Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeus v0.99 - the Omnipotent RTW Validator - It smite thy bugs.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Icon4 Zeus v0.99 - the Omnipotent RTW Validator - It smite thy bugs.

it smite thy bugs;

Zeus - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB and DS Validator

Tired of using the bulky old console validators over and over again? Fear no more, Zeus is here to smite your RTW bugs, all in one package. Yup. Just select the test type and click START. The program does the rest.

Make sure to put this little thing inside your modfolder.
    Like this: "Rome - Total War/myModFolder/Zeus_Tool_v*.exe"
    Or if your mod doesn't have a modfolder: "Rome - Total War/Zeus_Tool_v*.exe"
    You also need to download and install the latest Microsoft .NET Framework -> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Main features include:

>> EDB Unit Ownership Validation

- Checks whether your EDB unit ownerships match those permitted in the EDU. This error often causes crashes in less-polished mods.
    - Option: Also checks descr_rebel_factions.txt. Incorrect ownerships here can cause a CTD when a rebel stack is spawned.

>> DMB File References Validation
    - Checks if an unit in DMB is used in the EDU table. Note: This check ignores mount animals
    - Option: includes checking of Texture references
    - Option: includes checking of Model references
    - Option: includes checking of Sprite references

>> Descr Strat Validation
    - Character Name Validation (A really useful feature, it lists all your campaigns and allows batch scanning of all of them; Invalid character names are a frequent cause of CTD's for mods in development)
    -Building type checker
    -Unit type checker

>> UI Card Validation
    - Something you've always dreamed of: Find all the unit / building cards that are missing. Function cross-checks between descr_ui_buildings.txt , EDB and of course, the pak files, to find the cards. If current card found -> error with details.
    - Option: warns if the mod is using an unit card from the vanilla pak's
    - Option: checks unit cards from EDU instead of EDB - recommended for mods that don't have a campaign (like Napoleon TW).

>> EDU Model Reference Validation
    - Checks that for all units the corresponding model(s) exist
    - Option: check for corresponding textures
    - Option: check for corresponding sprites

>>Names Validation
    - Checks if names in descr_names.txt have corresponding text/names.txt
    - Checks for duplicate entries in descr_names.txt and text/names.txt
    - Checks for unused entries in text/names.txt
    - Option: generate descr_names_lookup,txt
    - Option: validate descr_names_lookup,txt

Download Zeus v0.99

Changelog:

v0.99 Beta
    - See here
    v0.93 Beta
    - See here
    v0.92 Beta
    - See here
    v0.91 Beta
    - See here
    v0.90 Beta
    - See here
    v0.89 Beta
    - See here
    v.088 Beta
    - See here
    v0.87 Beta
    - Fixed some annoying bugs.
    v0.83 Beta
    - Stability issues and some bugs fixed.
    v0.82 Beta
    - DMB scan now properly reports textures
    - Fixed yet another bug in building card checker, thanks for pointing it out CV

v0.81 Beta
    - Fixed a logic error in Building card checker
    - Fixed a rare start-up fail (cross-thread call before object created)

v0.8 Beta
    - Added Building card checking (really complex stuff here)
    v0.75 Beta
    - Added Unit card checking feature
    - Improved scanning code and error displaying
    - Added PAK reading feature

v0.71
    - Fixed DS scan bug with re_emergent factions.
    v0.7
    - Immensly improved speed of EDB scan - takes ~1 second, compared to 10+ seconds before
    - Fixed directory checking in DMB scan, also fixed a sprite check crash
    - Fixed a few UI bugs
    - DMB scan now includes descr_model_strat and descr_character, mounts are still ignored for now
    v0.6 Beta

This tool is intended to grow in features along the way. If you have an idea for another validation process, post it here. Or if you have any feedback or suggestions, also make sure to post it here.
    Last edited by Squid; November 29, 2019 at 05:32 PM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Zeus v0.6 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thine bugs.

Great tool, RedFox!

A couple of things I noticed:

* It reports "errors" for unused factions in EDU/DMB. Maybe it could detect which are in use or you could create a checkbox list?

* It reports a lot of missing models and textures which are, um, not missing - not sure why
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Default Re: Zeus v0.6 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thine bugs.

Thanks for this very useful tool, RedFox.
    Is it possible to link the DMB check to the descr_character.txt file as the battle model is also referenced there?

- Option: Also checks descr_rebel_factions.txt. Incorrect ownerships here can cause a CTD when a rebel stack is spawned.
    What do you mean with this? There are no faction ownerships in descr_rebel_factions. Do you mean the EDU ownership of the units included in drf? In my experience those need the slave ownership or the game crashes, but it does so with no error and on campaign loading, not after it had loaded.

florin80: Yes, that is exactly what it does. It checks if the unit in DRF is either Merc or belongs to slave.
    hacon: Yes, it's always possible, just a bit more complex. I'll be sure to expand it that far eventually.

MasterOfNone: The thing with building a validator like this is that you can never really account for all the variables, thats why you need beta testing. Since the files I tested on were exceptionally clean and organized, there was little room for error.

Could you PM me your files in a rar archive? :: sm_factions, DMB, EDB, DRF, EDU, so I can figure out what it does right/wrong.

Right now I'm in the process of rewriting the EDB scan method, which should make it almost as fast as Zeus's lightning bolt.
    Last edited by RedFox; September 02, 2009 at 07:51 AM.

Well, I like to think I'm one of the cleanest coders around

I tested it on Viking Invasion II and it registered *many* missing models and textures - which is interesting as VI2 is CTDless and a year old (let me know which files you need if you do not have VI2)

As for the other issue, I believe the problem may lie in cultures. If I use "barbarian" in the EDU or EDB I think Zeus is taking that to mean ALL barbarian factions and not just the barbarian ones in use. Mods with large numbers of factions in a culture will probably use the culture name rather than listing all the factions.

Like I asked, send me VI2 sm_factions, DMB, EDB, DRF, EDU

As for cultures, that can't be the issue, since it checks per faction with its culture. So if the current faction that is being scanned is gaul <barbarian>, it finds a recruitment conditional with gaul or barbarian, then it checks if the EDU entry has gaul or barbarian.

There can be some mishaps, especially I think if there are multiple brackets, but it will be polished along the way. That's why I'd like to get my hands on a more complex EDB. Can you send me the files?

I've attached the vi2 files as regards the texture/model issues.

As regard ownership an error is reported when you have a faction defined in the edu ownership but a culture defined in the EDB which results in it reporting an error for every faction in that culture.

So in EDB:

recruit "my unit" 1 requires factions { barbarian, }

and EDU:

ownership slave, saxons

results in an error reported for all barbarian factions (even though not referenced in the EDU or EDB at all).

I have replaced the latter with "slave, barbarian" and all errors have ceased.

It is important to note at which factions cycle it reports the error. If the recruitment conditional is "barbarian," and the unit ownership itself is only for one or two factions of that culture, it means the validator is doing its job correctly.

Since you assigned the EDB conditional to barbarian, that unit in EDB will be checked for all the barbarian factions. The validator could only match an unitOK result for saxons then (?).

AFAIK, this causes a crash in RTW and is what this validator is after, or am I missing some crucial bit of information regarding recruitment conditions?

EDIT: By the way, I also need descr_sm_factions.txt.
    Last edited by RedFox; September 02, 2009 at 10:01 AM.

I noticed that emergent factions break DS name checking. I tried it on XC Senate files, where we have emergent factions, and it tried to use the next faction's family for the previous (emergent) faction.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Can you send me the DS please?

The original files had other barbarian factions in, which is why - but I've never see a ctd by using culture names, in fact you have to use them in some places in the edb or it will crash.

I shall probably change them to factions anyway - that's the way I usually do it, it was just because of the base I was using that it was cultural rather than factional.

As for the missing models and textures - it seems to happen with all the mods I've tested so you should see it happen when you test a mod you have installed...

I can't test the files before you send me the sm_factions file. It is required for loading the program. I'd really like to test it.

Edit: Also, the missing textures part is because the modfolder is in bi/vi2/, I was hoping that most people would use a regular mod folder. I'll see what I can do to fix it.
    Last edited by RedFox; September 02, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

I'm at school, but when I get home, I'll send you the files. Otherwise, if you have Extended Cultures, install it using the Senate campaign and just test that.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

Great job redfox

I'm already improving it greatly, it now properly detects the working directory and the EDB scan takes about 1 second.

It's about fixing the bugs and mishaps for now. The code I tested on was much cleaner, so it was less prone to errors. Any suggestions for new features?

Thanks a lot for this great tool. I will test it as soon as I get home tonight.

A regular folder? Most (if not all) BI mods I've seen use the bi folder, usually mods that try to run off both rtw and bi (and are originally made for rtw) are in a rome directory modfolder.

EDIT: VI2 sm faction file attached.
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; September 02, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

MasterOfNone: I fixed the directories now, it scans up three directories and if a RomeTW*.exe file is detected, it sets the new path. I also added output text for the directory (so people can see what goes wrong) and it will throw an error message if it can't detect any RomeTW files. This only applies to DMB scan if an extra option is ticked.

Default Re: Zeus v0.7 - the Omnipotent EDB, DMB, DS Validator - It smite thine bugs.

Uploaded v0.7 Beta
    - Immensly improved speed of EDB scan - takes ~1 second, compared to 10+ seconds before
    - Fixed directory checking in DMB scan, also fixed a sprite check crash
    - Fixed a few UI bugs
    - DMB scan now includes descr_model_strat and descr_character, mounts are still ignored for now

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast