Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ETW 1.4 patch - important information for TROM

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon4 ETW 1.4 patch - important information for TROM

I was rather shocked to see that the patch will probably be released tomorrow, which seriously screws up my planning, as I am still working on the Ottomans upgrade.

Anyway, I'll do my best to release an ETW 1.4 compatible version of TROM as soon as possible, but it will take me at least a few days. In the meantime you can choose to either play vanilla ETW 1.4 or not update ETW and stick to the current TROM version for the time being.

To turn ETW automatic updates off, you need to set Steam to OFFLINE mode (from the Steam menu, select File > Go Offline).

Another thing that came as a complete shock was the announcement of the Warpath Expansion pack. Once that comes out, I'll probably need some more time to make things compatible.

No need to panic, however

Thanks for understanding.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: ETW 1.4 patch - important information for TROM

Top man. Thank you for the update. Think I'll stick to TRoM and offline until you have worked your magic.

Just when you thought you might get your life back................
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

Eek. There is a wakeup call for me in that as well

Thanks for the advice.

Moop.

I tried for the TROM mod. It does not work for 1.4
    I figured that..But there it is.
    But it does work the blood and smoke. That is good.

ARGHH! I accidentally allowed Steam to update my game... I didn't know they were releasing 1.4 today.

There goes my evening plans. I can't stand playing vanilla ETW.

Also, there have been a lot of people on these forums saying you can't roll back versions of the game, but it just seems too daft to be true. Is there really no way at all that I can get 1.3 back? That just seems absolutely ludicrous to me.

I've had no problems with Steam until now but I finally understand what everybody has been going on about.

Sorry, no way to roll back to a previous version AFAIK...

It seems that some of the internal database files have changed with the patch, so the existing editing tools won't work. This means I'm stuck for the moment.
    I'm sure it won't be long before Lt Chambers & co will release an update for their tool, then the modding work can begin.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Time to catch up on my reading............ oh I didn't leave it online (thanks Johan for posting this yesterday) so can keep playing

Sorry couldn't help but gloat..............

From what I am seeing it has broken more than it's fixed and sodding ship - papers scissors stone............ makes you wonder what numpty thought of that.........
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

Horgo Splendis's Avatar Libertus

In the same boat, left my computer online unaware of the update. Will await patiently for an update, vanilla just is not enjoyable. Thanks for your hard work.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they must say something. Plato

The good news:
    It seems that campaign AI/diplomacy has improved with the new patch: AI sign peace treaties and alliances with each other, and there can be no more wars between allies of allies.

For the next TROM version I will therefore remove all campaign AI/diplomacy changes to ensure none of the new improvements are overwritten.

Now the bad news:
    You'll have to wait.
    There have been a few changes to internal file structures, and updating the TROM files is a bit difficult at the moment because the Editor tool does not work a 100% yet. This also affects Yarkis' Unit Variety and the Ornamentum submods, so be warned. Also, the campaign startpos file has to be edited from scratch again. If all goes well I'll be able to release the new TROM version next week.

Thank you all for your patience

Serenissima's Avatar Tiro

I'll just not play until TRoM is back up and working for the new version.

Also: Please, please, please, PLEASE kill the absurdly stupid naval changes that this new ETW patch introduces in TRoM and keep it realistic! ><
    Most Serene.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

All,

While TROM changes are being made, if you want to try out 1.4 and get ready to just plunk the TROM files in as usual, here's what I did and what my user.empires_script looks like:

1. Downloaded the 1.4 update.
    2. Stripped out all mods from the data folder (copied them into a new folder so I had them safe)
    3. Deleted my 'user.empire_script' , 'profile.last used mods' and preferences file.
    4. Loaded the game (effectively as vanilla) to ensure it worked. Exited.
    5. Downloaded the Empire Optimized files which have been updated for 1.4 already.
    6. Replaced the new-skin only mods and the new Empire Optimized mods in the data folder.
    7. Used Mod manager to load the game again. Exited.
    6. Opened the 'user.empire_script' file that Mod manager creates and manually adjusted the load order (I find that easier and faster than trying to use Mod manager).
    7. Loaded again - and played the game!
    8. Began looking forward to TROM adapted for 1.4...

Here's my 'user.empire_script' file:

gfx_effects_quality 0;
    default camera type 2;
    mod "RoS.pack";
    mod "64th.pack";
    mod "Artillery.pack";
    mod "crazypeonssoundpackV1.pack";
    mod "lodtrickKZ.pack";
    mod "mod_no_tracers.pack";
    mod "mod_ui_historical_eventpics.pack";
    mod "adiuvat_blueskies.pack";
    mod "SirDCC_Armed_Citizenry_patch.pack";
    mod "SirDCC_austrian_hungarian_grenadiers_mod.pack";
    mod "SirDCC_Denmark_Line_patch_.pack";
    mod "SirDCC_Prussia_Line.patch_.pack";
    mod "SirDCC_Spanish_Line.patch_.pack";
    mod "SirGCC_France_Royal_Ecossais_.patch_.pack";
    mod "SirGCC_Hessian.patch_.pack";
    mod "SirGCC_Pandours.patch_.pack";
    mod "BattkeTranKz.pack";
    mod "nonight.pack";
    mod "Xbox360KZ2.pack";
    mod "Xbox360KZ.pack";
    mod "americakz.pack";
    mod "austriakz.pack";
    mod "Britainkz.pack";
    mod "denmarkkz.pack";
    mod "francekz.pack";
    mod "misckz.pack";
    mod "netherlandskz.pack";
    mod "polandkz.pack";
    mod "prussiakz.pack";
    mod "russiakz.pack";
    mod "spainkz.pack";
    mod "swedenkz.pack";
    mod "kz09.pack";
    mod "kz08.pack";
    mod "kz07.pack";
    mod "kz06.pack";
    mod "kz05.pack";
    mod "kz04.pack";
    mod "kz03.pack";
    mod "kz02.pack";
    mod "kz01.pack";
    mod "kz00.pack";

Hope that helps.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Will have a butchers later. Thanks for the script - it helps to see how others have dealt with the hierarchy of files.

At least I can then see what has been messed up before the TRoM team put it right!

Just a heads up:
    Work is well in progress, but I still need to update the campaign startpos file. Don't get too attached to your ongoing campaigns, because you'll have to start over once the update is released.

The main thing to do now is testing...

Without nasty surprises I hope to release the new version sometime next week.

Another status report: most of the coding work is done, we've entered closed beta phase

I am a little worried, however, about battle AI. From what I have seen so far, the Battle AI has become worse with the new ETW patch: the AI seems to blunder (not charge) its army into the enemy's lines rather than shoot it out. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it, or if the behaviour is better in campaign battles.

Dubersive's Avatar Libertus

That's strange, because I've had nothing but positive experiences with both the BAI and CAI. I'm really liking this patch so far, minus the fact that it's deprived me of TROM

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    Another status report: most of the coding work is done, we've entered closed beta phase

I am a little worried, however, about battle AI. From what I have seen so far, the Battle AI has become worse with the new ETW patch: the AI seems to blunder (not charge) its army into the enemy's lines rather than shoot it out. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it, or if the behaviour is better in campaign battles.

I concur with your worry. There are several threads here and on TW forum with extensively researched data(backed with screenshots) that shows without almost any doubt that there is something wrong with land battles.

altbzat's Avatar Libertus

oi guys !

just want to say that we are some men and women in denmark who loves the TROM mod and looks forwardt to what is defenitly going to an improvement on the CA's lesser undermining of realism. and the total lack of AI. We know that we have to wait. but i, and we, think that if you do half as good a job in the E:TW 1,4 as you did on the other versions of TROM, my friends and me are going kneel in the moist autumn soil of jutland.

in short words: we belive in you and an even better E:TW

(btw if you ever need any info on danish army uniforms or regimental music, i would be happy to help because thats more or less what i use my sparetime on. and beyond that im pretty bored currently so just give me a PM or E-mail

regards

altbzat
    Gloria Finis

Would this next version of TROM include the fact that missle cav can fire while moving? Plus the reloading while moving? Along with the fact that light calvery can move faster, and tires much slower? It's the one aspect of this new patch i'm really liking...Minus the fact that the missle cav doesn't have enough ammo.

2 missles cavs, not moving, fire on 1 pikeman regeiment, also not moving. They expend all ammuntion, and only manage 80 kills...
    Last edited by Edax; September 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Grammer

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

The ammo for cavalry might well be closer to realistic. Malborough gave his horse a couple of rounds each as he wanted to encourage them to close and break their enemy with cold steel. The French tactics were based on firing to cause the enemy horse to loose cohesion and then charge and finish the job with a bloodied blade. I am not sure what missile cavalry would have skirmished - retreat and fire - rinse repeat as they would soon be off the battlefield and useless to anyone.

However haven't tested it to see so am, as usual talking out of ignorance..........

Quote Originally Posted by Tancredii View Post
    The ammo for cavalry might well be closer to realistic. Malborough gave his horse a couple of rounds each as he wanted to encourage them to close and break their enemy with cold steel. The French tactics were based on firing to cause the enemy horse to loose cohesion and then charge and finish the job with a bloodied blade. I am not sure what missile cavalry would have skirmished - retreat and fire - rinse repeat as they would soon be off the battlefield and useless to anyone.

However haven't tested it to see so am, as usual talking out of ignorance..........
    Problem with that though, the moral rating of most of the Eastern missle caverly is stuck at 5. Means these guys can barely take on Milita. If they don't have the courage to finished the job, or ammo to take them down, what good are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast