Page 532 of 536 FirstFirst ... 32432482507522523524525526527528529530531532533534535536 LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,640 of 10702

Thread: Guess where?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Default Re: Guess where?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    How does one figure that out?
    Because of the hints "colonial" and "not quite Spanish". Until then I actually thought those 2 mansions/palaces were some sort of fake/replica. In the end I searched for 'Portuguese colonial architecture' and there were some hits for the nearest of the 2. Took some extra time because the first referred to Guinea Bissau :/ It really is mostly obsession driven 'grunt work'. Once I start looking I can't stop :p
    Last edited by Muizer; March 25, 2023 at 07:31 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Horta it is, well done Muizer.

How does one figure that out?
    I mean, there are quite a few clues in that picture.
    • It's a coastal town and the elevation goes up immediately which could mean volcanic island (not necessarily but it's an option).
    • The town itself doesn't look that big yet it has two historic looking churches, a "mismatch" often found in main towns on islands.
    • The churches are to me quite distinctly Iberian colonial.
    • As Muizer noticed the town itself doesn't actually look that old and lacks many distinctive features a historic town in Europe would have which makes the continent itself less likely
    • The entirity looks well-maintained, in most former colonies at least some things generally look a bit more worn down or less developed making them less likely.
    • The vegetation is a mix of temperate and some Mediterranean/subtropical vegetation which fits an island group in the middle of the Gulf Stream.

It's also the legislative capital of the Azores, I didn't just pick some random town. It's not exactly a 1+1=2 but not everything should be in this game IMO.

Jebus. No one has complimented me quite as you just indirectly did. You must have a very high opinion of me, if you hold me to those kinds of intellectual expectations.

I sincerely appreciate the lengthy explanation and now, having read it, I feel I will be better at this.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Can't give much in terms of hints. Just maybe not to count on the flag to give you any useful info.

Now I got it. There is a town in Norway in such a steep valley that they don't get natural sunlight because the mountain sides block it. So they built mirrors on top of the mountains to reflect the light into the valley. That must be the bright spot in the picture. As I now search with that info, the name I get is Rjukan.

Oh, cool! I didn't know they did that there. If I am not mistaken, this is the same town where the Norwegians had a heavy water plant, and the British conducted a daring raid to destroy it with the help of Norwegian partisans. Vemork reactor is what the plant was called, I think.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Now I got it. There is a town in Norway in such a steep valley that they don't get natural sunlight because the mountain sides block it. So they built mirrors on top of the mountains to reflect the light into the valley. That must be the bright spot in the picture. As I now search with that info, the name I get is Rjukan.
    That is correct! I've stayed in Rjukan for a week, but didn't notice too much about it being in the shadow ...... because the fog never lifted until the very last day

You know, I actually think in this pic, you can see that outside the light spot, the square is frost covered ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Oh, cool! I didn't know they did that there. If I am not mistaken, this is the same town where the Norwegians had a heavy water plant, and the British conducted a daring raid to destroy it with the help of Norwegian partisans. Vemork reactor is what the plant was called, I think.
    Visited that place as well.
    Last edited by Muizer; March 28, 2023 at 02:17 PM.

Just a reminder Sept that the floor is yours
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Right, you've all had enough time. It's Sankta Karin church, Visby, Gotland, Sweden.
    Last edited by Muizer; April 01, 2023 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Right, you've all had enough time. It's Sankta Karin church, Visby, Gotland, Sweden.
    Muizer gets it once again! There is no hiding from that gentleman's prying eye.

ty Sept, here's a Sunday Snack for you ... (no that's not a hint, or anything in general AFAIK)

Thank you for the snack! I am starting with this only today, so unless someone else has exhausted his ideas and is in need of a hint, no need to provide one yet on my account.

Observations from the community after some instant messaging. Feel free to use these and engage in cooperative riddle solving if you like!

1. This is hard as hell.
    2. Some feel this goes towards Northern India, others to East Asia, but both with colonial architecture.
    3. In general, the natural setting is in contrast with the architecture.
    4. The palm trees on that little islet look like outliers, as the rest of the trees are non-coniferous but not palm trees.
    5. There is a curious building with a golden roof that Sept, the poor bugger, thought was an enormous red and gold flag :facepalm:
    6. The mountains and the river must be a clue, but exactly how?
    7. The Muizer ones are always so low-res you cannot tell a department store from an elephant.

1. This is hard as hell.
    I thought it might be. Then again, I could find it with 3 keywords that can IMHO be guessed from the image.

2. Some feel this goes towards Northern India, others to East Asia, but both with colonial architecture.
    Well, it's in Asia, that much is correct.

3. In general, the natural setting is in contrast with the architecture.
    4. The palm trees on that little islet look like outliers, as the rest of the trees are non-coniferous but not palm trees..
    It is tropical.

5. There is a curious building with a golden roof that Sept, the poor bugger, thought was an enormous red and gold flag :facepalm:
    What kind of building though? Maybe not clear enough to tell for sure, but worth a guess.

6. The mountains and the river must be a clue, but exactly how?
    What river

7. The Muizer ones are always so low-res you cannot tell a department store from an elephant.
    I always resize to 800x600. Thought the TOS demanded it.

Hint: the golden roofed building is part of a temple complex.

This is weird to me. The buildings look central European to me, but the "temple complex" seems east Asian. Is this in Asia?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    This is weird to me. The buildings look central European to me, but the "temple complex" seems east Asian. Is this in Asia?
    Muizer mentioned that it is in Asia and tropical. Japanese Eclectic architecture comes to mind, but I haven't been able to find it.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Could it be in East Timor?