Thread: Clan of the Goddess (An Alternate History of Eire)

Default Clan of the Goddess (An Alternate History of Eire)

Clan of the Goddess

Then Finn again spoke. “You know, my friends, that I never tarry in a house only having one door. Let one of you then, arise, and open that narrow door, so that we may go forth from this foul, smoky den!” – Finn McCool; The Palace of the Quickening Trees

Padraig walked down the path he had walked many times before. He knew every rock, every tree, every stream the wound through the forests of Desmumu and this particular trail was a secret one only known to him. The morning mists still hovered low in the trees and the birds and insects were strangely silent. It was the first day of spring and he was off to a place he had gone every year on this day since he was a child.

He climbed up a hill. Here the brush was thicker, the trail not even visible to the naked eye. He struggled through the undergrowth and pushed his way through a last stand of trees. At last! Padraig emerged into a clearing and paused for a moment as he always had done. The grove was perhaps twenty yards wide and it was a perfect circle. Rising directly in the center of the grove was a stone pillar. It stood twenty feet tall, rising to a point. Still, the trees towered above the ancient relic.

He often wondered how they had got it there, the Tuatha De'Dannan. It had stood there for over two thousand years. It was still hard to believe, even after all his years. Padraig, gently placed his walking stick on the ground and approached the pillar. At the base of the monument there was a small stone altar. He got down on his knees and placed his hands on its surface, tracing the runes he had read countless times before. ‘Here stands a Pillar of Danu, now and forever’. Then he placed his hands firmly on its face and raised his head to the sky.

And there he stayed for hours with his eyes closed as the sun slowly climbed across the sky. Finally he felt it directly on his face, the sun. His heart began to beat faster. ‘Please be there, I am so alone and my burden is too great to bear’. Then he felt it, as he always had on this day, distant and faint but still there. It was a call from across the void like a mournful horn. He let out a sigh of relief, they were still there, that was all he needed to know to carry on for one more year. ‘I am here Danu, you are not forgotten. There is still hope, a forlorn one but hope none the less’.

Then it was gone, suddenly. Every year it was fainter, farther away. He couldn’t help but shed a few tears. He cleared his voice and pulled himself together. Padraig rose to his feet, renewed with purpose. He picked up his walking stick and headed back the way he came. Padraig Fitzpatrick was a Priest of Danu, the last of the druids of Eire. The eerie quiet in the forest broke. The birds resumed their chirping and the crickets, their insistent music.

.............................................................................

Default Re: Clan of the Goddess (An Alternate History of Eire)

Interesting start, can't wait for the following chapters.

Thanks man.

I'm using a heavily modded version of DLV to do this and my computer got hacked last Friday. I had to wipe my drive to protect my personal information,I lost my whole build. I'm moving house and I need to get a really stable version of XP on my computer before I can rebuild my mod. ( I have pretty detailed notes to make that happen). It was pretty devastating, I actually did my mod so I could write the story. I hope I'm back on track by mid-Nov. Moving house half way across the country has really set me back.

So think of the above as a 'prologue', when the story gets going people will be able to 'play along' if they want to with my modded files. It should be pretty cool

wow the story sound sgood,
    sad to hear about your computer getting wipied but i hope you get back on track soon...
    I really, really really want to play this mod ^^
    for those who believe no proof is neccisary,
    for those who dont believe, no proof is enough

Fantasy DLV.... Can't be all bad. Don't worry, I never 'half-love' anything. I should have time over the holidays to recover from my set-back.

Being an Irish Celtic Pagan, I look forward to more of this story! May the God and Goddess bless you
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Thanks mate. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject and I look forward to your feedback to make it as accurate as possible

For the mod will there be a option for multiple shrines?
    but only one per city? ( like for lithuania in kingdoms)
    like a shrine to Arawn (god of death)
    Shrine of Macha (war)
    etc...
    would make it pretty intresting ^^

For version 1.0, there will only be one city 'Dublin/Tara' that can build second and third tier temples and they will be dedicated to different gods. Those temples will allow access to special units and will be expensive and tied to religious conversion. Artifacts and special heroes like Finn McCool and Luge can also be triggered by reaching certain conditions.

Also each of the five provinces in Ireland will have a Kern unit associated with a prominent clan from that area. Each clan will have different stats and eventually skins. These clans will not become available until you have religiously converted the province to Pagan. So there will be a cool subtext involving uniting the clans that triggers special events.

This sounds great! Finally my people are going back to being Pagans!
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989

Hey xtiaan hows the mod coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiach Dearg View Post
    Hey xtiaan hows the mod coming along?
    Yes, I'd like to know also. Given that Ireland was, for the begining of it's Christian identity realy Celtic Christians (they combined much of the Old religion with Christianity, even to the point that Druids and Priests both blessed the planting and harvets celebrations) rather than true latin Christians, I think this is a great idea for a mod. In reality, Ireland could have gone either way. A good book to read showing how the Old religion persisted at least through the late 19th Century is The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries. I highly recomend it. My Mother's paternal family never fully dropped the Old Religion, though I am the first in centuries to openly practice without Christian trappings (my Great Aunt openly practiced as a wise woman, but still attended Church every Sunday, and called upon Saints rather than Gods/Goddesses).

Good luck Xtiaan!

Wish I had better modding skills, or I'd offer to help, but alas, I am a mere historian.

Thanks for asking guys... I upgraded (downgraded?) to Vista and have not been able to get DLV working since. Also I absolutely hate Vista, especially how it organizes the moddable files... It makes it really not fun to mod for me... I was getting pretty good at it in XP so this was hugely disappointing..

As you guys know, I lost all my work when my hard drive crashed right before I was going to release a beta. But I was smart enough to keep really detailed written notes on all the work I did. I'm confident I can get it back to where it was with about two weeks of work once I start working on it again. So it will happen, that won't be the problem.

Bottom line is I'm going to keep working on it when I can upgrade to 7. At the moment I can't even get DLV to work on my Vista machine. So working on it right now is impossible unfortunately.

but the worst is not being able to play... That's pretty devasting for a DLVaddict.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Xtiaan72 View Post
    but the worst is not being able to play... That's pretty devasting for a DLVaddict.
    I can only play for a short time before I smell battery acid of the desktop pc for some wierd reason. However, your not alone
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

PS: and no, Im all good, found a place across the country and mitigated a family feud among other things. How you doing with that record, and moving IIRC?

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

The tour is over... The U.K was great! I'll PM you because actually some crazy shite happened. Some good, some bad.

awesome beginning i am gonna assume he has a walking problem and thats the reason for the walking stick