Thread: Guess where?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Guess where?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

This is a tough one. While I can see a gothic window (which could well have been retrofitted), some other windows as well imply a more Romanesque setting. I'd say 13th century castle with a well preserved Palas. But I can't even begin locating it apart from it hopefully being France or HRR. Did something of note happen there?

EDIT: And just after I wrote it I stumbled upon the castle here when image-googling 13th century castle. It's the Guedelon Castle
    Last edited by Cookiegod; September 15, 2021 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

It is indeed Guedelon in Burgundy, and as such strictly speaking a 20th/21st cenury castle, since it is currently being built as a research project. They hope to find out which of the historically mentioned technologies and techniques actually worked and how.

The style of the castle is specifically Burgundian-German with a Burgfried (largest defensive tower) and separate residential Palas, whereas western European castles tend to have a Donjon/Keep that integrates both functions.

Could someone rep cookie, since I cannot?
    Last edited by Iskar; September 15, 2021 at 05:17 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Citizen

Abdül has repped me (though further reps would be welcome )

Some here have had the gall to call my photographing skills into question. Let me use this opportunity to proudly proclaim:

Nuh uh!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I definitely know that place...
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Ferrara
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Citizen

Si

Blog Entries

What a lovely city Ferrara is, probably the best in Italy (at the least for my tastes, I hate big metropolis)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Somehow, when I see this kind of crenellation, I always think first of Ferrara, even though they are not afaik unique to that city.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Blog Entries

I know this place as well I spent my first year of university in that city!

Sept playing Guess where?: Oh what amazing places this world has. Too bad I never seem to have both time and money for travel.

Flinn playing Guess where?: Oh, that place! What amazing memories that brings to mind...

Blog Entries

Well it's not my fault if you people keep posting pictures from Italy

However, I've traveled a LOT in my life, for over 15 years I've been an export manager, so yes, I've seen many places .. with an average of 30 travels per year.. you can do the math.

Citizen

Forli
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    However, I've traveled a LOT in my life, for over 15 years I've been an export manager, so yes, I've seen many places .. with an average of 30 travels per year.. you can do the math.
    That's, like at least a dozen travels total.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    What about Antarctica or Greenland? I want to experience the terror!

Forli
    Is correct.

Never been there myself, but you can visit it in Assassin's creed II

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Never been there myself, but you can visit it in Assassin's creed II
    That's where I recognised it from. Plus I drove past recently and looked up beforehand if it was worth driving into.

This is from the northwest corner of the old town of Nuremberg. Oh, I am having a warm, nostalgic feeling thinking about all the fond memories of this place that Flinn undoubtedly has.

Blog Entries

I've been in Nuremberg a few times (mostly while driving to and fro Munich and Frankfurt, if I wasn't going via Stuttgart)

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    What about Antarctica or Greenland? I want to experience the terror!
    Never been in either of those places, though I've been north of the Polar Arctic Circle (in summer .. guess where it happened Sept?) There once was a thread here where people could generate their own maps, but the link is now broken

However if you people wonder I've been in all the Continents minus Oceania and Antarctica

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    This is from the northwest corner of the old town of Nuremberg. Oh, I am having a warm, nostalgic feeling thinking about all the fond memories of this place that Flinn undoubtedly has.
    You're correct.
    Except I personally have had a lot of bad memories from when I had to stand trial there :/
    On that note, back to the city at hand. Did you guys know that the castle has 4 towers, and Flinn has seduced a different woman in each of them?

Except I personally have had a lot of bad memories from when I had to stand trial there :/
    I was thinking whether everyone could contain themselves and not make that obvious joke. The answer is no.

On that note, back to the city at hand. Did you guys know that the castle has 4 towers, and Flinn has seduced a different woman in each of them?
    I did not know that, but of course I was expecting something of the like to have transpired.

And now, all you central European architecture buffs and church lovers are going have to suffer another round of stunning remote locations by the sea, a true and tested Sept favorite.

Last edited by Septentrionalis; September 17, 2021 at 10:42 AM.