Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: MTW XL Mod

Dev16

Bug Report for VikingHorde:

Start the game in High era as the Turks and click on Anatolia. The game crashes and says that there's a church in that region and that the region belongs to the Muslims (Turks). Can you check it out? If you don't get the same error - tell me.

Dev16

I'm done with faction colors for High era. Check them out VikingHorde and tell me what you think. -_-

I still need to change some factions in early and late (try to give green to the Irish, ...) so you'll get them whem I'm done.

Oh yeah, and you can only see primary color. I'll post secondary some other time.

VikingHorde's Avatar Tiro

@Rusty Catapult: Thanks for the info, theres a unit of two that I can use.

@Dev16: Thanks for the bug report, I will correct it. The map looks good, no bright colors . Sweden, novgorod and russia are all blue, so novgorod might need to change color if a good color can be found. The rest looks good.

*cheers*

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

Congrats. Good stuff so far

A few points I've noticed so far. I'm playing as Sweden.

About 2 turns into the game I suddenly had 12,000 florins.

When the Danes and Norwegians were invaded, half way through the battle they withdrew but didn't occupy their castles so they were eliminated.

When the scotts were eliminated they came back as Gallowglasses and Kerns but no highlanders.

When I had rebellions in Brandonburg & Saxony there were welsh bandits.

Any chance of getting the eastern nations to build a little more inf.? I always end up fighting stacks of Boyars with maybe 1 or 2 spearman units.

Many more units seem to have 'excellent' morale now, is that right?

Anyway..just adding my thoughts so far. hope they are helpful.
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Originally posted by Marshal Qin@Aug 1 2004, 06:51 PM
    Congrats. Good stuff so far

A few points I've noticed so far. I'm playing as Sweden.

About 2 turns into the game I suddenly had 12,000 florins.

When the Danes and Norwegians were invaded, half way through the battle they withdrew but didn't occupy their castles so they were eliminated.

When the scotts were eliminated they came back as Gallowglasses and Kerns but no highlanders.

When I had rebellions in Brandonburg & Saxony there were welsh bandits.

Any chance of getting the eastern nations to build a little more inf.? I always end up fighting stacks of Boyars with maybe 1 or 2 spearman units.

Many more units seem to have 'excellent' morale now, is that right?

Anyway..just adding my thoughts so far. hope they are helpful.
    Thanks for the reply, i'll look into the problems. The lack of inf. is proberly becouse of economic problems in the faction. I they get too many princes, then the economy can be ruined.

The "excellent morale" thing is something I can't remove. Most units have much higher morale now to make the game more realistic. I have edited most unit stats, improving the game in-battle. I often attacked stacks with 1000 men, having only 300 men my self. Now it's much harder to break the enemy, more often getting my a$$ kicked. Spearmen and cav are more effective with the new stats, becouse of higher charge, morale and setup.

*cheers*

Here are some Idea for Irish Units.

Irish Horsemen- Spear Armed. Basically like Hobilars, but also armed with Darts (The same as irish Dartmen)

Anglo-Irish Men-at-Arms: At the beginning of the period, 'degenerate' or gaelicized Anglo-Irish men-at-arms would look a great deal like late Norman knights without the kite shields (though they might be carrying smaller round or heater shields). By the late 14th Century, they would look more like their Gaelic Irish counterparts, riding without stirrups on small horses, although they would be better armored. Yet, even at the end of the period, plate armor was still quite rare in Ireland, and virtually all of the Anglo-Irish would still have been wearing mail.

Ostmen - (Men of the East) Ostmen were Norse mercenaries or native Vikings living in Ireland. Like most vikings, they should have helmets and coats of mail and carry swords or axes and round shields.

Gael Gaedhil (Beserkers) - Renegade mercenary bands in times of war or despised outlaws and brigands during times of peace. Typically they were Irish boys raised by the Norse and the combination of Celtic and Norse warrior ethos produced exceptionally ferocious fighters despised by all. Brian Boru sent them raiding England and Alba during times of peace to rid Ireland of this menace till they were slaughtered en masse at Clontarf. Legend is that their ferocity on the battlefield gave them the fanciful nickname "Sons of Death." Equipment should be similar to that of Vikings.

And to replace the 'Highland Warrior' in the beta for Ireland, you could rename them "Fianna Eireann". The Fianna are simply an Irish legend, a roving band of Warrior-Hunters, but I think it's a better name than highland warrior

Originally posted by Fianóglach@Aug 1 2004, 10:17 PM
    Here are some Idea for Irish Units.

Irish Horsemen- Spear Armed. Basically like Hobilars, but also armed with Darts (The same as irish Dartmen)

Anglo-Irish Men-at-Arms: At the beginning of the period, 'degenerate' or gaelicized Anglo-Irish men-at-arms would look a great deal like late Norman knights without the kite shields (though they might be carrying smaller round or heater shields). By the late 14th Century, they would look more like their Gaelic Irish counterparts, riding without stirrups on small horses, although they would be better armored. Yet, even at the end of the period, plate armor was still quite rare in Ireland, and virtually all of the Anglo-Irish would still have been wearing mail.

Ostmen - (Men of the East) Ostmen were Norse mercenaries or native Vikings living in Ireland. Like most vikings, they should have helmets and coats of mail and carry swords or axes and round shields.

Gael Gaedhil (Beserkers) - Renegade mercenary bands in times of war or despised outlaws and brigands during times of peace. Typically they were Irish boys raised by the Norse and the combination of Celtic and Norse warrior ethos produced exceptionally ferocious fighters despised by all. Brian Boru sent them raiding England and Alba during times of peace to rid Ireland of this menace till they were slaughtered en masse at Clontarf. Legend is that their ferocity on the battlefield gave them the fanciful nickname "Sons of Death." Equipment should be similar to that of Vikings.

And to replace the 'Highland Warrior' in the beta for Ireland, you could rename them "Fianna Eireann". The Fianna are simply an Irish legend, a roving band of Warrior-Hunters, but I think it's a better name than highland warrior
    Cool units, I will add them :0!

*cheers*

bluelavender

Hi Viking and all,

i've just downloaded this awesome mod...finally, able to play with golden hordes

one question please, after i install this, will i still be able to play the viking campaign from original MTW ?
    (of course, for other campaigns, i prefer the XL mod )

thank you and regards

and BIG THANK YOU FOR VIKING AND OTHERS WHO MADE THIS AWESOME MOD

gee, so happy to be able to play as Mongols

BL

Originally posted by bluelavender@Aug 3 2004, 01:43 AM
    Hi Viking and all,

i've just downloaded this awesome mod...finally, able to play with golden hordes

one question please, after i install this, will i still be able to play the viking campaign from original MTW ?
    (of course, for other campaigns, i prefer the XL mod )

thank you and regards

and BIG THANK YOU FOR VIKING AND OTHERS WHO MADE THIS AWESOME MOD

gee, so happy to be able to play as Mongols

BL
    Jepp, you can still play the viking campain and the old campains. You just need to swits the projectile file with the old one (root of the MTW folder). If you want to play the old game, then you need to swits projectile file and reg... file (marked OLD). Thats all.

Wow, I haven't had this much fun playing MTW since the day I bought it. Thank you for this excellent mod!

I'm playing the Teutonic knights in the High Period. All of Scandinavia and the Baltic sea surroundings are mine, everything else belongs to the Poles, Mongols and French. All those small new factions conquered eachother, and then got conquered by larger factions. I feel sorry for the Cumans, the conquered themselves up to Prussia and had a nice little empires of their own (from the Black Sea to the Baltic sea). However, in only 2 years their empire disappeared. Mongols took half of it, and the Poles saw their chance to take the other half.

Once again, thank you very much!

Originally posted by Ornlu@Aug 5 2004, 12:43 PM
    Wow, I haven't had this much fun playing MTW since the day I bought it. Thank you for this excellent mod!

I'm playing the Teutonic knights in the High Period. All of Scandinavia and the Baltic sea surroundings are mine, everything else belongs to the Poles, Mongols and French. All those small new factions conquered eachother, and then got conquered by larger factions. I feel sorry for the Cumans, the conquered themselves up to Prussia and had a nice little empires of their own (from the Black Sea to the Baltic sea). However, in only 2 years their empire disappeared. Mongols took half of it, and the Poles saw their chance to take the other half.

Once again, thank you very much!
    Thanks Ornlu, it's good that you are having fun with the new mod. The teutonic order are one of my favorit factions :p

Just a question though. It seems I can't crusade, why is that?

Originally posted by Ornlu@Aug 5 2004, 03:10 PM
    Just a question though. It seems I can't crusade, why is that?
    There was too many crusades in 1.2 version, giving the muslims a very hard time. As far as I know, the orders never made crusades, but joined them (Correct me if im wrong, becouse I have no info on this). Another way would be too increase the cost of crusades and the construction time. *OD*

I see, and when the Lithuanians and Scottish reappered once, both had units of Jomsvikings. That can't very right. :p

Originally posted by Ornlu@Aug 5 2004, 03:48 PM
    I see, and when the Lithuanians and Scottish reappered once, both had units of Jomsvikings. That can't very right. :p
    Jepp, I know : . I have corrected it in the files, so they should not appere in the future mod. *smokin*

AJSM

Please VH, could you add the Swiss?

I just returned from a trip yesterday and I've played the mod since.

I played the Teutonic Knights (they're so appealing ) on high, set on Hard difficulty. The main difference I've noticed from the original MTW is that other factions do build better units. But I'm glad they don't build ONLY elite units, but a mix of good quality troops with medium quality. I also found that every factions were somewhat agressive (in a good way), but acted in a intelligent manner, not committing themselves to insane and uncalculated invasions. Before, there was only the 2 or 3 same factions that would gnaw and conquer all surrounding factions who were playing defensive.

In battle, the enemy seems a bit tougher (the better units on the field does helps in this case). Instead of just sending a unit at the time at my army, they act in a more coordonated manner. (As is saw it... I just played 3 battles up to now: 2 against the Lithuanians (tough ones...) and 1 against rebels).

Anyway, it seems pretty well balanced... and tougher!

Concerning buildings, I'll try myself to give a few ideas... again.

- Reincorporate the 20% and 40% farming. In the end, farming would give very good income, but, to balance this, the 60% and 80% should cost more and maybe take more time to build (8 years instead of 6, and 12 instead of 8?)
    - Abbeys; just like in VI. Source of income and prestige (happiness) for catholic factions.
    - Merchant's square; would be a level lower for the trading post; it would be for the fort level, while the trading post would be for Keeo level and so on; the image for the merchant's square could be the one used in VI.

And a few other suggestions:
    -Include woodsmen in peasant uprisings.
    -A new unit consisting of a better version of the archer. A some kind of 'heavy archer' or 'composite archer', something a little more decent for more advance armies, an alternative to the slow-firing-straight-shooting crossbowmen. An archer with just a little better range, better attack (and armor?).

Anyway, keep up the good work VH! : Very nicely done

Please VH, could you add the Swiss?
    Sadly I can't without removing another faction.

I just returned from a trip yesterday and I've played the mod since.

I played the Teutonic Knights (they're so appealing ) on high, set on Hard difficulty. The main difference I've noticed from the original MTW is that other factions do build better units. But I'm glad they don't build ONLY elite units, but a mix of good quality troops with medium quality. I also found that every factions were somewhat agressive (in a good way), but acted in a intelligent manner, not committing themselves to insane and uncalculated invasions. Before, there was only the 2 or 3 same factions that would gnaw and conquer all surrounding factions who were playing defensive.

In battle, the enemy seems a bit tougher (the better units on the field does helps in this case). Instead of just sending a unit at the time at my army, they act in a more coordonated manner. (As is saw it... I just played 3 battles up to now: 2 against the Lithuanians (tough ones...) and 1 against rebels).

Anyway, it seems pretty well balanced... and tougher!
    Thats good to hear! I have gotten other replyes that says the same, so I think the AI is getting better.

Concerning buildings, I'll try myself to give a few ideas... again.

- Reincorporate the 20% and 40% farming. In the end, farming would give very good income, but, to balance this, the 60% and 80% should cost more and maybe take more time to build (8 years instead of 6, and 12 instead of 8?)
    - Abbeys; just like in VI. Source of income and prestige (happiness) for catholic factions.
    - Merchant's square; would be a level lower for the trading post; it would be for the fort level, while the trading post would be for Keeo level and so on; the image for the merchant's square could be the one used in VI.
    Could be a good building to add, good idea.

And a few other suggestions:
    -Include woodsmen in peasant uprisings.
    -A new unit consisting of a better version of the archer. A some kind of 'heavy archer' or 'composite archer', something a little more decent for more advance armies, an alternative to the slow-firing-straight-shooting crossbowmen. An archer with just a little better range, better attack (and armor?).
    Im working on new archer units, some with better attack and defence (maybe better range) :p

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Originally posted by VikingHorde@Aug 5 2004, 04:34 PM
    Another way would be too increase the cost of crusades and the construction time.
    :p Seems wise to me since the crusades costed a bunch, 4 times the yearly income for FRANCE. And they made a lot of money.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Looks good. Whats the most recent version?