Thanks.

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Guess where?

OK a hint:

The building is on a hill over a big river in a city with some towers from medieval times.

A really interesting building and I have never seen anything of the like. To me it looks like a watchtower converted or expanded into a church. The architecture and what little we can see of the ladscape brings to mind Scotland or Northern England.

Then again, it is weird that the tower incorporates a church window just like the supposed extension, and another one that looks as if it was filled up. Mysterious indeed.

I am not asking for Morty's confirmation on my suspicions or a hint yet. Let us see what the regular architecture experts of the competition say first. Intriguing and possibly great for cooperative sleuth work.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

The church is definitely Gothic. The tower is unusually stout and the lower part looks like it may be from the same time as the nave (the plastering may be a later addition), but the crenels at the top (and the weird octagonal thing) look more like a 14th or 15th century addition. Since Morty knows the Rhine, the 'big' river mentioned is probably something in the league of Rhine, Rhone, Elbe, or Danube. The style of the church is not French, though, so that rules out the Rhone, I think. Cities with medieval towers are more prevalent in southern Germany, so maybe we are looking for a small Gothic church with an unusual "Wehrturm" above a city on the Rhine or Danube.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

brings to mind Scotland or Northern England.
    Thats was my first impression too and thats why i chosed that pic, but Iskar is on the right track.

Another tip: its at the Rhine.

With Iskar's research and Morty's hint, I gave it another round of finding out. Didn't find out anything yet, but I'll give it a third one later when I am not so exhausted by multiple days of overwork.

Found it, it's St. Martin in Oberwesel. I actually went through there by train last weekend, but must have looked the other way. Turns out the weird tower was part of the city walls before being incorporated into the church and the top part is in fact a 15th century addition.
    Last edited by Iskar; August 27, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I repped Iskar for you, Morty, so I that could rep Kilo in the catchphrase comp.

Thank you. Its indeed St.Martin in Oberwesel. Its also called the White Church. Oberwesel has some beautiful old buildings. Like the red church.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberwesel
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; August 27, 2021 at 11:12 AM.

This one wasn't easy. I only found it after restricting myself to the Mittelrheintal, as you had said the church was above a town, so the valley had to be steep, which is not the case south of Mainz or north of Cologne.

Here's the next one:

Park Güell, Barcelona? I had visited it exactly ten years ago...

Parc Guëll in Barcelona. Sorry to take away the joy from everyone else. I saw quite a few churches made out of actual gingerbread looking for what this is .
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; August 27, 2021 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Damn, Abdi was quicker. But really nice to see you participating! Please come around more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    It's almost exactly 15 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Damn, Abdi was quicker. But really nice to see you participating! Please come around more often.
    Repped you both, 'cause getting ninja's by Abdül is no shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    This one wasn't easy. I only found it after restricting myself to the Mittelrheintal, as you had said the church was above a town, so the valley had to be steep, which is not the case south of Mainz or north of Cologne.

I confess, this time i was a bit mean, as i chosed this picture, but the church is really special.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    I confess, this time i was a bit mean, as i chosed this picture, but the church is really special.
    It was hard but also special. I spent quite a lot of time on it without any luck, and I kind of thought that someone with more understanding of this area might find it. The good thing is that these are never frustrating because of all you see and learn.

Let's see what Abdi presents us with for a substitute to housework and maintaining healthy relations with friends and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Oh, I do, but the problem is that I rarely have any idea about the locations!

Next we have two panoramic screenshots. Looking eastwards:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and westwards:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So, a star fort or a town with star-fort-ish fortifications. The flag on the belfry shows a black eagle on gold, I think, which is probably a municipal or regional coat of arms (the only European state with that device is Germany and we don't use it on flags without the tricolore background.)
    Given the style of the gothic churches, I'd say this is France or Benelux, and with the fortification likely a town on the Maginot line.

A black eagle on gold is also the Mount Athos flag, or the Flag of the Greek orthodox church. That could be a church associated with the Greek diaspora. I find it unlikely that a church would fly municipal colors. Or do they?