Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: MTW XL Mod

VikingHorde's Avatar Tiro

Originally posted by Araslan@Mar 7 2005, 07:20 PM
    Is the mod working already?(I've got a download limit of 750 mb :rolleyes )
    Jepp, the mod is working :cool

@Alx
    It is possible to edit the building priority of units and buildings, but it's not easy. I have already set the priority of units like spearmen very low, so the AI IMO is building some better units. Specialy in high and late era has it gotten better were the provinces have more buildings. There is maybe a need for higher priority of some buildings like swordsmith, som I will make some tests *wink* . The mod is not perfect and properly never will be (MTW is not ether he he), but I will do my best.

ALX, if you start the game in High or Late the AI tends to do a much better job of building quality units, putting it on expert seems to help as well.

Hi there. Not sure if anyone reads this forum anymore, but I just installed MTW XL and really like it. Kudos to you VH. And BTW, I too have seen the AI build some decent units. Not like a human player, but it is not too shabby -- far bettwe than vanilla.

I guess the only gripes are pretty minor: a few mis-spelled words (Vinitian or Venitian, I forget) here and there, it was wierd seeing Korean skirmishers showing up at the inn in Algarve as mercenaries. Also, Welsh bandits show up in Crusades starting in Leon and elsewhere. I also like how you have given the AI "capital" decent base buildings from which to build feudal units immediately.

Also minor gripe-wise, the stats for militia sergeants have been significantly lowered in XL. They used to be rivals to the FMAA as decent early swordsmen, but they really suck now. Similarly, I always wondered why the pikemen -- the pinnacle of the militia line -- sucked so bad in MTW. Their stats were low and amounted to no improvement over Chivalric Sarges, yet their build requirements were high. Nobody trained them -- and they should not in XL cuz their stats were unchanged. So all in all, the militia line is not too good in XL. There may be reasons for this, but I guess it just seems to weaken my desire to build that line.

Also, there seem to be ALOT of units that are in the unit files but cannot be built. example: Armored Almughavars. Since they require a level 2 armourer (IIRC) they will be very unlikely to be recruited at an inn, as that requires higher levels of castles, which deter mercs. Alot of the units taking up one of the 256 spaces are Viking units -- Landsmenn, thralls, Karls, Joms, etc. Are they all needed for dead bodies/graphics or whatever?? Any deadweight at all?

FWIW, I tweaked the files so that almughavars are buildable, and made these little stat adjustments, and I REALLY like your mod.

Is there a way of obtaining a listing of what unit stats you changed?

Originally posted by mbrasher1@Apr 15 2005, 08:53 AM
    Hi there. Not sure if anyone reads this forum anymore, but I just installed MTW XL and really like it. Kudos to you VH. And BTW, I too have seen the AI build some decent units. Not like a human player, but it is not too shabby -- far bettwe than vanilla.

I guess the only gripes are pretty minor: a few mis-spelled words (Vinitian or Venitian, I forget) here and there, it was wierd seeing Korean skirmishers showing up at the inn in Algarve as mercenaries. Also, Welsh bandits show up in Crusades starting in Leon and elsewhere. I also like how you have given the AI "capital" decent base buildings from which to build feudal units immediately.

Also minor gripe-wise, the stats for militia sergeants have been significantly lowered in XL. They used to be rivals to the FMAA as decent early swordsmen, but they really suck now. Similarly, I always wondered why the pikemen -- the pinnacle of the militia line -- sucked so bad in MTW. Their stats were low and amounted to no improvement over Chivalric Sarges, yet their build requirements were high. Nobody trained them -- and they should not in XL cuz their stats were unchanged. So all in all, the militia line is not too good in XL. There may be reasons for this, but I guess it just seems to weaken my desire to build that line.

Also, there seem to be ALOT of units that are in the unit files but cannot be built. example: Armored Almughavars. Since they require a level 2 armourer (IIRC) they will be very unlikely to be recruited at an inn, as that requires higher levels of castles, which deter mercs. Alot of the units taking up one of the 256 spaces are Viking units -- Landsmenn, thralls, Karls, Joms, etc. Are they all needed for dead bodies/graphics or whatever?? Any deadweight at all?

FWIW, I tweaked the files so that almughavars are buildable, and made these little stat adjustments, and I REALLY like your mod.

Is there a way of obtaining a listing of what unit stats you changed?
    Thanks for the info, I will make some ajustments *wink* The Viking units are needed for the Viking Invasion campaign, so I can't remove them. You can find the unit stats in an exel file in the MTW folder.

Again, I do want to say how much I enjoy your mod. The AI deficiencies are much better disguised in your mod and that makes XL much better than RTW, which cannot disguise its AI deficiencies.

Unit wise, here is what I did with your mod
    -- changed the militia sergeants to their original stats (making this a desirable unit again)
    -- made the pikemen a step below swiss pike in each stat (finally making this a desirable unit)
    -- made almughavars and armoured almughavars buildable (currently, you can play forever and never see one)
    -- made Alan Mercs and GFKs buildable

I will probably:
    -- make crusader units buildable

Some of the new unit that you create have build requirements that make them inadvisable to obtain. Example: Angevin infantry must have a town watch4 (so includes the citadel), while the Norman foot knights need only a royal estate and armourer. Their stats are pretty similar. I guess that since NFKs are only available in early and high makes it worthwhile to eventually get the angevins, but I am not convinced.

Also, I guess I do not understand the purpose of creating a Welsh longbow unit. It has the same stats as regular English LBs, but since it is built in Wales has a +1 honor bonus. Seems like you could save the slot for a different unit by changing it back to the original, and the ONLY effect on gameplay that I see is that you cannot combine Welsh and English LBs, whereas in vanilla you can.

As you point out, alot of the slots in your unit roster are taken by VI units. You have incorporated some (Picts in crusades) into XL, but why not use the rest also, as crusaders or mercenaries? On this same point, you have recreated XL duplicates for the crusading units (Teutonic, Templar, Hospitaller, etc). Do you need both? Or can you edit the originals, thus freeing up more unit slots? In XL, there are two slots for order foot soldiers, which are not buildable. You have 20 slots for crusading units that cannot be built. This should be reduced.

Lastly, those armoured almughavars ROCK! They are almost unbeatable on defense. Missiles, bonuses vs. cav, good attack and defense, high morale. Sheesh! I am upping the build requirements for them.

Originally posted by mbrasher1@Apr 15 2005, 05:36 PM
    Also, I guess I do not understand the purpose of creating a Welsh longbow unit. It has the same stats as regular English LBs, but since it is built in Wales has a +1 honor bonus. Seems like you could save the slot for a different unit by changing it back to the original, and the ONLY effect on gameplay that I see is that you cannot combine Welsh and English LBs, whereas in vanilla you can.

As you point out, alot of the slots in your unit roster are taken by VI units. You have incorporated some (Picts in crusades) into XL, but why not use the rest also, as crusaders or mercenaries? On this same point, you have recreated XL duplicates for the crusading units (Teutonic, Templar, Hospitaller, etc). Do you need both? Or can you edit the originals, thus freeing up more unit slots? In XL, there are two slots for order foot soldiers, which are not buildable. You have 20 slots for crusading units that cannot be built. This should be reduced.
    Thanks for the info, I will take a look. Welsh longbows can be build by all catholic faction in wales, however normal longbows can only be build by the english. The Picts should not be in the crusades, so they have been removed when I release a patch. The duplicates are needed or all the crusading will be able to build crusader units. I only want the orders (Teutonic, Templar, Hospitaller) to build them, factions like the HRE will need to start a crusade to get them.

Dutchpower's Avatar Senator

do dead body's dissapear in your mod?
    Batavorum miliaria.

"Tits or GTFO. You know the rules and so do I."

Originally posted by Dutchpower@Apr 28 2005, 02:33 PM
    do dead body's dissapear in your mod?
    Nope, they are still there *wink*

Dutchpower's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by VikingHorde@Apr 28 2005, 02:55 PM
    Nope, they are still there *wink*
    yeah i see now in bkb's mod they do dissapear did you do something to prefent it or did they just dindt dissapear at all?
    Batavorum miliaria.

"Tits or GTFO. You know the rules and so do I."

Originally posted by Dutchpower@Apr 28 2005, 10:06 PM
    yeah i see now in bkb's mod they do dissapear did you do something to prefent it or did they just dindt dissapear at all?
    BKB's mod has 3 DEADPAGE COORDS files, one for each era. This means that if you don't change the DEADPAGE COORDS file before you startup the game, the dead people will disapear. Making 3 files was the only way to add more units (the 255 unit limit), but at the expence of userfriendlyness (you need to rename the files when changing era). This is the reson why my mod has less units than BKB's mod, don't want people to mess around with the files. BKB has written a little guide on his page on how to rename the files, so it should not be a problem for you to do it. *wink*

I just installed this mod, and admittedly I am a newdie when it comes to mods for MTW...but after I installed it I tried to play and in the Single Player option (Campaign) nothing shows up. The map is empty and there are no options....is there some other way I am supposed to access the mod? Any help would be appreciated.

*EDITED* Discussion of Warez, or any form of illegal activities is prohibited here, please re-read the usert agreement and forum rules.

- Fianóglach

Please read the Forum Rules Justinian. HERE

Originally posted by Liquid Havok@May 2 2005, 08:16 PM
    I just installed this mod, and admittedly I am a newdie when it comes to mods for MTW...but after I installed it I tried to play and in the Single Player option (Campaign) nothing shows up. The map is empty and there are no options....is there some other way I am supposed to access the mod? Any help would be appreciated.
    It sounds like you need to reinstall MTW, dosn't sound right. What you need to do is install MTW, Viking Invasion, 2.01 patch if needed and then the mod. Please check the downloaded file to see if it is corrupted, could be a bad download *wink*

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

Is the link on the first page still most up-to-date one? Or is there a patch or something for it?
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

Originally posted by BattleKnight@May 6 2005, 09:54 AM
    Is the link on the first page still most up-to-date one? Or is there a patch or something for it?
    The links on page one is the most up-to-date one, no patches have been released yet.

Carousel's Avatar Need help? Ask me! Hit PM

Just though I'd drop by and thank you personally for providing me with many many many hours of entertainment VikingHorde. I played your mod for absolute ages, must have been 7-8 months. Never thought I'd get the chance to thank the person who created it personally. Your depiction of the scots was absolutely excellent and I spend literally weeks playing and enjoying playing as them. So thank you very much. I am indeed indebted to you :happy
    Extremely grateful and indebted to my friend and patron: Spartan
    Patron of Ardeur

Originally posted by Carousel@May 9 2005, 11:24 PM
    Just though I'd drop by and thank you personally for providing me with many many many hours of entertainment VikingHorde. I played your mod for absolute ages, must have been 7-8 months. Never thought I'd get the chance to thank the person who created it personally. Your depiction of the scots was absolutely excellent and I spend literally weeks playing and enjoying playing as them. So thank you very much. I am indeed indebted to you :happy
    Thanks Carousel, Im glad you had fun.

Spartan's Avatar Divus
    Patrician

I also wanted to say great job on the mod VH. It really rocks. Additionally I don't know if you are aware of it but the Wargamer pumped it as well - a nice feather in your cap to say the least.
    -Spartan
    "Consular" Spartan, Vassal of Siblesz
    Lord of lt1956, & Vercingetorix, Founder House of Spartae
    §§TWC's Father of Modding§§ §§ RulersoftheSea.com §§
    "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, & power over nothing" - Herodotus

Hail Viking Horde,

I Salute You

I just have to join the applauding crowds.. :w00t ..great job!!

I have a relatively old computer, so I cannot enjoy from RTW. Also, due to my current situation in life I havent played much anything in a year or so.
    Couple of months ago I was on my computer for some reason again (propably had an argue with my better half.. :rolleyes ) and installed MTW to play it again. Then I looked for some possible new patches from the net or something and stumbled on the modding community of MTW & RTW which I didnt know even existed, and found your Mod and downloaded it.

And WOW!!! :blink

I was pretty much glued to my computer after that, I agree with you (and propably many others) that this is more like the orginal game should have been in the first place. You have turned the game upside-down in a good way.
    I particulary like all the new small kingdoms (Armenia, Bohemia, Irish, Scotts, the Scandinavic realms), they bring much more color to the game even if they can be easily defeated by larger empires.

Thats the way history goes, anyways.. :lol

It is also nice that you added more Orthodox factions, they were a little under-represented (<-- dont know if this is a word.. :whistle ) in the original. All the new units are great also, especially the eastern europe & balkans units are to my taste.

It is a shame that the AI cant handle the trade networks, as they are fun to build but I agree, its better to have a challenging game and after playing for a while I got used to the altered trade&farming incomes.

The only thing I must disagree with is the raised morale of the units, I really liked the thousands of weak, god-fearing peasants and militia running from my katahpraktoi charging down the hill before they even make contact with them. In fact MTW was in my opinion the first game to succesfully represent the fear of death of soldiers in the unpredictable battle field, armies breaking in mass routs, panic spreading.

I twinked the morale values down a bit with gnome-editor and I must say its much better. The most important thing, in my opinion, is to separate the full-time, professional soldier or warrior like societies like viking or mongols from the militia type formations formed by citizens or peasants. The difference in the potence on the battlefield should be made drastic, as in comparison should be in their price and upkeep also.

The superstitious nature of the era should also not be underestimated. Vikings, for example, were pretty much fearless and almost anybody apart from professional soldiers would run from them, even while they would be overwhelming them. The (more) primitive,
    warrior-like factions like Irish, Scots, all Scandinaves, Cumans, Mongols should have higher morale compared to more "civilized" factions, which should have superior equipment (armour&weapons) instead. This should especially apply to lower class units, the difference should ease down higher up.

Examples:
    -Imagine a french spearman drafted from some village confronting a Mongol (or viking) equilevant?
    -Or even an english city militia guard against an Irish kern?

It should be clear which one fears the most. But then, a feudal knight, pridefull and knowing his status and nobility compared to common scum is a complitely different case and will put a fight against almost anything.
    I will not use more space speculating human courage in medieval times, just some thoughts..

In short, your mod is very very good, even suberb. I like-a-lottt. *tongue* Thanks.

P.S. I am also pretty much in to medieval and history in general. If you are planning any future projects & need help with them, please feel free to contact.

Here is my adress:
    T_Heininen@hotmail.com
    "Vino Veritas"
    -Unknown