Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Russia - Information & Discussion

Default Re: Russia - Gameplay Discussion

Yup. I just thought you'd want to use the Russian equivalents for some faction flavor, as with the Germans and so forth.

I'm sure I will, yes.
    Every day takes figuring out all over again how to live.

Decanus

Well if you want some russian equivalents for unit names - here we go.

Cossacks - Kazaki

Line infantry - Lineynaya Pekhota

Fusiliers - Fouziliery (French "ou")

Musketeers - Moushketery (French "ou", "sh" like in the word "she")

Grenadiers - Grenadery

Imperial Guard Regiment - Leib-Gvardii Polk (In russian guards were called Leib-Gvardia on prussian manner)

Dragoons - Dragouny (French 'ou')

Cuirassiers - Kirasiry

Garde a Cheval - Leib-gvardii Konny Polk

Streltsi - Streltsi )))

Boyars - Boyary

Bombardiers - Bombardiry

Riflemen - Strelki

Yegers (Jaegers) - Yegerya

Zaporozhian Cossacks - Zaporozhskie Kazaki

Don Cossacks - Donskie Kazaki

Yaik Cossacks - Uralskie Kazaki, Yaikskie Kazaki

Nice list there.

On the subjects of yegers- is Russia supposed to be entirely lacking in any long range units? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucan View Post
    Nice list there.

On the subjects of yegers- is Russia supposed to be entirely lacking in any long range units? Just curious.
    They have yegers (range 130) and guard yegers (350). They're just kind of rare.

Decanus

Also the foot cossacks are long range unit (130 range)

If somebody could provide me with historic examples of Russia using rifles in this period, I'd be more than happy to add in a rifles unit.

Until then, though, they'll have to stay the way they are.

Men at Arms mentions, I believe, that Russian jaeger regiments had a 1:20 ratio of rifles. Since multiple units aren't possible, perhaps producing a very small, highly skilled 'rifle yegers attachment' unit would work? Say, 80 men with stats not quite equivalent to other state's elite light infantry?

ON another note, a bit more reading in Men at Arms shows that the Russians were big fans of field fortifications during the Great Northern War, since they disrupted the Swede's favored tactics. Could this be modeled somehow? Maybe by letting the Russians use field fortifications after only one turn instead of two? If that's even possible.

Maybe otherwise it could be represented by giving them a morale bonus on the defensive or something? I dunno if that can be done, but maybe give Russian generals a high % chance of getting the 'good defender' traits?

All of those things other than the Rifles unit are beyond our capabilities.

As for the Rifles, I'll probably just let them be. So Russia doesn't have any (or rather, very many). Big deal. Neither does Spain.

Default Re: Russian Arty?

Secret Howitzers are insane. They're like super long range massive canister shooting space lasers of death. And that's not exaggerating. I went up against them in a battle as Prussia and was utterly mauled. It was pathetic.

I think that IS somewhat compensated for by Russia lacking decent cavalry, infantry, and their huge reload times. They can really only get 2-3 shots in before you close with them. True, those 2-3 shots are devastating, but is that any worse than the Prussian machinegunners?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikepie View Post
    Secret Howitzers are insane. They're like super long range massive canister shooting space lasers of death. And that's not exaggerating. I went up against them in a battle as Prussia and was utterly mauled. It was pathetic.

They are pretty much historical accurate, the IS team know their range and how many rounds they fired.
    I suggest you change your tactics when going up against them, pound them with artillery first before attacking with infantry and cavalry, you can outrange them with most of your guns.

What sort of artillery? And should I use round shot?

Well they sure are fun... This mod really adds a new dimension of faction differences.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikepie View Post
    What sort of artillery? And should I use round shot?

Well they sure are fun... This mod really adds a new dimension of faction differences.

Shuvalov's secret artillery, the round shot aint really round shot, their 48 larger balls than canister and has a longer range, 600, while at range 300 you can open up with canister a lot! of canister 160+ something balls.

If i have read right the Unicorn could also fire the same amo maybe not of the same quantity but the same type of balls, tobad that aint possible in the game, but it's probably not possible to have that many types of amo in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares1000 View Post
    Shuvalov's secret artillery, the round shot aint really round shot, their 48 larger balls than canister and has a longer range, 600, while at range 300 you can open up with canister a lot! of canister 160+ something balls.

If i have read right the Unicorn could also fire the same amo maybe not of the same quantity but the same type of balls, tobad that aint possible in the game, but it's probably not possible to have that many types of amo in the game.
    I meant what to use against them.. I already have firsthand experience of their capabilities... Poor little Prussian Line Infantry..

Ah, well anything that outrange them, 12 pounders, 6 pounders and howitzers, howitzers might be the best to use, specially once you get percussive shells and if the Russian guns are behind hills your gonna need howitzers, they also got very long range.

I find that smaller cannons (3/4/6) pounders are best for dealing with opposing artillery. The guns and crews themselves don't seem to be affected by the 'explosion' and your chances of hitting the crew are remote, to say the least. You've got the same chance of hitting the guns themselves with a 3 pounder as you do with a 12 pounder, and the 3 pounder fires faster.

Howitzer/mortar fire is really ineffective in my experience...it's great for large bodies of troops, but against a fairly small target like artillery?

The MOST effective way to deal with artillery is to just target them with everything. Hurl a giant wall of lead their way and you're bound to hit SOMETHING...although with ETW artillery even that's kind of a crapshoot.

I havent really tried 3 pounders, but they also got less than 600 range, but 6 pounders worked well in a few tests i did, but you got longer range with 12 pounders, you'll need howitzers if the Russians position their guns behind hills, i routed several artillery crews with percussive shells, altough the ranges werent that great in the tests, i do belive tho that the smaller callibre guns are better in general, but i allways use a mix of guns for greater flexibility, often 2x6p, 2x12p and 2x howitzers, sometimes a unit of horse-artillery, havent really experimented to much with them tho.

Yeah, I find the mix of guns works best. Light guns, the 3/4/6/8 pounders are good for their fast rate of fire. The 12lbers are handy for their range and nice explosions, and their canister is quite deadly.

On the subject of canister, am I the only one who's noticed that it's much more effective if you target it behind/in front of an enemy unit? For some reason attacking the unit directly causes cannons to fire A) At the side of a unit, and B) above the unit slightly. Quite annoying. I wish I didn't hate micro management so much or I'd win battles much more handily with that

I havent tried that with canister but i belive your right, i never get why they are fireing at the sides of regiments, annoying indeed.