Default Re: Guess where?

That is correct.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Next one

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Tawhai Falls aka Gollum's Pond in New Zealand?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Indeed!

Rock in the pool
    So nice and cool
    So juicy sweet!
    Now we wish
    to catch a fish
    So juicy sweet!

Patrician Artifex

FWIW I did not know it had anything to do with LOTR before I found it. If the Northern Hemisphere has those umbrella like trees seen above the waterfall I'm not familiar with it, but I've seen them in pics from Aus and NZ. It makes sense that it's NZ, because it is temperate and maritime. Fact that it's famous from LOTR does mean it actually pops up if you add otherwise quite unspecific terms like "waterfall" "pond" and "blue".

Next one I think is quite difficult, but we'll see how you fare.

Last edited by Muizer; January 11, 2023 at 05:56 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I haven't had time to get into this yet, but I intend to. Looks very interesting. Just posting as a confirmation that I am playing and at least I won't be needing hints yet. Others may request them if they have exhausted their measures.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

It looks like it might be in sub-saharan africa, but so far haven't found it

Patrician Artifex

I don't think it's a massive spoiler when I say that is correct.

Can't quite tell what those are even supposed to be. Some kind of bunker? a vehicle of sorts? In Tanzania maybe?

Patrician Artifex

It's not Tanzania, but you're not far off.

Identifying what these contraptions are will reveal an aspect of the location that is not otherwise visible in the picture.

I've been trying to locate outdoor war museums or war memorials, but that hasn't worked. I cannot really identify the contraptions, but to me they look like cannons. Now that think of it, they may be naval cannons.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I've been trying to locate outdoor war museums or war memorials, but that hasn't worked.

It's neither. Knowing what they are, I think they've just been left there.

I cannot really identify the contraptions, but to me they look like cannons.
    Evidently cannons.

Now that think of it, they may be naval cannons.
    Not sure how to respond to that. I mean, it's wrong ... and yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Evidently cannons.
    They seem kind of naked.

I'd expect something more like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    But Kalemie (formerly Abertville) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is probably the answer, judging by this:

Originally, I thought the cannons were from Fort de Shinkakasa, which would be my second guess if I'm wrong, because I think the guns themselves are identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Patrician Artifex

It is indeed Kalemie, on the western bank of Lake Tanganyika. A base of allied naval operations in WWI.

Alright, there are four semi-well-known landmarks in this one, but it's framed and cropped in a way that makes it not so easy:

You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

I have tried now quite a bit cannot find it. As a hint to others, if you look at the larger original image (open to new window and press download original picture), you can see curious markings on the white column.

I have tried now quite a bit cannot find it. As a hint to others, if you look at the larger original image (open to new window and press download original picture), you can see curious markings on the white column.
    The curious markings are an inscription in English on one side and Hebrew on the other. The content of the inscription is identical in both languages, except that the Hebrew version uses the Jewish calendar while the English version uses the Gregorian calendar.

The column and the ruins it stands upon are for the most part unrelated to each other. They are two of the four semi-well-known landmarks that are at least partially visible in the picture.

It's in Tel-Aviv, on the Israel national trail, next to reading park.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    It's in Tel-Aviv, on the Israel national trail, next to reading park.
    Yeah, that’s right.

The four landmarks at least partially visible in the pic are:

1. The mouth of the Yarkon River where it drains into the Mediterranean
    2. The Reading Lighthouse
    3. Tel Qudadi
    4. The Yarkon Crossing Memorial

Tel Qudadi was a Neo-Assyrian fortress. Most of it was destroyed when the Reading Power Station was built just to the north of the picture, but prior to that, a salvage excavation was carried out.

The column for the memorial is actually ancient, but it was taken from Apollonia-Arsuf, and engraved exactly as follows:

ON THE NIGHT
    20th-21st DEC 1917
    THE 157th BRIGADE
    52nd (LOWLAND)
    CROSSED THIS
    FORD & CAPTURED
    THE TURKISH
    POSITIONS
    COMMANDING IT

The Hebrew inscription on the other side is the same, except it starts with “On the night of 7 Tevet 5768”

I took that pic with my phone during the height of COVID boredom, but I cropped most of the Reading Lighthouse out before I posted it.

Here’s the uncropped pic and a nicer pic for context:

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_Q...y_ovedc_02.jpg
    Last edited by sumskilz; January 21, 2023 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Fixed the spelling of Apollonia