Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Zeus v0.99 - the Omnipotent RTW Validator - It smite thy bugs.

Default Re: Zeus v0.83 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thy bugs.

Is it possible to check the compression of dds files? I ran across an improperly compressed file recently, and it would be a nice feature.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: Zeus v0.83 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thy bugs.

That would be a lot of work and doesn't seem very practical. Just make sure you convert to DXT 5

ProdigalSon's Avatar Foederatus

Really helpful tool, thanks for sharing it Btw is is possible/easy/worth overall to add an option comparing names.txt and descr_names.text. They seem to me too easy to cause campaign loading problems, even when I'm sure I did no mistakes. Ofc it could be me not being as careful as I think and not a big deal overall in modding.
    Hey Moral Soldier you've got righteous proclamations,
    And precious tomes to fuel your pulpy conflagrations.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    That would be a lot of work and doesn't seem very practical. Just make sure you convert to DXT 5
    Yeah, I don't know how easy it would be to check these types of things. So my suggestions my be widely impractical. Please, do let me know if it's too much work to bother.

ProdigalSon: Zeus already checks name errors in descr_strat.txt... Although there can be problems with descr_names.txt becoming corrupt and making the game crash during a random turn when pressing "end turn" (that's what you wanted it to check, right?). If you have any details on why it crashes like this, I would be more than happy to write a method for it.

CaesarVincens: Well, I doubt any decent modder (or self-respecting for that matter) would make an error with converting .dds files, thus making the game crash. That's just plain incompetence. I'm sorry, but I cannot and will not write an ultimate tool to cure stupidity.
    Last edited by RedFox; September 27, 2009 at 07:22 AM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I've heard about the save file becoming corrupt but not the name files. Usually a CTD at autosave is related to user errors in the name file coding.

Autosave is active in my mods now (though it wasn't in my early ones as I played safe) and it gives me no issues.

Unless problems of huge file/map size exist (perhaps!), an autosave CTD is almost certainly down to a coding error.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Somehow I managed to repost instead of editing, see bellow
    Last edited by ProdigalSon; September 27, 2009 at 09:52 AM.

ProdigalSon: Zeus already checks name errors in descr_strat.txt... Although there can be problems with descr_names.txt becoming corrupt and making the game crash during a random turn when pressing "end turn" (that's what you wanted it to check, right?). If you have any details on why it crashes like this, I would be more than happy to write a method for it.
    I think my issue is between names.txt and descr_names.txt, not descr_strat. At least according to the guide that describes ctd reasons, and also cause Zeus finds my descr_strat ok.

The first time i changed the names, ctd happened at end of first turn. Searched everything but couldn't find the cause, so started all over again with changing the names, this time much better organised. Now the game ctd happened when pressing the start campaign arrow. I checked again, and this time i was totally sure about no mistakes. So either I'm wrong both times or something strange happens.

Btw game worked fine before editing the names, so the case is sure around here.

Make sure descr_names.txt encoding is "ANSI". And all the text files in data/text/ are "UCS-2 little Endian"

CaesarVincens: Well, I doubt any decent modder (or self-respecting for that matter) would make an error with converting .dds files, thus making the game crash. That's just plain incompetence. I'm sorry, but I cannot and will not write an ultimate tool to cure stupidity.
    I understand. I was hoping it was something that would be easy enough to check through Zeus. But since it's rare and easy enough to check by sight (look for extra large files), I certainly don't want you to go to too much trouble. Though it is funny; somehow I had two recently added textures wrongly compressed; one from a well respected mod, so I don't know how that was wrong.

Make sure descr_names.txt encoding is "ANSI". And all the text files in data/text/ are "UCS-2 little Endian"
    First time I hear about this. I'll try it, thanks.

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

v0.83 DS Names test sometimes reports errors when rebel character declaration uses sub_faction syntax, i.e.:

Doesn't complain about this:
    Code:
    character, sub_faction spain,    Atteconos the Turdetani,  named character, age 27, , x 39, y 96
    traits Untouchable 1, Independent 1
    ancillaries king_Turdetani, geomancer
    army
    unit        generic rebel general                exp 2 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    But this ...
    Code:
    character, sub_faction gauls,    Camulogenos,  general, age 40, , x 69, y 169
    traits Immovable 1, Untouchable 1, Independent 1
    army
    unit        generic rebel general                exp 2 armour 1 weapon_lvl 1
    ... produces ...

Error! Line: 7343 Name "sub_faction" gauls
    Error! Line: 7343 Surname "gauls" gauls
    From descr_names.txt:
    Code:
    ;; Aedui
    faction: gauls

characters
    ;;added Vindifarna's list
            Adgennorix
            Ambicatos
            Ambiorix
            Ambitoutos
            Andecamulos
            Andecumborios
            Aneroestos
            Aneunicnos
            Apetomaros
            Assedomaros
            Atectorix
            Ategnatos
            Barrivendos
            Bellovesos
            Bituitis
            Boduogenos
            Boduognatos
            Boduorix
            Boiorix
            Bolgios
            Brennos
            Brigomaglos
            Brogomarus
            Camulogenos
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

That's an unorthodox syntax and it makes the tool pick wrong names. I had to make the scanning method as simple as possible, to avoid large scanning times.

Overall, the correct syntax from vanilla is like this:
    Code:
    character     sub_faction greek_cities, Cleon, general, age 20,
    Since your line is like this:
    Code:
    character, sub_faction gauls,    Camulogenos,  general, age 40,
    It happily decides that the name at question is "sub_faction gauls" (not Camulogenos like it should be) -> producing curName="sub_faction"; curSurName="gauls";

I haven't tried using "character, sub_fa.." before, but if it doesn't crash, I guess it's okay, but still, it would be nice if you made it "character sub_fa...", without the comma. I could make an exception for it though, so it gets the right name anyway.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I have the same problem with the current version of ATVTW. The way I dealt with the issue for the second version I'm currently working on is by doing a double split on each line of input. Here's simplified version of my code:

Code:
    StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(...);
    string inputLine;
    string lineHeader; //used to store the first part of the line
    string[] tokenizedInput; //used to store the rest of the input;
    inputLine = reader.ReadLine();
    if(inputLine != ""){
        tokenizedInput = inputLine.split(new char[] { ' ', '\t'}, 2, String.StringSplitOption.RemoveEmptyEntries);
        lineHeader = tokenizedInput[0];
        if(tokenizedInput.Count > 1){
            tokenizedInput = tokenizedInput[1].split(new char[] { ',' }, String.StringSplitOptions.RemoveEmptyEntries;
        }
    }
    This doesn't take into account things like comments which need to be removed and the loop this needs to be in but should help. The gist is split the line once with a space/tab so you can get the first piece and then split the rest of the line with whatever the delimiter should be. In the example I have above its a comma, but you could do it with a space or whatever else separates the rest of the line.

EDIT: I have a dll library I've created which does this and has built in comment removal and such. If you like to use that let me know and I'll send it to you. The comments in it to figure out what's does what are a little sparse right now.
    Last edited by Squid; September 28, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Where does your program program look to determine if its in the right place? I put the zeus program into the directory with the exes and ran the program and got the following error:

Code:
    Failed to determine directory tree
    -Could not find RomeTW.exe
    Yet the exe is definitely in the same directory as zeus.
    Last edited by Squid; September 28, 2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: updates to reflect correct location of zeus
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

I think it's supposed to go into your mod folder. Don't know if it would work if you're making changes directly in vanilla.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

According to the first post it should . . . which is why I was wondering where it was getting it's information about the location of the exe.

It should be at the same level as the data folder.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

So it should be in a location where there is a data folder right? (i.e. Rome - Total War, or Rome - Total War/modname)

Exactly.