Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Zeus v0.99 - the Omnipotent RTW Validator - It smite thy bugs.

Default Re: Zeus v0.91 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thy bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    Hum, ok thanks.
    What's strange is that on my DMB it's not at line 4753 but 4729, and there's no texture alone like that, just one that is commented out.
    Also, if there is a new version, it'd probably be good to add a message that pinpoint the error, and that doesn't quit the program; because after checking my file and seeing nothing, I thought the program was buggy.

PS : Wait, I've tested with notepad++ instead of notepad, and there's indeed what you've shown me.
    Thanks a lot Squid.
    Yeah I used to use notepad++, but I've found a lot of instances where it screws things up like in your example so I stopped using that program.
    "What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
    Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we freakin' funny?" - CPT Spaulding in Devil's Rejects

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Zeus v0.91 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thy bugs.

You have it backwards, he was only able to see the error Zeus found by using notepad++. Notepad was what was screwing things up. I have always used notepad++ and it has never created any problems with files I've edited, unless of course I did something stupid.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Default Re: Zeus v0.8 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thy bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Worsham View Post
    I think I have this bug in my mod. I get a CTD when I save. This happens on various turns each time I restart the game. Sometimes it happens as early as turn 10 and other times I'm as far as turn 30 before it CTD when saving the game. Currently Zeus Tool does not find this bug. Can you add something to Zues Tool to make it check for this bug?
    Zeus does no checking on the validity of descr_names.txt, you should try running it through Tornights names checking tool.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Default Re: Zeus v0.8 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thy bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Zeus does no checking on the validity of descr_names.txt, you should try running it through Tornights names checking tool.
    This is what Notepad++ does to my text files:

I've tried Tornight's tool, and it does not find anything. However, I'm going through my names files manually, and I'm finding lots of duplicate names, and missing names. If you want to make Zues Tool even better maybe you can add name checking to its functionality. As I've pointed out the name checker by Tornnight overlooks a lot of issues which can cause CTDs.
    Last edited by CPT Worsham; April 18, 2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Notepadd++ Image
    "What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
    Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we freakin' funny?" - CPT Spaulding in Devil's Rejects

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Looks good,but when i donwload it and put it in and run it,it says that it has a error and must close.
    Help?
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CPT Worsham View Post
    This is what Notepad++ does to my text files:
    All that means is that you have incorrectly set notepad++ to use unix style end of line characters. Aside from readability in any program that can't handle both windows & unix end of lines (e.g. vanilla notepad) there are no problems caused by this. The easy fix is to convert the file in notepad++ to use windows style end of lines (Edit->EOL Conversion->Windows Format). If its already in windows format convert to unix and then back again.

I've tried Tornight's tool, and it does not find anything. However, I'm going through my names files manually, and I'm finding lots of duplicate names, and missing names. If you want to make Zues Tool even better maybe you can add name checking to its functionality. As I've pointed out the name checker by Tornnight overlooks a lot of issues which can cause CTDs.
    I'll have to disagree as I've used Tornight's tool and never had it miss a name related bug that would cause a CTD. You likely have a formatting issue somewhere in one of the files that is keeping Tornight's program from working properly. What CTD causing bugs is it not catching?

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Looks good,but when i donwload it and put it in and run it,it says that it has a error and must close.
    Help?
    What's the exact error? A screenshot of the error would be ideal, including its stack trace if applicable. Without that information I can't help you.

It is one of these " "Program X" has econtered a problem and needs to exit,we are sorry for the incovidence."messiges.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    It is one of these " "Program X" has econtered a problem and needs to exit,we are sorry for the incovidence."messiges.
    A screenshot of the error would be ideal, including its stack trace if applicable. Without that information I can't help you.
    That's what I need then, most likely you'll find the extra details by pushing the details button.

That's what I need then, most likely you'll find the extra details by pushing the details button.
    How do i get a screen??

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

The printscreen button and then paste it into an image using your favourite image editing software.

The printscreen button and then paste it into an image using your favourite image editing software.
    Prinscern doesent work for me...

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

This might be a tad late, but I'd recommend saving your RTW text files in ANSI encoding, otherwise you'll get an inexplicable CTD.

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

Except for the ones in data/text which must be unicode formatting not ascii for the same reason, if they aren't you'll get a CTD.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

I apologize for necro-posting but how exactly does the descr_ui_buildings checker works?
    I'm not sure if I figured it out properly...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

There's no descr_ui_buildings checker. Do you mean the ui card checker, because if so it checks to make sure that all buildings/units have the appropriate ui cards. For checking building ui cards you need to use descr_ui_buildings.txt as it allows for cards to have a different name and for cards to have a different culture, which gives a different location to check for the ui cards.

Do you know any program that checks related errors? I currently have a nasty CTD that we think is related to descr_ui_buildings but we cannot find it.
    Adding cultures is harder than I expected...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Squid's Avatar Opifex

Blog Entries

The only possible error that can result from descr_ui_buildings is the carthaginian culture error, or when you have one culture that is remapped to more than one, like the carthaginian culture in vanilla RTW. Adding the extra culture into the game is really easy, but you do realize that you can only add one extra culture, the a hardcoded limit of 7 cultures in the game.

Well, we're trying to add hun and nomad cultures from BI and deleting egyptian to make sure there is enough room...
    It's something we need to fully unlock a few BI features, in XC5 I want to use 99% of what BI has to offer.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

odil987's Avatar Civis

Hello,

I don't know where can I post this and where can I have answers for this.

I play SPQR 8.0 mod for Rome Total War patch 1.5

Here is the download link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397388

I want to change something in the game.... I want the legionaries and the auxilian and the princeps and the hastati units to have a spear at the start. That spear should look like a pilum. After it, when the enemy is enough close to throw the spear, they'll throw the pilum, and after it they should change to their gladius (sword).

Is this possible to do it?

Can you help me?

Sorry for my bad english...

S•P•Q•R 8.0 BETA by odil
    Coming soon!

Thanks RedFox !!

+ rep for the effort and the tool