Thread: Guess where?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Guess where?

There is a particular art/interior design style that integrates all these you mentioned, loli, and it is not a hotel. (Different rooms were designed by different designers of the same general style, though.)
    Last edited by Iskar; May 09, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I've tried to find the answer first under the impression that it was a hotel and then thinking it was a palace. Perhaps a hint is in order by now.

It was never a hotel, but "palace" is even part of its name. It was once the home of a king before it was refurbished in the 1930s with the interior I've shown by these two (three?):

The time should also help to find the name of the art style for which its interior is so well known.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Oh, this must be the Eltham Palace in London. Did not scum using any reverse image search, but I must admit that I was not aware of this place until I did some additional research.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

is that a god damned lemur?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

I think it is. And that is exactly the kind of content that puts people off and prevents them from enjoying these kinds of competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Oh, this must be the Eltham Palace in London. Did not scum using any reverse image search, but I must admit that I was not aware of this place until I did some additional research.
    Right you are

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    is that a god damned lemur?
    Indeed it is, Mah-Jongg, the Lemur, seen here sitting in his personal deck chair:

The former owners of the palace did not have children and were completely crazy about their pet lemur. They even built a special cage-room and small tunnels into the walls so the lemur could run around the house in his own network of rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I think it is. And that is exactly the kind of content that puts people off and prevents them from enjoying these kinds of competitions.
    Lemurs make everything better:

Just kidding, lemurs are okay and I too like to move it move it. At least in the sense of keeping this fine competition going.

Here is the next one. It may be a bit hard with little to research on, but I'll give you the hint that the place looks unusual for its geographic location.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Penzance, Cornwall. Architecture is very British so that leaves Cornwall or perhaps the Channel Islands. My first guess was Jersey as it's been in the news recently but St. Helier was a bit light on the subtropical plants so I checked Cornwall.

Absolutely amazing, loli. That is some hardcore deduction and sleuth work. Yes, the warm microclimate in the southwestern end of Cornwall makes it special and the only place in UK with native palm trees.

I am glad to pass it over to you.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

The big windows are typical for Netherlands/Belgium, but i don't know, what architectural style this church resembles.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

The stout square tower would be something I'd associate with dutch/flemish churches, as well. The style itself is gothic, but likely redesigned to fit the more solemn style of protestants (notice the windows of the church have been downsized at a later point in time).

EDIT: It's the town of Veere in Walcheren with the prominent Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk. It was the iconic other tower that made me recognise it in a collection of dutch harbours with churches, though.
    Last edited by Iskar; May 13, 2021 at 03:55 PM.

It is indeed Veere, over to Iskar.

This took some effort to locate, but is an interesting location. Minerve in Occitania, a place with fascinating history with Catharism.

And excellent wines around.

Your turn

PS: could someone rep Sept for me?

Rep has been given.

Is there any records keeping (a leaderboard) being taken care of for this competition?