Thread: Guess where?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Guess where?

"Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Hm, not too much to go on as far as I can see. The foreground looks lush and green, but that may just be due to the vicinity of the stream. Further back the land looks quite arid. Based on the buildings I'm inclined to think somewhere in the Western USA, like Utah or something.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

It's highly unusual that in place with nothing but empty space the houses are built together like that.

It's not in the USA.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Hmm, well there's nothing much else to go on. There seem to be some cascades in the background. Nothing spectacular. I agree with Sept the grouping of the houses is odd. One wonders what the occupation of the inhabitants could be, given there's no sign of any industry or agriculture happening there. A religious commune or a mission post?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

The houses are not permanently occupied and the function of the place is more symbolic and ceremonial than anything else these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    The houses are not permanently occupied and the function of the place is more symbolic and ceremonial than anything else these days.
    I was earlier thinking about Iceland, and "more symbolic and ceremonial [] these days" could well imply Thingvellir in Iceland.

You got it

The houses are the summer residence of the Icrlandic prime minister and the ridge in the background are one side of the rift, where the European and American plates drift apart, making Iceland ever larger.

An interesting location! The next one, too, is a place of general interest or significance.

Edit: the decaying structure is of no interest; just the location.

Last edited by Septentrionalis; August 22, 2021 at 09:10 AM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Amazing work, Loli! I came back here to post a hint already before going to bed because I thought that this one really has too little to work with. Only to find that you have pinpointed the very spot. How did you do it?

This is from Furnace Creek in Death Valley, a location with the highest measured air temperature on Earth so far, 56.7 Celsius. It has become a resort destination with pools, a golf course and lots of greenery that makes it look like an oasis. On to you, buddy.

Death Valley was actually my first thought because of the flat, arid terrain surrounded by mountains, with the Salton Sea as another possibility (no idea whether that actually is surrounded by mountains). So I just checked on Google Maps if there were even settlements and the like in Death Valley and found a place which looked like it might be the location on your pic. And as your pic clearly is from Google Maps it wasn't too hard to identify the actual location itself.

Death Valley was actually my first thought because of the flat, arid terrain surrounded by mountains, with the Salton Sea as another possibility (no idea whether that actually is surrounded by mountains). So I just checked on Google Maps if there were even settlements and the like in Death Valley and found a place which looked like it might be the location on your pic. And as your pic clearly is from Google Maps it wasn't too hard to identify the actual location itself.
    Cool! Thank you for the explanation. I have actually been to Salton Sea, and Desert Shores to be more precise. Back then it looked like quite a dreary place. Only to later find out that it was the inspiration for Sandy Shores in GTA V. I assume you have been somewhere in the general area as well.

Edit: Actually I don't assume as you said you have no idea if it is surrounded by mountains.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; August 22, 2021 at 04:15 PM.

I haven't been outside of Europe.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is a Dutch railway station, that much is certain from the logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    This is a Dutch railway station, that much is certain from the logo.
    Thank you. That information and, quite funnily, the Halal 2 Go place is what did it

Almere railway station in Netherlands is the place, and what an interesting entrance it has.

Almere's railway station is correct. Almere is the youngest of the major Dutch cities, its first house having been built less than 50 years ago in the reclaimed land of the Flevopolder. It has a rather bad reputation in the Netherlands as a soulless and ugly city and basically being a place for people who are too poor to live in Amsterdam. People from Almere cope with this by telling themselves that at least it isn't as soulless and ugly as Lelystad, the province capital of Flevoland.

Almere's railway station is correct. Almere is the youngest of the major Dutch cities, its first house having been built less than 50 years ago in the reclaimed land of the Flevopolder. It has a rather bad reputation in the Netherlands as a soulless and ugly city and basically being a place for people who are too poor to live in Amsterdam. People from Almere cope with this by telling themselves that at least it isn't as soulless and ugly as Lelystad, the province capital of Flevoland.
    Thank you for the color commentary and the more or less local take on matters. I have said it before and will continue to say it. It is much more rewarding than the mere rep to get some information like that after spending time trying to look for a random place
    in this world of ours. I had no idea of a city called Almere, and I am sure that it would not have featured high on the list of things to learn about Netherlands some 30 years ago when young Sept was taking his elementary school European geography lessons.

And now for something completely different.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Uluru/Ayers Rock, Australia?
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; August 24, 2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Uluru/Ayers Rock, Australia?
    I was about to say that I would prefer the local name instead of the name of the presumably white European guy who "discovered" the place thousands of years after the local population, but right in between of me loading the page and replying, you had actually edited your post.

Nevertheless, Uluru it is and it takes me to my favorite hobby of repping Morty. Nice job, and good to see you participating in Guess Where again. The stage is yours!