Page 51 of 536 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 10702

Thread: Guess where?

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Default Re: Guess where?

Quote Originally Posted by skag View Post
    Alert, canada
    Yes, Canadian Forces Station Alert. The most northerly permanent settlement in the world. Located on the tip of Ellesmere Island. Rep

thanks

here's next picture, it should not be too hard

we'll see if hints needed

♔Goodguy1066♔'s Avatar Praeses

Somewhere in Jordan maybe? Aqaba? Tell me if I'm close, at least.
    A member of the Most Ancient, Puissant and Honourable Society of Silly Old Duffers
    Secret Sig Content Box!

Both male and female walruses have tusks and have been observed using these overgrown teeth to help pull themselves out of the water.

The mustached and long-tusked walrus is most often found near the Arctic Circle, lying on the ice with hundreds of companions. These marine mammals are extremely sociable, prone to loudly bellowing and snorting at one another, but are aggressive during mating season. With wrinkled brown and pink hides, walruses are distinguished by their long white tusks, grizzly whiskers, flat flipper, and bodies full of blubber.
    Walruses use their iconic long tusks for a variety of reasons, each of which makes their lives in the Arctic a bit easier. They use them to haul their enormous bodies out of frigid waters, thus their "tooth-walking" label, and to break breathing holes into ice from below. Their tusks, which are found on both males and females, can extend to about three feet (one meter), and are, in fact, large canine teeth, which grow throughout their lives. Male walruses, or bulls, also employ their tusks aggressively to maintain territory and, during mating season, to protect their harems of females, or cows.
    The walrus' other characteristic features are equally useful. As their favorite meals, particularly shellfish, are found near the dark ocean floor, walruses use their extremely sensitive whiskers, called mustacial vibrissae, as detection devices. Their blubbery bodies allow them to live comfortably in the Arctic region—walruses are capable of slowing their heartbeats in order to withstand the polar temperatures of the surrounding waters.
    The two subspecies of walrus are divided geographically. Atlantic walruses inhabit coastal areas from northeastern Canada to Greenland, while Pacific walruses inhabit the northern seas off Russia and Alaska, migrating seasonally from their southern range in the Bering Sea—where they are found on the pack ice in winter—to the Chukchi Sea. Female Pacific walruses give birth to calves during the spring migration north.
    Only Native Americans are currently allowed to hunt walruses, as the species' survival was threatened by past overhunting. Their tusks, oil, skin, and meat were so sought after in the 18th and 19th centuries that the walrus was hunted to extinction in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and around Sable Island, off the coast of Nova Scotia.

no you are not close

ok here are 2 big hints :
    1st : it's a administrative city (but not a country capital)
    => you should ask then to yourself the reasons why/where building an administrative city
    2nd : do not pay attention to the trees in the city

these are 2 very very big hints !!!

I have 2 other big BIG hints, but you can find out these 2 hints by yourself in the pic, but I'll wait a little bit before giving them.
    I gave you a pic where a lot of infos are "hidden" into it, not like most of the pics of this thread where you just see buildings, so pay attention to it, and don't just take care of the mosquee ....
    Last edited by skag; November 21, 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Juli26's Avatar Vicarius

Total guess: Casablanca?
    Foreign Languages

rusina's Avatar Domesticus

Santa Cruz de Tenerife?

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Erevan ?

Aden?
    Peace and prosperity to you noble sadiq

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Fort William, Scotland. A must see when you visit highlands close to Inverness
    Last edited by DAVIDE; November 21, 2009 at 05:23 PM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Meh, Fort William is nothing special. Ben Nevis is big, but it is not exactly aesthetically pleasing compared to Loch Monar or Ben Lomond. And besides, Fort William is officially the dullest place on earth. Seriously, it gets less sunshine per year than anywhere else due to cloud cover.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Marrakech.

no no no no all no

seems you don't pay attention to my hints, and the pic

ok, when I said : do not pay attention to the trees you see in the city, that maybe means there should not be trees ...
    look at the mountain ... maybe it's in the desert ???
    casablanca is near the coast, the mountains near marrakesh are green. And no, it's not aden

Are there french cars in aden ??? i don't believe so

too many hints ... the pics says everything by herself, you don't deserve others

except this one : it's a smaller city than the ones you mentioned, you'll for sure do not know it, so you'll maybe need a world map

Change's Avatar Semisalis

French guyana ..?

French cars?

Algiers

lol

french guyana is the opposite of a desert
    alger is a capital, and is not in desert

you'll never find if you don't take care of the hints

seems you need even more help anyway, sorry if it's too hard, but for me french cars + desert was obvious :
    it's in the maghreb

if you want to know more precisely which ones of the maghrebian countries it is :
    look at the guy on the right of the pic, his skin color is not specially brown ... which excludes anyway ex-frenchies colonies which are in middle east, and almost exludes 2 of the 3 maghrebian countries
    + desert
    + administrative city

added hints : capital of a province which has his same name, this province was (and still is, but in a minor way) considered as the gate and commercial road to the subsaharian africa, specially tombouctou

If you still have too many difficulties, i'll give you the name of the region ... but then it will be too easy
    Last edited by skag; November 22, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Tamanrasset?

By the way, the picture is of bad quality, so one cannot tell if the cars are french or the colour of the skin
    Peace and prosperity to you noble sadiq

Purslow's Avatar Ducenarius

Is it errachidia, Morroco?

Thanks to Master Necromancer

correct, it's Errachidia
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by burningsoul View Post
    Tamanrasset?

By the way, the picture is of bad quality, so one cannot tell if the cars are french or the colour of the skin
    oh come on man, I'm not french and I know these are renault & peugeot, the first one is a renault 4L
    the second one is a renault 5, and the third one is a peugeot. even if you don't know the models, these are the classiest old french cars

and the guy on the right is definetly black
    Last edited by skag; November 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM.

/facepalm
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Errawhat?