Thread: Guess where?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Guess where?

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Hmm, what are these? Anti-tank obstacles from WW2?

The flat landscape and the wind turbine point to northern Germany or Benelux, while the motorway signs look German (they're blue/white everywhere in EU, but I have only ever seen the white inlay pointing to business parks in Germany).

EDIT: The image has a crazy high resolution, which even allows reading off the placenames. This motorway goes to, I think, Antwerpen and maybe Eindhoven(?). So we're looking for a place in the eastern Netherlands/western Germany, most likely, along a motorway leading to Antwerp. Since the photo looks like it was taken personally on a walk rather than a random photo from the internet, I'm going to guess it is somewhere along the German A4/Dutch A76 (E314) in the vicinity of Heerlen, Limburg.

EDIT EDIT: Indeed it is, it's the Panzersperre Bocholtz, just across the Dutch-German border and less than an hour by bike from Heerlen.
    It is indeed the Panzersperre Bocholtz, one of the few places in the region where the Westwall or Siegfried Line is still visible. This picture was taken by me while hiking a part of the Dutch Mountain Trail, a 100km long route with a misleading name given that the only mountain in the Netherlands is in the Caribbean and about a fifth of the route goes through Germany and Belgium. Nonetheless it is a very nice and varied route through the hills of southern Limburg and adjacent areas.

I'm pretty sure the motorway sign says Heerlen btw, if it were Eindhoven the name would have to be about as long as Antwerpen.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Dwarven hikers are a well-known sight in that part of Germany and generally well-received
    Really? I look down on them
    Last edited by Cookiegod; June 12, 2021 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    I'm pretty sure the motorway sign says Heerlen btw, if it were Eindhoven the name would have to be about as long as Antwerpen.
    Ah yes, that makes more sense.

"Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Baltrum on the island of the same name in the Wadden Sea.

That's right. Baltrum is the smallest of the (inhabited) East-Frisian Islands. The massive coastal protection works seen in the picture keep the islands from travelling eastward.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Travelling eastwards should indeed be stopped at all costs.

New one:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Travelling eastwards should indeed be stopped at all costs.
    ...especially at all coasts.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

The big windows looks typical netherlandian... But no clue, what the small hills are...
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 15, 2021 at 08:42 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

I think I have seen all the church towers in Limburg and a good many from Netherlands, but cannot match to that. I cannot think of any other clue in the picture.

The number plates are yellow, so it's either Netherlands or Letzebuerg, but the church looks Protestant and Luxembourg is mostly Catholic, so I think it's in the Netherlands. If these weird tumuli/little hills aren't artificial it would have to be somewhere in Limburg and if they are artificial and elsewhere one should be able to find something about them. But I haven't gotten farther myself either.

EDIT: The Tumuli could be the inner side of overgrown ramparts of a star fort or similar fortification, with the old looking entrance leading to the casemates. It is neither Naarden nor Bourtange, though.
    Last edited by Iskar; June 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM.

The problem is that the connected pinnacles around the spire of the church are very distinctive, but I cannot match them to anything I found in Limburg.

If the hilly things are actually ramparts it doesn't have to be Limburg. Other parts of the Netherlands don't have hills, but they have forts.

Well, it isn't in the Netherlands so you're going nowhere there. I'd suggest listening to Iskar, he says some bright things from time to time (although he is somewhat mistaken on the license plate).

The spires seem like a match for the area of Letzebuerg, and so do the window-like things* in the tower. But I have not found one with double ones nor one with round-headed pinnacles.

*Feel free to admire my expert architectural terminology. Jokes aside, this competition has aroused in me an interest towards architecture that I never had before.

Hmm, old french licence plates were yellow, too.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Denmark also uses yellow numberplates, but only on commercial vehicles. I.e. if that car we see was owned by a handyman, it could explain it. Yet I don't think it's Denmark.
    France is probably the right answer. The French have their yellow plates on the back and the front one is white. One of the roofs has a very french feel to me anyway, though the rest sends me mixed signals. And given that some buildings appear to be brick houses, Scandinavia might be right after all, even though it doesn't look that Scandinavian.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

The place gives its name to a rather well-known battle.

Is a third hint needed or do you guys admit defeat?

Rocroi is on page one of the results if you search for star fort and France.
    I didn't feel like playing pingpong, so I hoped someone else would reply.

Rocroi is of course correct. The place where the Duke of Enghien, later known as the Great Condé, defeated the Spanish tercio.