Thread: Guess where?

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Default Re: Guess where?

Is this Caradhras?

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Is that the mount Everest base camp?

That is it indeed! A dangerous trip ahead for anyone who decides to venture forth. Your turn!

Where this is, this place is hideous! How dare you make us all see such ugly locations, you dastardly mouse!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I wish I could tell you whose fault it was, but that would be too much of a hint.

South Korea has a purple village on Banwol Island, but I cannot get a good match there.

It's not in South Korea

What can you guys tell of this? The hills and the vegetation take me to the Caribbean, but this could be in United States as well. The flowers and vegetation could be a hint to someone more botanically oriented. The rooftop shower is a Spanish oddity, but otherwise this does not look Spanish. There is nothing pointing to an Asian location, either.

You are correct in thinking it's in the Caribbean

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Pff, I think figuring out this is the Caribbean is already something. I've a few other observations to add, but I'm not 100% confident about them for various reasons.

There may be a significance to the colour purple itself. If so, I haven't found it. E.g. The artist formerly known as Prince is associated with the colour purple and had a Caribbean residence, but this isn't it. It does not look lavish enough to be the residence of a celebrity anyway.

In fact, it is questionable if it is a residence at all. It looks more like a collection of small apartments. Given there's similarly coloured buildings on the other side of the road, it's even conceivable it's a motel, or resort. Again not a very opulent one if so.

Finally, the picture suggests it's a place where people drive on the right hand side of the road. That would eliminate a lot of Caribbean countries, but still leave plenty. And how can we be sure the pic hasn't been mirrored anyway?

That's all I got and it's not enough to locate the site.
    Last edited by Muizer; March 19, 2023 at 06:46 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Great analysis. I gave it one more spin but you are right. There is not enough to go on.

The image is not mirrored, I took it from google street view.
    I'll narrow it down a bit more then, this is part of a European country. That should help

British Virgin Islands seem to have a lot of purple buildings for some reason, but I cannot locate that one there.

Not the Virgin Isles

Paula's Country Inn on Saint Martin.

Seems pretty random, or not?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Paula's Country Inn on Saint Martin.
    I bet Dan stayed there himself and wanted to share something of his travels. How did you manage to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I bet Dan stayed there himself and wanted to share something of his travels. How did you manage to find it?
    A cross section of European overseas territories in the Caribbean with right hand traffic reduces the number of candidates. Still had to search each for a purple building. Think I saw it on Booking or a site like that.

You are indeed correct! This beautiful purple building is the fault of the Dutch.
    I've never been to the place, I wanted a location on Sint Maarten because I think it's kind of the forgotten Dutch colony in the Caribbean, but street view there is very lacking and I couldn't find anything interesting until I just saw this big bunch of purple and figured, huh, that's hideous and unique enough.
    Very well done finding it!