Thread: What do you look for in a Magistrate?

Civitate

Default What do you look for in a Magistrate?

Right, third and last one now.

To copy and paraphrase from before. ''Basically, I'm trying to find out what the voting habits of everyone is. I.e. What type of person they are voting for, the qualities they best want in their Magistrate, what would win their vote etc. You know the deal.

We'll have a discussion then the most commonly occurring thing, I'll put in a poll for people to vote for to best present the results.

So far as possible options in the vote, I have;''

• Maturity
    • Respect for the ToS (not wanting to indirectly change it)
    • Experience as a past councillor
    • Experience as a past Magistrate
    • Experience as a Tribune
    • Past Hex experience
    • Moderator experience
    • Likely to hold the Moderation to account properly
    • Act independently, and not just following the crowd
    • Attitude
    • Personality
    • Has the same or similar views to you in the Curia
    • Likelihood of actually spending enough time on the job
    • Popularity/fame
    • Judgement style and potential conduct -- Harsh/lenient
    • Interpretation of the ToS
    • The length of time they have been a citizen
    • Real Life age
    • Being a current staff member
    • Other

Feel free to suggest something I may have missed out.

Right, so I'll start;

I vote on the basis of how they will potentially interpret the ToS, and if it fits my view, and how lenient/harsh they will be and to what extent are they prepared to be principled and honourable enough to act independently and go out on a limb to hold the moderation to account.

AS BEFORE: Their ''popularity'', fame, badges, jobs, age, political views, personality, attitude etc. are all irrelevant to me completely. Along with current staff position etc. and all that jazz.
    Last edited by Каие; August 29, 2009 at 05:13 AM.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Default Re: What do you loko for in a Magistrate?

These are the qualities I look for in a tribune. I at least partly fail to measure up on one or more criteria.

• Doing the job within the defined bounds, without seeking to push these further.
    • Putting the job before themselves. Anyone who throws a tantrum at not getting their own way shouldn't even be considered.
    • Independently minded, but not contrary for the sake of being contrary.
    • Clean. Tribunes have no business treading the lines of the ToS.
    • Dutiful. They should do the job at hand, however unpleasant they may find it.
    • Responsible. What's in Quarters stays in Quarters.

In some ways, they're the same qualities I look for in moderators, with one important difference. Initiative, which I value so highly in moderators, isn't as important in tribunes/magistrates, as their job is to do, and not to define. Conversely, while moderators who are a little loose on some of the above may still be good moderators, tribunes should adhere to the above absolutely.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Default Re: What do you look for in a Magistrate?

I think that being a moderator is at times a difficult and thankless job. The Magistrate needs the experience of the Moderator, but the skills for success are only a bit related.

pannonian's post is pretty close to my look at the requirements. I might add that a Magistrate must be able to clearly understand what others have written and to write clearly so that their own comments are not misunderstood.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Not feeling the need to rewrite the ToS.

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Maturity and passion.

Maturity because any immaturity would just result in ridiculous situations. Disagreements within the Tribunal have to still be kept respectful to one another, and firmly rooted in the ToS, not just throwing toys out of your pram because people don't agree with you.

Passion because you have to be made of strong stuff to stand your ground when Tribunes, other magistrates or men in red disagree with your point of view, but you disagree with theirs. My own experience has tested my mettle at times, and I have needed my passion (some would call it my temper ) to help me not just follow the crowd. Remember, people that are involved in the tribunal discussions are highly respected members of the site.
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Calvin hits it spot on for me, but with a couple of additions, because Pann is dead right when he says "clean", though of course, thats a Constitutional requirement as well. His comments on dutiful and responsible are also important, because the Tribunal is a very responsible job with tribunes and magistrates being given, where appropriate, the same sort of information available to the admin to assist them in making the correct decisions, and its important that that information stays confidential.

Mags must have the ability to set aside personal preference and not hesitate to uphold infractions that are clear ToS violations, even where they disagree with the ToS itself and even if they personally like the user or agree with what was posted. The place to debate ToS revisions is the Curia, not the Tribunal and its important that Tribunes only seek to make sure the ToS is applied fairly, not change it.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Knowing when it's unhelpful to apply the ToS.
    Last edited by Søren; September 06, 2009 at 04:05 PM.