Thread: Guess where?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Default Re: Guess where?

Allright, given it a couple of days, but as there's no answers:

Kolossi Castle Cyprus.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

It is indeed
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Texas.

Well, it's in Texas. Looking for the name of the village though.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Is it such a famous village that I am supposed to know it's name?
    Is it a landmark or something?

It is hard to say anything without giving it away, which I would rather not, considering there are enough clues in the pic to at least have a good guess, even if a search won't return this particular view. I wouldn't expect non-americans to know of it, unless perhaps form a certain comic strip (which is how I knew of it ).
    Last edited by Muizer; April 18, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

I won't hold the thread up any longer.

The answer was Langtry, Texas. The building in the image is the Roy Bean visitor center.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

This must definitely be a place related to WWI, but I suck at this game, so I cannot do better
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Oh no, it is quite a bit older than that!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's why I suck at this game

then it must be some remains of a fort/town from copper age, maybe?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Gonna guess Dannevirke, even though I'm quite sure it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Date wise it's inbetween.

This site is thought to have been in use until the early 40s of the first century AD.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Maiden Castle?

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Maiden Castle?
    No, but you're very much on the right track.

Allright I'm going to give this to Lol. It is indeed an Iron Age hill fort in England. Not Maiden Castle, though, but Old Oswestry in Shropshire.

Beyond being a hill fort, not much to go on in the pic, but it's a major one so could have been guessed I think. Perhaps not.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Maybe either a) make it less hard (such a little part of the hillfort that it's not even recognisable as one; less than half a building from a Texas village no one has ever heard about before - Imagine me posting a brick and have you guess the random building) or b) give more hints when you see people can't guess it, so they'll have a chance.

In this particular instance, and the last one, there's no reasonable chance anyone can get there without recognizing the specific place. Which means it's no longer "Guess where?" challenge but rather a "Recognise it?".

You can tell by my frustration that I tried on good faith. I like hard challenges, but I'm not going to charge windmills anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Thanks for the feedback. I grant you that absolute positive identification is hard, because you're not likely to find the same or similar viewpoint as in the pictures shown. However, why I assume I'd post something unguessable?

For Langtry one: 6 out of the 10 first search results for 'texas bean town'.
    For Oswestry: 5 out of the first 10 search results for 'hill fort' (which I suspect at least Lol identified)