Thread: Guess where?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Guess where?

Abbey Maulbronn, Germany?

It has some gothic architectural style (high rips).
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

It is a (former) abbey, but not Maulbronn. The style is indeed high gothic, though. Something about the church (or rather something that is missing) may point you to the order that built it to further narrow down the search.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I would tip on Franciscan Order, because one simple tower on the monastry church. But i'm no expert in this. ^^

And quick search lead to nothing, as it could be everywhere north of the alps.

But i guess Muizer as expert for architecture will know it.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; November 01, 2021 at 08:24 AM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

It's the Altenberger Dom, east of Leverkusen. Formerly part of a Cistercian monastery.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Moderator Emeritus

Indeed. Like many Cistercian abbeys it lacks large towers and only features a small bell-towerlet atop the crossing. Cistercians considered large church towers a symbol of clerical hubris and (at least initially) had very strict rules what decorations were allowed in their churches.

Alternberg is just a few minutes from where I grew up and a rather beautiful spot.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

The horse bronze looks like celtic inspired and the location South France, but no clue what this dying warrior represents.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    The horse bronze looks like celtic inspired
    Whether or not that is the case, it won't lead you to the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    and the location South France, but no clue what this dying warrior represents.
    Not South France, but very close to it. And it's indeed a dying warrior and his horse.

Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, I've searched for diverse combinations of dying warriors and horses/guerriers mourants and chevaux, but found nothing so far. Maybe narrowing down the region is key here. I'd say Burgundy is likely, as other regions bordering southern France are either too barren (Massif Central), mountainous (Savoie) or flat (the western part up to Orleans, if I recall correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Hmm, I've searched for diverse combinations of dying warriors and horses/guerriers mourants and chevaux, but found nothing so far. Maybe narrowing down the region is key here. I'd say Burgundy is likely, as other regions bordering southern France are either too barren (Massif Central), mountainous (Savoie) or flat (the western part up to Orleans, if I recall correctly).
    It's none of the regions you mentioned

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Roncesvalles, the dying guy being Roland from the well-known Song of Roland.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; November 02, 2021 at 12:43 PM.

I came here to say that I give up, only to notice I could have stopped 20 minutes ago .

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Roncesvalles, the dying guy being Roland from the well-known Song of Roland.
    That is of course correct.

Ambiorix' statue in Tongres. Thought of Arminius and Vercingetorix at first, but the architecture looked a tad Flemish and you tend to post screenshots from Belgium or the Netherlands.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Nevermind
    Last edited by Flinn; November 04, 2021 at 09:32 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

It is indeed the statue of Ambiorix in Tongeren. Vercingetorix wasn't a bad thought, the guy who made this one sold what was basically a copy of it to Saint Denis as a statue of Vercingetorix.

Sorry, I forgot about it.

Next one is Halloween-themed:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Treetop Walk Saarschleife.

This is honestly a weird one
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

You are very close, geographically and thematically, but that's not the correct answer. Look around (although not necessarily in Germany) and you'll find it.