Thread: Guess where?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Guess where?

The Dutch really have the best forts, they have all the best forts.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

It is Brielle, no idea from which side though as I've never been there. The capture of the town by the Watergeuzen (translated as Sea Beggars in English) marked a turning point in the Eighty Years War as it was the first town under rebel control and led to a sort of chain reaction of other towns joining the side of the Dutch rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Bad Kreuznach is a nice city.
    It indeed is based on the little I have seen and heard. They should really consider changing the name. Good Kreuznach describes the place so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    The Dutch really have the best forts, they have all the best forts.
    "All your best fort are belong to us."

Because I feel playful, we are having a special round dedicated to one of our respected members who should come to this thread more often. What is the exact location where this picture was taken?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

60.223916 24.789091

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Good job Muizer! Now you know where to go when visiting Kilo.

I'll add it to my bucket list ....

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I have given this a couple of sessions, but found nothing.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I have a feeling, that this is a miniatur model village.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    I have a feeling, that this is a miniatur model village.
    I suppose you could call it a model village, but it's full size

Somewhere in the UK would be my guess, given the palm trees the southwest would be the most likely region.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Somewhere in the UK would be my guess, given the palm trees the southwest would be the most likely region.
    It's in the UK, but not in England.

This is the piazza of the Italianate Village in Portmeirion in Gwynedd, Wales. What a unusual gem; I am fascinated about your possible connection to this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    This is the piazza of the Italianate Village in Portmeirion in Gwynedd, Wales. What a unusual gem; I am fascinated about your possible connection to this place.
    That is correct. No connection to the place except I visited it hen I was on holiday in Wales a few years ago. It's rather touristy, but one of those "might as well go and see it if you're in the vicinity anyway" locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    No connection to the place except I visited it hen I was on holiday in Wales a few years ago. It's rather touristy, but one of those "might as well go and see it if you're in the vicinity anyway" locations.
    Thank you! That was exactly the kind of connection I was curious about. If you just read about the place or have actually visited.

The next one is probably impossible to find out by our regular investigative means, so, for a change, let's throw around some guesses and I'll comment on them.

Given the lack of land clearance in the background I'd go with New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Given the lack of land clearance in the background I'd go with New Zealand.
    That is exactly the kind of answer I was expecting because I was so surprised at the look of the place given its location. I must say that you are somewhat less than 20,000 kilometers off, quite literally on the other side of the world. And there is absolutely no shame in it. Thanks for guessing!

Any guess will be a pretty wild one, though your hint puts it in Western Europe, east of GB and Spain. Based on the vegetation and the shape of the mountains I'd rule out Scandinavia. Whatever the body of water is, it's free of any significant tidal influences, so best bet would be a lake. Could be a lake in the periphery of the Alps, like Lago d'Iseo?

The smaragd green water colour reminds me on Bodensee.

Very good analysis, Muizer. And you are not that far. However, Morty's observation about the color of the water got her very close.

Koenigssee, Bavaria?