Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New preview of Dale

Default Re: New preview of Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    EDIT: just have read Kikka's post and indeed, would archers be able to fire arrows using mittens? dunno
    Only if they're elves. In fact, elven quadriplegics can fire arrows using only the Force.

Great preview. +rep

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Senator

Again im too lazy to read through 5 pages but just whana ask two questions again one related to one of the pictures.

1. Dale wont wont like Rhun does will it?

2. Why doesnt the Rhun pikemen ever use there shield and sword?(Seen in one of the pictures)

+Rep for a Awesome Job on Dale(My new Favourite Faction)
    Last edited by Deedlit; September 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Starwen View Post

I honestly don`t know how to answer this.

To the second question; Ever tried pressing ALT while ordering the attack?

They don't have a second weapon I think but I also don't see the picture where you see them fighting with a sword.
    Are Bardian Marksmen still the bodyguard unit or have Earls of Dale taken their place?

Raiven's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Starwen View Post

I am not sure that I understood what you meen with that!

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Raiven View Post
    I am not sure that I understood what you meen with that!
    i am sure that i did NOT understand what he meant by this
    no i really also don't get it...

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Great picking the Old Gothic\Norse names... I did the same for SATW

I love u king kong i was waiting for this

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Wow, outstanding as usual.

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback!
    To answer the most important questions:

@Starwen

Btw Does dale have the same lag issues as Rhun? or Rohan?
    simple answer: no

@D_A
    Where do you take that motivation from...?
    Well, I don't need much motivation, it is simply my hobby and my mean to relax.

@PaddyPower
    I presume Beorning units were considered not suitable due to being separated from Dale by Mirkwood?
    I will also do some new Beornings for the next patch, though they are not really part of the Dale faction.

@J=A=L
    I must admit I'm unfamiliar with some of the terms in the unit names:

Gadraughts - I'm guessing it's an irl term related to a type of soldier but who knows.

Athala (Rangers) - No idea. If it's a ME word I've never heard of it. Sounds nice though.

Aihwothiuda (Horseguards) -

I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light on these, just curious.
    I see you already have found your answers, I knew you would find out pretty soon what those names mean.

If you (or anyone else) are interested in the backgrounds and descriptions of Hross, here is a list of (almost) all the units and their idea behind:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hearth Watchmen
    The men that guard the northern outposts are no strangers to the dark forces in the world. Constant raids from Easterlings, skirmishes with orcs, sightings of dragons and rumours of worse are the dangers that these simple men face. With little skill at arms and only rudimentary equipment they are the eyes and ears of the settlement walls, ready to raise the alarm when the darkness comes to call.

Dalesmen
    As the kingdom of Dale spreads out across the entire Vale of Anduin, warriors are spread thin. Outposts and villages are vulnerable to attack, only by levying all the folk can the kingdom be protected. The men of Dale are simple farmers and settlers for the most part, but when cornered a Northman will happily take up arms to defend his hearth and home, or to follow his lord.

Rivermen
    The waterways of Wilderland are the lifeblood of the northeastern settlements, they trade between man, elf and dwarf and have been a key element in establishing the Kingdom of Dale and the prosperity of Esgaroth. All the boatmen are aware of the dangers from the raiding parties that harry on the Anduin, Cerduin and Carnen, they have need to protect the precious cargoes that run between Dale and its colonies and allies. These Rivermen are rough and ready to stand their ground by any means necessary, as capable of taking on pirates as they are any soldier in a fair fight.

Rhovanion Gadrauhts
    Northmen organised into regiments, assembled as an army to restore Rhovanion and repel Easterling and orc. These are the main element and bulk of Dale’s armed hordes (I changed that: The Dale Swordsmen unit is the backbone of Dale's army), fighting in the basic tradition of Northmen that is many centuries old. Using javelins to disrupt enemy formations or underpin a potential charge, they are primarily swordsmen who tackle their foes head-on. They can be vulnerable to combined forces such as missile troops and cavalry however and require flanking support at the very least.

Barding Hird
    The most trusted men of the finest warbands are chosen to guard the Earls, as well as the king and his royal halls. They are loyal, steadfast and experienced soldiers. In battle, these warriors can take on the heaviest opponents, whether they come mounted or on foot. Reliance on Dwarf-crafted armour makes them slow, but wielding their huge halberds they cut through everything that stands in their way methodically and relentlessly.

Woodsmen
    For as long as records began there have been men living in Greenwood the great, during the 1800s of the Third Age however, when Rhovanion fell, the numbers of Woodmen swelled with generations of exiles made up of Northmen who fled the destruction of the kingdom. The centuries of living in the deep forest and close to the nearby Elves has influenced the Woodmen, they are a secretive folk, wary of strangers but true to their friends. They are natural hunters and are well-versed in hit and run tactics fighting their enemies from the cover of the woodlands.

Athala Rangers
    The Athala nobles are the lifeline between the ancient fallen kingdom of Rhovanion and their descendants in the Kingdom of Dale. While the Rangers of Ithilien operate from the west of the Anduin, the rangers of Rhovanion operate through Mirkwood and as far as the Iron Hills. It was from the Rangers that Bard the Bowman emerged to defeat Smaug the dragon, it is also from the ranks of these guardians that the nobles and best warriors of the Kingdom of Dale are recruited. For over 20 generations these Rangers have kept alive the memory of the old ways, wandering Wilderland, carrying messages between man, elf and dwarf, as well as scouting against the dark enemy has not been lost.

Barding Marksmen
    As the nobles of Dale rise to defend the kingdom, the pressure to adapt to new ways of fighting is strong. Yet the bow of the Woodmen and Ranger is the chosen weapon of the Northmen of Dale. Armoured and equipped to the best standards, these bowmen are perfect warriors and are deadly swordsmen as well as marksmen.

Northern Swordmasters
    Like sergeants these experienced masters-at-arms have for the most part retired from life in the militias, but in Dale's hour of need they are ready to take up arms once more and fight valiantly in a last stand. Perfecting the skills needed to wield the twohanded greatsword takes a lifetime, it takes bravery and wits. These hardy men have honed their martial arts through years of toil and bloodshed.

Northern Yeomen
    Northmen have always been horsemen, in the vast reaches of Wilderland patrols require the fleet of foot. Even the ancestors of the Rohirrim were after all horsemen of Rhovanion. Fighting in the simple Northern style these outriders prefer speed and agility to hunt and pursue their enemies, it makes them ideal for defending outposts, carrying messages between settlements and strengthening the borders.

Aihwothiuda Horseguards
    The Aihwothiuda were the original horseguards of Rhovanion, finally destroyed by the Wainriders their refugee survivors were known as the Eotheod, who then became the Rohirrim. Dale seeks to restore the Aihwothiuda, recruited from the Athala Rangers, the noble descendants of the exiles of Rhovanion, these men are skilful warriors and well-equipped. As a regiment these heavy lancers are the standardbearers of a burning ambition to restore a kingdom that has been lost for 1000 years. Proud, loyal and disciplined they are a match for any opponent.

Earls of Dale
    The noblemen of Dale are natural horsemen, and are keen to support their troops with a swift and able body of cavalry that is not weighed down by reliance on armour and an array of weaponry, utilising instead a sheer prowess of arms. The Earls pride themselves on having adapted to the requirements of current threats and not blindly following the ancient traditions of their ancestors. Using their army’s hails of arrows as cover they close in on their foes to route them from the flank or rear. By speed of horse and deftness of the sword they fearlessly take on any target.

Feel free to make some new descriptions.

@foesto
    but i have a question where are the dale noblesman ( or something )???
    you know the best dale inf. in the game??
    The earls ARE the noblemen, they just won't dismount for battle.

@fulgrim88
    What was your inspiration btw? Is there any real source on rhovanion armour and weapon styles on the net, or is this pretty much artistical freedom? I sense heavy scottish influence
    There is literally no information on the Rhovanion units (Horseguards and Gadraughts) aswell as for many other units, so consider most of these units my own fantasy, based on very rare information.

@kisbelaim
    Just one question: Is there a chance that the Dale Cav. mercs for dwarves will change to the Horseguards as well?
    No. The Horsguards are AOR only in Rhovanion for Dale.

@MADTAO
    AWE SOME!!! New standart generated on Rusichtw normal maped models ,extra quality!
    Thanks mate. I'm glad someone did recognize the improved normal map on some units.

@Seleukos
    Are Bardian Marksmen still the bodyguard unit or have Earls of Dale taken their place?
    Bardian Marksmen are still bodyguards.
    Last edited by King Kong; September 29, 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon5 Re: New preview of Dale

Hi King Kong,

I think your work is great, you and DG really have a talent and passion for this! +REP

My only problem is that these units high quality will be inconsistent with the quality of other factions. The main thing is the level of detail, these units are much more detailed than the other factions, especially in the faces. Will there be a 're-work' for the other factions eventually? To bring them up to this new high standard? (I know that Eriador is coming)

Evan

P.S. I agree with Beregond, the Crosses should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyPower View Post
    Yes, the housecarls were the English professional core of warriors as opposed the the Fyrd or peasant militia that made up the rest of the army pre 1066. I was not aware that the word 'Hird' was interchangeable.

If we're going along the Anglo-Saxon/Scandinavian route shouldn't the Earls be renamed 'Ealdormen' or 'Thegns'?
    By the way its Huscarls not Housecarls.
    Last edited by Evan MF; September 29, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Frayling View Post
    Hi King Kong,

I think your work is great, you and DG really have a talent and passion for this! +REP

My only problem is that these units high quality will be inconsistent with the quality of other factions. The main thing is the level of detail, these units are much more detailed than the other factions, especially in the faces. Will there be a 're-work' for the other factions eventually? To bring them up to this new high standard? (I know that Eriador is coming)
    I suspect that will be done with the new update.
    The signature is being constructed

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    bah! like he needs more rep.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos_I. View Post
    Maybe he wants to become the person with the most +rep in the twcenter. And I want to help him
    Afaik , he already is the person with the most rep

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

KK, so...the crosses will stay?
    regards

Captain of Gondor's Avatar Laetus

Hi, first off, Ive been hanging around these forums for a while now but seeing these previews I was motivated to join to say just how awesome these units are and how much your work is appreciated. Also I have a question about the Barding Hird unit which I think looks especially good. It seems to be in a spear wall formation but doesnt have a spear head at the tip of their weapons, so will it use them like a pike or large axe? Thanks.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

welcome to the forums!

these units are halberdiers and have armour piercing I'm 99% sure

Captain of Gondor's Avatar Laetus

Thanks for reply, but dont units in a spear wall do a stabbing motion? It wouldnt be a problem with most halberds I would think because most of them have a point on the top but with the ones theyre using I just thought it would be more awkward to stab with without the spike on top.

KK

The new units are really good looking - transparent to anyone at even the slightest study.

The only question I have is about the Spanish Cortez type helmet on the Bardian Marksman. Although it looks really great with the unit, it takes a stretch of imagination to absorb as being within the domain of ME, and moreover, doesn't seem to match the period style of the other dale units.

But they do look good, of themselves. Beautiful mix of equipment and clothing.

How is the morion helmet a stretch? It was a very very popular helmet in real world history, used all over Europe (not just the spanish conquistadors) for hundreds of years (15th century all the way to the 18th). Frankly I think it should be used MORE.