Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greek Cities Speed Run

Chicken's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Greek Cities Speed Run

give RTRPE a try, the Greeks are sooooo bad there. i doubt u can complete it there on VH/VH.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

Change's Avatar Semisalis

I hate u!!! Think of ur troops!!!

Sixteen turns is quite the accomplishment! I had never thought about that particular use for grouping, by the way. Very nice to know!
    I thought the goal was to "conquer" 50 settlements, not bribe them? I'm just kiddding, of course. Nicely done, there.
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

I would be interested to either see a RTR or RS battle.

For the ultimate challenge in Speed-Runs, try EB. But in reality, RTR would also be quite difficult. As would RS...Pretty much any mod that requires Barracks conversion or uses an AoR system would be an enormous challenge. Instead, I would suggest another Vanilla Run (BI would also be difficult). Perhaps as a faction such as Numida, Scythia, or the WRE. Good luck in any future venture, whatever mod/faction combination you choose!
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by coolguyz View Post
    OMG!!!!!!!!

U DID IT IN UNDER 21 TURNS!!!! (EVEN BETTER THAN THE MEDIEVAL 2 GUY!!!!)

THAT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DOUBT 16 TURNS WILL EVER BE BEATEN!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats Genius I hope you try BI before going into mods but then again I don't really care I just want to see you kill. Another guy called Ask The Pizza Guy completed a whole campaign in 8 turns with M2. Then again they're different games.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Thank you for the comments everyone. I played a little bit of EB a year or so ago. Not really built for speed-runs is it ? Is RTR the same with Areas of Recruitment etc?

That actually annoyed me a bit when I was playing it, more historically accurate sure, but makes it awfully hard to be a conqueror from the word go which is what I like to do. Perhaps I didn't play it enough to figure it out though...

Another option is to play a themed campaign for RTW. Something like 'only use cavalry', where I pick a faction and can only use the cavalry I can get and never recruit or hire mercenaries. That would tie in well with Scythia. I'd just have to run away from the Seleucids when they start producing Scythed Chariots and Elephants. Or I could go the opposite and have no mounted units, including generals. That'd be a real challenge.

Magmaniac's Avatar Civis

What about... no training new units? Only your starting units and mercenaries can be used for a campaign. REtraining would be acceptable. I think that would make for a fun campaign.
    Insatiable as the flame, I burn, and consume myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaniac View Post
    What about... no training new units? Only your starting units and mercenaries can be used for a campaign. REtraining would be acceptable. I think that would make for a fun campaign.
    Think about their families man...

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Another option is to play a themed campaign for RTW. Something like 'only use cavalry', where I pick a faction and can only use the cavalry I can get and never recruit or hire mercenaries. That would tie in well with Scythia. I'd just have to run away from the Seleucids when they start producing Scythed Chariots and Elephants. Or I could go the opposite and have no mounted units, including generals. That'd be a real challenge.
    I suggest using Greece again, with only cavalry.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Thank you for the comments everyone. I played a little bit of EB a year or so ago. Not really built for speed-runs is it ? Is RTR the same with Areas of Recruitment etc?

That actually annoyed me a bit when I was playing it, more historically accurate sure, but makes it awfully hard to be a conqueror from the word go which is what I like to do. Perhaps I didn't play it enough to figure it out though...

If you play as Carthage in The Iberian Conflict, you'll be playing as Hamilcar Barca during the Barcid conquest of Iberia. It's only a short campaign, but it's thematic enough.

EB, RS (At least with the Romans. I haven't tried another faction yet), and RTR all use the AoR system. Makes speed conquering well-nigh impossible. I love the historical-accuracy, and I don't play for going fast anyway.
    An all-cavalry campaign would be hard. You'd have to wait out the sieges or just use very small armies and wait for the sallies. I've considered doing that, actually, as it matches my slower, less aggressive style.

No news GotR, if you don't mind me calling you that?

Chicken's Avatar Senator

u could try amazon total war, using one of the amazon factions...

they have quite well equipped infantry and cavalry
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

No time to play right now, gotta get into my final essays, but I'll let you know what happens when something does...

Good Luck on your essays.

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Congratulations, Genius. An amazing accomplishment.

I definitely learned a fair bit from it. Keep us updated on your next plans.

I finished my Blitz campaigns in Spain and Greece and took all the settlements that had not fallen to the Julii or Brutii yet. But I am having a hard time in Lybia fighting my way through to the Nile. The Egyptians are simply spamming armies slowing down my advance, which suffers from my slow and insufficient supplies from Sicilia and Carthage. But now, I can totally focus on Egypt, unless I send my Spanish army to Britain (Julii took all of Gaul already). But I guess attacking Egypt as well as Britain would be a total overstretch and causing corruption and loayalty issues.

leseras's Avatar Miles

This thread is awesome. I love the greeks too. Attempting them on hard now. So was this campaign on medium or hard? Anyways good job in finishing so quickly.

Cheers
    I played this campaign on vh/vh difficulty. Hope it helped a bit for the one you're playing now. They can be a tricky faction to use with their abundance of hoplites but lack of effective cav

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Give RTR: The Iberian Conflict a try, if only for the first few battles. The first Carthaginian battle in particular is known for being a bast.
    Play SPQR, your first fight against Hanibal will end in failure.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast