped, ill-paid, barely trained, and has the morale of a mouse; its artillery, if it were possible, would be even worse off, as Poland-Lithuania has no artillery industry to speak of. Historically, Poland-Lithuania would have to rely upon guns captured from the Prussians, or gifted to them by the French, who were always ready to have a regional counter to Austrian ambitions.

As dismal a picture as this may seem, all is not yet lost. The new King, Augustus II, Augustus Mocny, Augustus the Strong, who took the throne in 1697, is also the Elector of Saxony, and has another system of reforms in mind. He will use the strengths of the Saxon army and combine them with the strengths of the Polish-Lithuanian army. But this is only an idea, and the best ideas often go awry. Already it is seen that Saxon soldiers do not fight for Poland-Lithuania like they do for Saxony. But it is still possible to halt the rate at which the Commonwealth's military is eclipsed by the Western powers, and if all goes well, who knows? Poland-Lithuania may once again be the power that it was in the 16th Century.

Historically Poland-Lithuania was partitioned in 1795 between the states of Prussia, Austria and Russia. Can the player prevent this from happening again?
    Last edited by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus; March 09, 2019 at 02:22 PM.

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Poland - Gameplay Discussion

Woot! Go Poland!
    I've always found Poland to be one of the most unique factions in playing style. Their reliance on cavalry is so intrinsically different from their neighbors.
    Now, with the ability to fire on the move, the elite Polish cavalry should really shine!

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Same here - possibly he hardest and funniest faction to play!!!

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Historical background

Tragic events of Bar Confederacy (1768-1772) were followed by military reforms of Polish Army. Freshly elected Polish King, Stanislaw August Poniatowski, understood the vital role the army had in politics of his times. Benefiting from economy's slow revival and gradual rally in Commonwealth politics, King and his progressive party, (and, ironically-with Russian support) started long-drawn process of completly reforming polish forces.

...::: Polish National Cavalry :::...
    Polish late period unit.

Combat record of Bar Confederacy rendered old structure of cavalry unnefective. In order to improve it's effectiveness, in 1775 old formations of Pancerni and Husaria were merged into one formation: Kawaleria Narodowa (National Cavalry). Although by no standard as good as legendary XVIIth-century polish cavalry, it was still useful unit. It's failures during Polish-Russian War (1792) are more a matter of Russian overhelming dominance on the battlefield and superior numbers. Though old structure and organisation of cavalry was changed, old division between Towarzysze (Comrades) and Pocztowi (closest translation: Henchmen) was kept. The difference was mainly in armnament and uniform. N.C.'s uniform was a new quality in polish national uniform, influencing not only uniforms of Polish troops during Napoleonic Period, but also Uhlan's.

Towarzysze
    (Comrades)
    Armed with lances, pistols and sabers, Towarzysze are predecessors of Uhlan cavalry, in terms of arnament, uniform, tactics and doctrine alike.

Arnament: lance, pistols and polish sabre.

picture references:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1th brigade of Kowno of G. Duchy of Lithuania (note the characteristic rogatywka cap and epaulettes)

1th National Cavalry Brigade of Greater Poland (with early uniform parts, such as red, white-stripped trousers, which later were reserved for Pocztowi)

This particular picture's signatures are COMPLETLY WRONG. Proper order:

1. Dragoner

2. National Cavalry's Comrade

3. Unidentified officer with POCZTOWI's hat

National cavalry Comrade (his hat, though historical, had limited use in polish formations):

Pocztowi

Armed and dressed in almost identical manner as the Comrades, with few exceptions, such as carbine replacing the lance, red trousers with white stripes and different hat.

Picture references:

POCZTOWY's hat is also shown on the third picture, as the description says.

Pocztowy is the 4th dismounted soldier from the left
    NOTE: You can use 95th's rifles hat model as a base model

Also

Polish commander Eustachy Erazm Sanguszko in N.C. uniform.

Why it should be done?

In Polish Military XVIIIth century is mainly a period of stagnation and downfall. The two major periods when anything happened were Great Northern War and latter reforms of 1775-1791. Beetwen those two dates (GNW and reforms) almost literally NOTHING happened. That was longly awaited time of piece and rebuilding country after disastrous GNW. Later period of ETW's timefrime is time of great reforms, in terms of polish society, economy and military alike. Finally something happened with Poland, which had awaken from longlasting nightmare. Why not to give Poland units from this era?

Moreover, uniforms of National Cavalry are almost identical to those of infantry, differing only in colours and chako, as can be seen in following pics:

More about Polish Reformed Line Infantry...

Coming soon...
    Last edited by intel; October 21, 2009 at 03:51 AM.

...::: Polish reformed line infantry :::...
    Polish late period unit

Not only cavalry benefited from military reforms- infantry was feformed as well, and formed the most effective part of Polish Army. In fact it was more effective than famed polish cavalry, which was employed in bad proportions: 40 000 infantry soldiers to 30 000 cavalry, compared to 3:1 in modern armies. That was a result of unfinished mobilisation of polish army, as in Poland cavalry was much easier to recruit.
    Polish infantry was comparable to that of other nation's. Unfortunately, due to long time of peace it didn't had as much combat experience as battle-hardened Russian troops, composed of veterans of Turko-Russian wars.
    Polish troops recieved modern equipment, combat training and muster. Discipline was better than in somewhat more prestigous and spoiled cavalry.
    Uniform shared indentical design as cavalry, differing in secondary colours, hats and shakos.
    The most representative of infantry regiments was however Wodzicki's Second Infantry Regiment.
    As such, it's a perfect base for a generic ref. line infatry of Poland.

Not only it's uniform shares most of colouristic with national cavalry, but also it's helmet is relatively easier to make than other infantry regiments'.

Picture references (WARNING: HUGE IMAGES):

Note the hat's details.

Possible base models of Wodzicki's Reg.:

Propety of EmperorBatman999 (model) and Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (texture).

Swedish Lifeguard's hat

Last edited by intel; October 21, 2009 at 04:06 AM.

Damn, that was a gold mine of information. Someone should make sure the devs see this.

Thanks I hope so. I think that you can help- as a beta=tester, you surely have better communication with the team

Mam rację?

No worries. We have indeed seen this.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

What are you guys thinking about the unit proposals that I have posted? What about unit roster for Poland-Lithuania? Would you like another unit for Poland to be described? I'm thinking about preparing XVIIth century Polish Winged Hussars graphics and gameplay information in my free time I can be also researcher for Poland

We're always happy for Information.

We're going through all the nations again updating the artillery and adjusting rosters / stats. Poland is high on that list, but not top currently. Your information will for sure be implemented as soon as we get to repolishing Poland.

All right guys. I just hope that you've got really talented unit modders because Polish units are pretty unique How is PLC's political mess and (probably) reforms going to be presented in campaign? Historically, it would be very hard to implement reforms, and it required strong party or much strength to do anything. That's mainly because the neighbouring states were interested in weak Poland and not only corrupted it's politics (they had some sort of alliance and special fund for that matter), but also destroyed every single attempt of reform. But that was later. If only Augustus was a good king... But he was more interested in his Saxony, sadly

I haven't actually played Poland myself, but in my current Portugal game they are dominating Europe, and have easily the highest prestige, particulary in enlightenment - I think they have captured something like 5 colleges which may be why. Has anyone else noticed Polish dominance like this?

Sometimes. Usually one of the Eastern Three (Poland, Prussia or Austria) gets insanely powerful.

In my current campaign as GB, (1717) there are some epic fights going on in there, with Poland the worst of of the three.

In my 2.0 Russian campaign, Poland literally became the most powerful nation in the world, with me and the Mughals (they beat the Marathas, le gasp,) as the runner-ups.

What I've seen typically is Prussia is the worst off of the three, and it's a coin-toss to figure out whether Austria or Poland-Lithuania will become the bigger power.

This is a balance issue that we're looking closely at.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

In most of my campaigns, Prussia becomes ginormoustastic and cuts through the german states and sometimes Austira. Poland usually doesn't go anywhere. Also, Hannover has been surprisingly aggresive and has taken 3 territories. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post

Polish National Cavalry - Light cavalry / Poland

In game:

Playing Prussia at the 40th round and of course I'm in an all out war with Austria and Poland, despite having only conquered Gdansk, made Courland my Protectorate and newly Vilnius. Also, Denmark declared a war of succession on me and Russia was seeing me having problems so they jumped on the boat too.

But nevermind that.

I've been playing a bunch of battles against polish forces of course. Mostly their armies are composed of those dragoons cavalry, hussars and piechota line infantry or one of those cheaper blue line infantries. However I couldn't help not noticing the special guard units they used... Somehow, they are using Jacratzy (or something) JANNISAR guard units. That can't be right, or can it? Didn't know Poland had so much influence from its Turkish neighbour to employ Janissar guards... Also they use a type of cavalry (they have some sort of armor), which I have only seen on middle-eastern or indian factions.

So are those exotic units a bug or is it really a mistake? Does this only happen with the AI or is the player itself locked with the Jannisar guards? I actually expected Poland to have at least their own national guard units. Oh and I have not seen one single winged hussar unit yet! Could it be possible, that some mistake has just made them missing or are they a super late unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Playing Prussia at the 40th round and of course I'm in an all out war with Austria and Poland, despite having only conquered Gdansk, made Courland my Protectorate and newly Vilnius. Also, Denmark declared a war of succession on me and Russia was seeing me having problems so they jumped on the boat too.

But nevermind that.

I've been playing a bunch of battles against polish forces of course. Mostly their armies are composed of those dragoons cavalry, hussars and piechota line infantry or one of those cheaper blue line infantries. However I couldn't help not noticing the special guard units they used... Somehow, they are using Jacratzy (or something) JANNISAR guard units. That can't be right, or can it? Didn't know Poland had so much influence from its Turkish neighbour to employ Janissar guards... Also they use a type of cavalry (they have some sort of armor), which I have only seen on middle-eastern or indian factions.

So are those exotic units a bug or is it really a mistake? Does this only happen with the AI or is the player itself locked with the Jannisar guards? I actually expected Poland to have at least their own national guard units. Oh and I have not seen one single winged hussar unit yet! Could it be possible, that some mistake has just made them missing or are they a super late unit?
    There was a thread about this a while ago (which actually lead to the Polish translations I believe). The Polish Janissaries were indeed there on purpose, they were made up of deserters from the Turkish Army. The IS team has decided to add them in to make things interesting, just like they did with Danish... rocket launchers, and Mughal rocket... throwers, and the crazy super awesome Swedish artillery, among other things.

Pancerny are intentional, and a historical Polish unit that did, indeed, still wear chain armour.
    The Janissaries are also a historical Polish guards units.
    On Hussars, give them time. Husaria cost an arm and a leg + require a good barracks. For all that, they are awesome personified.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast