Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

I assume people are not playing so I am not giving a hint at this point. Unless I err tremendously, this place is quite easily found.

I have been busy, and was not playing, but I'm joining back again now! So maybe I'll have a guess sometime soon. We'll see (I'm not as good at this game).
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

The building is referred to as a church, although that is not necessarily evident from the picture.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I assume people are not playing so I am not giving a hint at this point. Unless I err tremendously, this place is quite easily found.
    It looks like a mishmash to me. Style-wise it looks neoclassical, but it's like parts of a mansion, a church, a memorial and a gun powder store were thrown together.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Another hint. It is on (or in) a lake.

I may have estimated the difficulty of this worse than anything else before. When I posted, I thought this would be way too easy. I know search results vary by country and so, but I can get this on the first page of image search just using two generic search terms.Please let me know if you have searched intensively and cannot find it.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

That's the Rutland Water Normaton church in the UK

Nice work, Gyros! That is it indeed. Your turn.

Hint: This location is an Abbey

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

yeah, I definitely do not know this one.

By far the toughest guessing game out there, if you decide to play fair.

Patrician Artifex

Thanks for the hint Loli, if you're not taking it: Sint-Benedictusberg, Mamelis, Limburg, the Netherlands.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Muizer and Loli have it, any one of you can take the next turn

Patrician Artifex

Patrician Artifex

Apart from observing the obvious, guessing the country should be enough. Hint: it's not actually in Scandinavia.

I would like to find this place the normal way instead of guessing countries, but cannot seem to. This is something I would expect to see in a place like Minnesota.

I tried looking for Stave Churches in places outside Scandinavia, but couldn't find a single hit. Is this even a Stave Church? If so, it is somewhat unconventional, but it seems like that is the most likely type of building it would be.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I tried looking for Stave Churches in places outside Scandinavia, but couldn't find a single hit. Is this even a Stave Church? If so, it is somewhat unconventional, but it seems like that is the most likely type of building it would be.
    'Wooden chapel inspired by Nordic stave church' is probably more accurate. However, it is referred to as a stave church.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I would like to find this place the normal way instead of guessing countries, but cannot seem to. This is something I would expect to see in a place like Minnesota.
    It is possible to find it without guessing the country. The above, in combination with the the style/period can get you there too.