Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Using DBEditor *Added Explanation of TSV Ability to Part 2*

WesW's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Guide to Using DBEditor *Added Explanation of TSV Ability to Part 2*

I figured out how to load the pack files. You might want to note in the instructions that you must hit OK the first time the Pack Loading Manager comes up, even though for unmodded games it's not going to show anything.
    Last edited by WesW; January 17, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: Guide to Using DBEditor *Added Explanation of TSV Ability to Part 2*

This is amazing guide and it was really helpful. NEvertheless ive encountered problems i cant resolve on my own. now in dbeitor 1.8 when you add new table and do some tweaks/edits usually your changes affect those greyed out main tables and stuff there appears red, but wont affect units in game. To be precise some of the changed thigs affect unit stats and details in game such as: unit sizes, stats of reloading, accuracy, morale, etc. Nevertheless wont affect special abilities as i cant change them or even when i for example change euro_highlaners_scots officer, standar bearer and drummer to euro officer2 standar berarer and drummer they still look scottish. Also funny thing happened, i manageed to make euro_highlanders recruitable in campaign map for GB, but cant make them selectable in single battle (ive got early and late both as "true"). Also i cant change icons and infos of units - both british highladers and holland highlanders scots have black watch icons.

Sorry for my adb english, but im really wasted as im trying to mod stuff for almost 20 hours non stop (talk about being a nolefier).

Nevermind my illiterate post above. Seems I'm too wasted. Aniways I managed to solve most of the issues posted above. Cheers for the great tutorial again - never seen more qulity post on these forums.

Alright, i've done everything correctly up until the whole Screen name part, In PFM to the letter, yet in my game the name still doesn't show up. I did the clone line part in the text/localisation.loc changed the name just like it says changed the pack type to movie and saved but when I go to the custom battle screen the unit just shows up as (Elite Infantry), it looks just like the first picture in Step 4. Other than that everything worked out fine.

EDIT: Neverminid I fixed it. I just made a small typo in PFM. Thank you so much for tutorial, it was wonderful.
    Last edited by TXtoker38; January 25, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

wait...wt u mean by "load My MOD.Pack" ?

OKAY PPL thats it i figured it out (by reading previously posted replies.lol) hahah what a nooob!!!
    Last edited by rhetoric; February 05, 2010 at 08:57 AM.

okay never mind
    Last edited by rhetoric; February 05, 2010 at 08:57 AM.

First of all, big thanks to LtChambers for the outstanding editor! I havent done any modding on any total war game until today, but i found most of it surprisingly easy and understandable. A thousand thanks to jinarik for the tutorial too.

So... I wanted to add two units to my game; first a standard easily recruitable highlander unit for england. I followed jinariks tutorial to the letter, I copied the black watch and modified all recruitment and unit stats and it works perfect.

secondly, I really liked the texture of the new 33rd foot (elite units of america DLC) and decided to copy it and make a "New Pattern Line Infantry" unit to be almost identical ( to the standard british line. Same procedure as the highlanders, and it shows up in the recruitment menues and the selection menu for single battles. All stats are the way I want them. But, the game crashes as I go into the battle.

What is the problem? I think i saw an explanation in a different thread (the issues with patch3.pack) but I did not understand what to do and what files to extract and import. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I am a total noob at this, so forgive me any bleedin obvious questions :-)

Question: I got the editor working (I'm able to edit units I want and start "My mod") but I have a problem when trying to change the unit model. I'm trying to make my Marines look like Green Jackets. Can anyone help? I try changing the unit name to no avail. Is it because they are different unit types? Do I need to change more fields then just model name? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Hi i'm new...

Well...I did all Step1 and I want to create a new unit...but when I save the changes in \My_Units it's make me an error...there is the text:

Information on how to invoke the debug JIT (Just-In-Time) instead of this dialog
    are shown at the bottom of the message.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object from DBNull to other types.
    in System.DBNull.System.IConvertible.ToInt32 (IFormatProvider provider)
    in System.Convert.ToInt32 (Object value)
    in DBEditor.DBDataSet.writeTable (DataTable table, BinaryWriter writer, Int32 version)
    in DBEditor.DBDataSet.WriteDB (DataTable table, Int32 version)
    in DBEditor.DBEditorForm.saveFileTable (DataTable fileTable)
    in DBEditor.DBEditorForm.saveCurrentDataTable ()
    in DBEditor.DBEditorForm.saveToolStripMenuItem_Click (Object sender, EventArgs e)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent (Object key, EventArgs e)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick (EventArgs e)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick (EventArgs e)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp (MouseEventArgs e)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive (EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent (EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp (MouseEventArgs mea)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp (MouseEventArgs mea)
    in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp (Message & m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (Message & m)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (Message & m)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc (Message & m)
    in System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc (Message & m)
    in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message & m)
    in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (Message & m)
    in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback (IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Assembly loaded ************** **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    DBEditor
    Assembly Version: 1.7.0.0
    Win32 version: 1.7
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Users / FEFA / AppData / Local / Temp / Rar $ EX00.248/DBEditor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Common
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Users / FEFA / AppData / Local / Temp / Rar $ EX00.248/Common.DLL
    System.Windows.Forms.resources
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_it_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
    System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Data
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Xml
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Xml.Linq
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
    System.Configuration
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    mscorlib.resources
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ic0zeiu8
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    Accessibility
    Codebase: file: / / / C: / Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable JIT debugging, you must set the value
    jitDebugging section System.Windows.Forms configuration file
    application or computer (machine.config).
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    activated.

Eg

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </ configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptions
    are sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer,
    rather than being handled by this dialog box.

Please some1 help me!!!

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

How do I make a unit only recruitable in certain regions? I want to make a line-infantry unit that can only be recruited by Portugal. If that isn't possible, then I'd like to make a line-infantry unit that can only be recruited in Portugal.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

In units You have this ability. You can choose recrutation area (campaign map) there.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
    In units You have this ability. You can choose recrutation area (campaign map) there.
    What is the directory called? I couldn't find it.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

great mod tutorial, thanks.
    Last edited by Cassius Gnarus; March 13, 2010 at 05:45 PM.

This is good stuff. Now how do you delete and completely remove the mod you just created. I did the delet part and I still have the My_Mod.Pack file still existing even though it doesn't appear in the Nav bar anymore?

This tutorial has been very helpful! I was just wondering though, would the process be similar for removing a unit? For instance, removing the Mughal and Maratha ability to build large ships of the line.

Hello

first of all, thanks for this great tutorial which just taught me how to override CA's tables with my own (part 2 of the guide) and therefore allowed me to get rid of fire by rank

I have a question though : why does it work?

I mean, through that process, all you do is making a new mod pack

how come using both PFM and DBEditor that way makes the game use your tables instead of CA's ?

cheers!

Ashu-Siralis's Avatar Senator

This stuff is great! Thanks a hell of a lot guys!

Irishguy11's Avatar Civis

Hi, I'm new and also a bit stuck

I was modding E:TW to unlock grand campaigns for minor nations. I have got far enough but have encountered a problem. I can't use them in grand campaigns, only custom battles! I have got a slightly different version of DBEditor, called DBEditor_1.8. This is not so easy to understand, and it also makes doing the things explained on the thread very difficult.

If you know anything about the version I have or the process I am trying, can you please help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wipo View Post
    Hello

first of all, thanks for this great tutorial which just taught me how to override CA's tables with my own (part 2 of the guide) and therefore allowed me to get rid of fire by rank

I have a question though : why does it work?

I mean, through that process, all you do is making a new mod pack

how come using both PFM and DBEditor that way makes the game use your tables instead of CA's ?

cheers!
    You see, the program is really simple. It replaces the things you changed or deleted into your settings. So when you deleted fire by rank, Empire total war said to itself "Hey, that thing the programmers made is gone!"

It's the same when you create new units or playable factions. Empire says "I've never seen that before" and changes the program to the settings you made. So, say I made Bavaria into a playable nation, the computer would recognize new pieces of kit that never before has been noticed. That's why your fire by rank is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlmrtl8302 View Post
    This is good stuff. Now how do you delete and completely remove the mod you just created. I did the delet part and I still have the My_Mod.Pack file still existing even though it doesn't appear in the Nav bar anymore?
    The computer recognizes there was a file there. The files are still there, but if you tried them, they would not work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast