Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historical (18th Century) Artwork Event Messages - V1.1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Default Historical (18th Century) Artwork Event Messages - V1.1

Overview One of the things in Empire that I always felt could use a bit of 'touching up' are the event messages that pop up at the start of every new turn. That's where this mod comes in.

I think the artist that was hired by the Creative Assembly to make these graphics did a great job, but obviously it's impossible to compete with the actual masters of the late 17th, the entire 18th and the early 19th century.

To give Empire: Total War that proper historic feel, I decided to go out and find artwork that was actually from the period itself or as close to it as possible, and integrate it into the game.

In-Game Screenshots
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

All Event Messages
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Installation Instructions If you've downloaded the patch .pack, extract the .rar file to steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data and enjoy the changes!

If you've downloaded the mod .pack, extract the .rar file to steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data, and make sure use the Mod Manager to activate it or add mod_ui_historical_eventpics.pack to the user.empire_script file.

Credits For their artwork suggestions, I would like to thank the following members of TWCenter:

- StalinCore
    - TitanVoyager
    - Yoram777

Also, since most of the work here was done by actual painters, I can barely take the credit for this mod. All I did was find their paintings and integrate them into a mod. Obviously no infringement was intended.

Download Download patch .pack from MediaFire

Download mod .pack from MediaFire

Compatibility This mod doesn't add any new events to the game, it simply 'retextures' the existing event pictures. Therefore it is compatible with the vanilla game, with all existing gameplay changing mods and all savegames. If you've downloaded another mod that changed the look of the in-game event pics, there might be a conflict, but as far as I know this is the only one of its kind at the moment..

Enjoy! And feel free to let me know what you think.. Suggestions, comments and constructive criticism is always welcomed..
    Last edited by jarnomiedema; August 31, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Changed the version to 1.1, added new screenshots and section on compatibility

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Historical (18th Century) Artwork Event Messages

Very stylish!

I notice that you include a few pictures for events that I have never seen (e.g. Naval Mutiny). Do you know if these events work in ETW?
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Nice! +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Ziem's Avatar Civis

Very nice Mr. Miedema! +rep

Z.

Very nice mod! thanks a lot for sharing this with us
    downloading right now

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Wow,EPIC Work Jarno,Thanks!
    +rep
    Greetings!

this is great, thank you very much +rep

They look extremely good!

awesome thx +rep

This will certainly add some atmosphere +rep

I also want to know more about these 'mutinys'
    +rep
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Lovely work!!!

Looks very nice , using it right now !

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

First of all, thank you for all the positive feedback! Glad to hear you're all enjoying it! I have some bad news to share with you all though, but first a reply to these questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    I notice that you include a few pictures for events that I have never seen (e.g. Naval Mutiny). Do you know if these events work in ETW?
    Quote Originally Posted by -TopCat- View Post
    I also want to know more about these 'mutinys'
    +rep
    Unfortunately, at the moment, these events seem to be inactive. The main reason why I decided to retexture them was because I thought it'd be a good idea to make new graphics for them in case a more skilled modder than myself manages to unlock / create these events in-game. So, unfortunately we will not be seeing these event graphics pop up in-game for some time..

Now, the bad news I wanted to share: I've just started playing my first campaign as Great Britain (I just had to see if it was really that unfair) and I noticed a few things:

• For some reason the pre-assassination and pre-sabotage event graphics don't work. I don't know why, because they are included in the .pack file and all the other event graphics do work.
    • There are a few event graphics I hadn't retextured, because I hadn't seen them in-game yet. Turns out they ARE in-game if you play as Great Britain..
    • If you check out the research panel and right click one of the technologies, it doesn't resize the original graphics, but rather picks a chunk out of the middle, making some of the technology graphics look a bit odd.

I haven't fought any duels yet, so I don't know if that graphic works and there are a few others that I haven't tried out either. All in all, I have to say that modding this game is doing a great job turning my hair prematurely grey..

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Welshman25's Avatar Centenarius

Absolutely awesome! +rep

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

First I read the title and thought it wouldn't be worth my time. Still I read the description and thought it was a minor mod and I didn't want it. Eventually I opened the spoiler with the artwork and a few seconds later I was downloading the mod.

Great work. Although the pictures are obviously not painted by yourself your intuition in finding not only fitting, but somehow also matching (meaning they didn't look too different, like a realistic oil painting hanging side by side with a picasso ^^) illustrations is very good. +REP

BUT...I have two questions:

1.) All these events do happen in the unmodded game? I never saw a fire, or a mutiny. Or does the mod also add some new events? Then again the only "campaign" i played so far was the RtI-campaign chapter 3 (the guided campaign with only America as theatre).

2.) Is this mod language-neutral? I mean does it only replace the pictures and wont change anything with the descriptions of the events? I play the german version of the game and like to keep it in this language.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.
    Last edited by GODzilla; August 27, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Very nice.

You missed a few Indian onces, though.

Do all these messages actually pop up in-game? I haven't seen a "largest army" and suchlike, mabye becaues I don't have the largest army

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

@GrinningManiac: We both asked the same question and were too lazy to spot it's already been answered in post #16.

But the "greates army" message is definitely ingame. Only the really interesting ones (like natural disasters) are currently disabled. Too bad.
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast