Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Faction: Brittany

Default Re: New Faction: Brittany

Thanks, but don't get overexcited

Quote Originally Posted by on a mountain View Post
    Ok, a first look at the 6 regions of Bretagne. It is more than we originally planned to do, but this makes all sense strategically. While we have kept the capital names in french, the region names are in Breton, to indicate a stronger french influence in the cities and the nobility, and a more celtic influence on the countryside. The easternmost region is an amalgamate of three historic regions, which were too small to consider viable. This is also the only region to receive a french name, as the language barrier had at that time passed the area in a westward direction.

Last but not least, the easternmost two regions may be rebel regions, for reasons of game play and strategy. So, I want to hear no whining from realo-nationalists that we have raped their country and made the game a farce .

So, very likely, we are looking at the following:
    Ille-et-Villaine (Rennes) rebel
    Naoned (Nantes) rebel
    Sant-Brieg (Saint-Brieuc) breton
    Léon-ha-Dreger (Brest) breton *strategy has also here forced an amalgamation of regions
    Kernev (Quimper) breton
    Wened (Vannes) breton

Oh, and as you can see at the moment it is still all french, as Vas hasn't sent me the files yet. He is finishing Scots first.
    My two pences :
    - Why "Ille-et-Vilaine rebel" instead of "Roazhon rebel", the breton name of Rennes ?
    - The countries around Rennes and Nantes nearly never spoke breton, so you should name the province "(Pays) Rennais" et "(Pays) Nantais"
    - It's Gwened, Wened is only used if there is a word before ( Gwened, but Bro Wened).
    - It's Nantes and not Nante.
    - For the rebel provinces, not historical at all but if it's useful for gameplay purpose, it's the most important

Thanks for the suggestions gwann. I will certainly take them into account. I had a terrible time finding out the proper names of these areas, and wasn't 100% sure on the Breton language limit. In the end I decided to give the two easternmost provinces breton names and their capitals french names as a sort of political statement (for the game): that way, they make up a group which can be considered the heartland of the Breton faction.

Quote Originally Posted by on a mountain View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions gwann. I will certainly take them into account. I had a terrible time finding out the proper names of these areas, and wasn't 100% sure on the Breton language limit. In the end I decided to give the two easternmost provinces breton names and their capitals french names as a sort of political statement (for the game): that way, they make up a group which can be considered the heartland of the Breton faction.
    It's a good idea.

To respect historical culture and a breton specification for the gameplay, perhaps you should name the regions in gallo language, the roman one spoke in Nantes (Naunnt in gallo) and Rennes (Resnn) until the XIXeme. But it's certainly a waste of time.

I was recommending this mod to a friend of mine, with the caveat that France and England were monolithic, and the other factions mere pebbles (in their unit rosters). I felt that France needed internal factions (with script mechanisms that either tied them more closely to the French Crown (AI or human), or forced them to rebellion, by seeking the autonomy of kingdom status, or a similar bond to be vassal states of the Empire, England or Spain.

Vassal status for such factions would include France or the empire establishing tasks for the faction to respond to, as it does to its counsel's assignments with carrot and stick rewards and deadlines to achieve or fail. Brittany seems ideal for a potential subfaction in France, that (historically) would shift between the control of France and England. Burgundy (with its unhistorically weak in cavalry roster) and Flanders could also be vassals of France with the option of switching to the Empire, while Savoy, (an historical client of the Empire) could threaten French or even Spanish allegiance. If the AI could be so modified, one thinks an element of depth and non-predictability would occur in the mod. For this sort of play Navarre with its considerable holdings in Normandy would be an interesting next choice after Brittany for faction modding.

But more to the point of Brittany: it's an interesting choice since historically, its ruling families were tied to both monarchies by non-continuous lands in each kingdom. Early rulers supported the Norman Conquest and the Angevin succession in England. For this support, they were rewarded with the earldom of Richmond in Yorkshire as an hereditary fief. On the French side, the house of Dreux succeeded to rule in Brittany and similarly held a county called Montfort not far from Paris and Orléans.

For the Breton faction player it would pose an interesting problem to have non-continuous possessions, and affect his play in the HYW strategic environment, were he to try to hold onto one or both or even neither of them. Of course one would need to keep them urban for the first few turns to train up necessary civilian agents, later converting them to castles to recruit military garrisons. As isolated bastions, Richmond and Montfort could survive on the sidelines of Anglo-French conflicts.

Sorry to have characterized the Burgundian roster as "cavalry-weak," but historically the southern lands, the duchy and county, were deeply infiltrated with third tier (baronies, seigneuries) nobility and the knights that such fiefs supported. Therefore, it would be no reach for Burgundy to have noble and chivalric knights as France does. It's just an Idea. For the excellent mod, thankyou, Agathon.
    Last edited by Agathon; January 21, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

This looks very exciting. I wait in eager anticipation!

So, how goes the development of the Brittany faction?

=NF=RuzSkullen's Avatar Laetus

ya know, I still have to download this mod

Hi!!

I'm excited for the new version
    I want to know when can we play with this next version?

Thanks!

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

Hopefully before this summer ends..
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

Shot's Avatar Tiro

Great one,

-Believe in yourself-

This Mod is awesome and i cant wait for version 1.0

Is this a living Mod or did it die? i hope it's alive
    I'm a quick learner but i'm still human

if you see i make a mistake don't be afraid to tell if not directly in a pm

Memento Mori

Still alive, good sir!
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Ashton's Avatar Semisalis

Excellent news mate

I've played the faction one time now, and I think it could be interesting if both England and France from start of the game receive a mission to kill either John de Monfort or Charles de Blois. Both Characters are already in the game, with Monfort in Brest and Charles, ..in Nante i think?

These assassination-missions should have the goal of either making Brittany friendly to one of the two major powers, meaning if France succeed to kill Monfort, then Brittany will break its alliance with England, and contrary, if England succeed to kill Charles, then Brittany will break its alliance with France.

Also, regardless of who will get killed, then the result of picking a side will turn at least 2 core Brenton towns and provinces into rebels. Thus a strong representation of Breton rebels, simulation the civil war. The rebellion will then make a new mission for the power having been picked, namely to send support in form of troops to defeat the rebellion. Then, firstly after a successful defeat of the rebels, Brittany should stay as loyal allied with the power picked for the rest of the game.
    Last edited by twmplayer; November 19, 2011 at 04:44 AM.

Another mission could be to capture Monfort or Charles, but that would require a character in-game to be scripted as a kidnapper-network. Cause in 1420, John VI, Duke of Brittany was kidnapped by Olivier de Blois.

Same with Jeanne d'Arc, she too was kidnapped and sold for a ransom to the English.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12