Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

This looks a lot like the observation tower in Haslev, Denmark, that a friend of mine recently visited.

Treetop Walk Alsace.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

That's correct! It's the same philosophy with the first facility you mentioned and was actually built by a German company.

So that's why they looked so similar...

Well, on to the next one!

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I think the script is chinese and while it could be japanese Kanji, I don't see any Katakana or Hiragana, so I'm boldly ruling out Japan. As such it could be somewhere in China/Taiwan or Singapore or a Chinese community in Malaysia. I would expect at least some English "subtitles" in Singapore due to its internationality, and Malay or other languages mixed in in Malaysia, so I'm guessing it is actually in China or Taiwan. I haven't gotten any further than that, though.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Given the leafless trees and winter coats I'd say Taiwan is highly unlikely as well.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Going out on a limb here. Xi'an China ?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Going out on a limb here. Xi'an China ?
    Yes! You are very lucky with that ad lib.

It is indeed Xian. To be more specific, the picture actually shows the Muslim District in the City (The Hui minority are a rather vibrant presence there and the picture shows their district, Hui cuisine is simply exquisite ).

Can someone please give rep to Muizer for me?
    - Sun Tzu

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Yes! You are very lucky with that ad lib.

It is indeed Xian. To be more specific, the picture actually shows the Muslim District in the City (The Hui minority are a rather vibrant presence there and the picture shows their district, Hui cuisine is simply exquisite ).

Heh, yes I couldn't find the exact pic, but Xian seems most famous for its muslim quarter, so I went with that. Great puzzle pic btw.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Hmm, there is slate, it is probably reddish (who knows? Best wishes from deuteranopia.), so maybe it is Red Slate Mountain, CA.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Those pointy features of the mountain kind of look like Andes too. Like Pachamama.

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Muizer repped!

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Hmm, there is slate, it is probably reddish (who knows? Best wishes from deuteranopia.)
    Getting the lithology right is relevant. It's not slate though. Not Sierra Nevada either.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Those pointy features of the mountain kind of look like Andes too. Like Pachamama.
    Not the Andes. Iskar was closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Muizer repped!
    Tnx!

Walcott Quarry, the most famous quarry of the Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale according to Wikipedia, with Wapta Mountain in the background.

Lost in translation...

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Walcott Quarry, the most famous quarry of the Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale according to Wikipedia, with Wapta Mountain in the background.
    Is correct

Got quite lucky with my "Rocky Mountains shale" search there.

Patrician Artifex

Pfff, that's going to be tough. Thermopylae?

Nope, although like Thermopylae it's a place that has seen great changes in the environment.

Top-down view to help you.