Thread: Guess where?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Guess where?

Colours don't mean anything AFAIK. On another pic, they were all painted blue.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I have no idea myself, but just as a tip for others with more of a clue, I think there is something interesting going on in the background on the right. Looks like maybe a castle ruin or something. Can't really tell behind the foliage, but that might be a way to search for the place (castle ruin near urban soccer pitch, or something like that).
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Artifex

It is a football pitch in front of some apartment blocks. There's indeed not much to look at. Question is, if there's nothing distinctive there, why would I think you could still find the answer?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    It is a football pitch in front of some apartment blocks. There's indeed not much to look at. Question is, if there's nothing distinctive there, why would I think you could still find the answer?
    Because it is somehow connected to recent events. It could be the childhood football pitch of some star player. Such as Messi.

I think he used to practice around 299 Juan María Gutiérrez, Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; December 21, 2022 at 06:07 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Because it is somehow connected to recent events. It could be the childhood football pitch of some star player. Such as Messi.

I think he used to practice around 299 Juan María Gutiérrez, Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina.
    Correct! As far as I can tell, this is the pitch of the first football club he joined aged 5 or even 4.
    Last edited by Muizer; December 22, 2022 at 06:50 AM.

Here's the next one. Same place, two different directions.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Patrician Artifex

Plenty of clues, but can't seem to put them together convincingly.

I think it's a river delta / wetland landscape prone to flooding. Trees seem almost exclusively deciduous. Must be autumn. Suggests the temperate zone. There's a large body of water in one direction (maybe lakes in the other?). Going out on a limb, it looks like the tides must be quite limited, so could be an inland sea rather than an ocean. There's a city there, but apart from the (recreational?) dwellings and jetties on the near side of the river nothing that can be made out with sufficient certainty.

Wild guess. Somewhere along the Black Sea?

Plenty of clues, but can't seem to put them together convincingly.

I think it's a river delta / wetland landscape prone to flooding. Trees seem almost exclusively deciduous. Must be autumn. Suggests the temperate zone. There's a large body of water in one direction (maybe lakes in the other?). Going out on a limb, it looks like the tides must be quite limited, so could be an inland sea rather than an ocean. There's a city there, but apart from the (recreational?) dwellings and jetties on the near side of the river nothing that can be made out with sufficient certainty.

Wild guess. Somewhere along the Black Sea?

This is indeed around the Black Sea and a place that has been in the news recently. Sorry for the absence, all. I have had limited access to a computer during my vacation.

Patrician Artifex

Cherson. Was looking for something closer to the coast, but one view fits the one towards the Antonovskiy bridge.

Cherson. Was looking for something closer to the coast, but one view fits the one towards the Antonovskiy bridge.
    Yes, impressive work. What the images do not perhaps adequately show is that there is curiously a lot of city on one side of the river and almost nothing on the other. I do not know why that is, but it seems very unusual to me.

Patrician Artifex

Yes, impressive work. What the images do not perhaps adequately show is that there is curiously a lot of city on one side of the river and almost nothing on the other. I do not know why that is, but it seems very unusual to me.
    I think the reason for that is that you're looking at the city on the edge of a delta. The delta itself is lower ground and has at least been prone to flooding in the course of centuries if not millennia. If you look closely you can see that several of the river branches of the delta do have some inhabitation right on the river banks. That's because whenever rivers flood, the coarsest sediment is deposited nearest the river. When the land dries up again, the clay and silt dry and compact, but the sand does not, which eventually raises the ground along river banks above its surroundings. Not by much, but enough to keep dry feet most of the time and strong enough to build on.

Next
    Last edited by Muizer; January 04, 2023 at 08:20 AM.

Patrician Artifex

The colouring may be deceptive in the previous pic. Here's another one

I have tried this on a couple of occasions, but cannot seem to find it.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

I've been looking at crators for so long now I'm at the point where I half believe you're trolling us and it's on Mars or something

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    I've been looking at crators for so long now I'm at the point where I half believe you're trolling us and it's on Mars or something
    It's on earth.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

It's the Emi Koussi caldera. The Emi Koussi is apparently the highest mountain in the Sahara desert.

Patrician Artifex

Loli has it!

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    "Haha! -Sept"

Seriously, I double checked the presence of vegetation to rule out an extraterrestrial location after crater after crater after crater.

Patrician Artifex

"Volcano in the desert" can be deduced from the pic. As it is the most prominent volcano in the most prominent desert, I thought it was sufficiently guessable.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Apologies for the delay.

"Haha! -Sept"

Seriously, I double checked the presence of vegetation to rule out an extraterrestrial location after crater after crater after crater.
    It's quite clearly a shield volcano caldera Sept. I didn't quite guess desert myself either, volcanos can be quite desolate places even if they aren't in a desert.