Thread: Guess where?

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Default Re: Guess where?

Although it's not, this reminds me of La Isla de Margarita off the Venezuelan Coast*. Now how is it that a city in the middle of Europe resembles a city on on a Caribbean Island.....Amazing....

* I honeymooned there a 100 or so years ago.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post
    Now how is it that a city in the middle of Europe resembles a city on on a Caribbean Island.....Amazing....
    Most Eastern European cities (and some parts of Western Europe) look like that outside the old center. Except those who don't have old center (due to wars or having grown out of a village due to 20. century industrialization).
    Has signatures turned off.

@wowbanger: ok, you're correct

@de Bodelmoze: what does this remind you of? Porlamar?
    Last edited by Hunyadi Mátyás; June 02, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

PLEASE RESPECT MY ETHNICITY AND RELIGION! -Hunyadi

wowbanger's Avatar Decanus

Ok then here's the next photo. Not sure how easy it will be, so bear with me. I'll provide hints if necessary.

"Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...." Some words of wisdom from my good friend, Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Ironbridge, Shropshire, U.K. World's first cast iron arched bridge, in the heartland of the iron foundries that powered the industrial revolution. My grandad was from Shropshire so I recognised it straight away, since its about the only famous thing about the Forgotten Shire
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; June 03, 2011 at 04:42 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

wowbanger's Avatar Decanus

That is correct Copperknickers. It is indeed about the only famous thing about Shropshire. And, yes, Shropshire is, unfortunately, largely forgotten, when I said to my mates at school that I was going to uni in Shropshire the invariable response was "Where's that?" to which I had to tell them it was next to Wales.

Incidently its only about 10 minutes away from my new flat and is a fascinating day out for an engineering student with a keen interest in history.
    Last edited by wowbanger; June 03, 2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

"Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...." Some words of wisdom from my good friend, Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

Citizen

This is probably a relatively hard one but let's see:

A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

somewhere in Italy?

Citizen

Gonna have to be more precise than that my friend if you want rep.

it's a starting question, so you might say yes or no

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Troina?

always get that, I'm trying and then someone just comes and just gives an answer

Content Emeritus

I don't think I am right, its just that that bridge looks like the one in the Call of Duty Big Red One Troina mission

or was it another mission

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Huszár View Post

@de Bodelmoze: what does this remind you of? Porlamar?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Whatever the principal city on the Island is.The island is a duty free tourist zone for those unfamiliar with it.
    Notice the vegetation on the hillside,the signing on the building and street, the tourists/city dwellers summer apparel{I was there in May}, the automobiles are similar. The architecture and layout of that section of the town is astonishingly similar* I could swear that there is an outdoor café not 100 feet from where this picture was taken.

Now "here-in lies the rub"....This city is in Hungary and not on a Caribbean Island........

* I guess all our old tourist memories become generic after a lifetime or two... Dollywood and DisneyWorld probably look the sam now days in my mind.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Citizen

Nope not Troina. A hint: the thing on top of the hill is the main distinguishing feature.

no , Eastern European?

Content Emeritus

Eh.. Ill go with Monte Cassino?

Citizen

Noone right so far, although Gunny is very close.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Gunny's close? Hmm if it's not Monte Cassino, how about...Monteriggioni?

Citizen

Getting warmer. TBH it's not very famous outside Italian religious circles.