Thread: Guess where?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Guess where?

No its a model and this "palais" is not in Britain.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

I think this is Monrepos archaelogical research center and museum near Neuwied in Rhineland-Palatinate.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

It is Museum Monrepos.

Monrepos is an archaeological research centre and a museum for the human behavioural evolution located at Schloss Monrepos in Neuwied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monrepos_(archaeology)

But its only the former Princesses Palace, as the Castle Monrepos was bigger and intentionally burnt down 1969.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlos...epos_(Neuwied)
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Here is the next one.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Is that the water front of Malmö? The twisted Calatrava skyscraper is quite distinctive.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Iskar's got it again! It is Malmö in Scania, Sweden.

Moderator Emeritus

It looks very much like a city I'll want to visit some day.

"Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

It's the Bamberger Rathaus obviously. Iirc the bishop owned the land and didn't want the pesky populace to get any ideas, so he didn't give them any land to build their city hall. But he didn't own the river.

With regards to Malmö it has to be said that the Turning Torso is very pretty and impressive, as long as you don't make the noob mistake I did and get up close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Moderator Emeritus

Right you are

Citizen

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

This I think is the Little Venice in Colmar, Alsatia.

I first thought it would be Denmark, but aftera bit of looking around realized the wooden decorations (like Xs) on the walls are more complicated. Then it came to me that it must be in Alsatia, because I remember admiring something like those in Strasbourg.

somewhere in Italy I guess??

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post

I first thought it would be Denmark, but aftera bit of looking around realized the wooden decorations (like Xs) on the walls are more complicated. Then it came to me that it must be in Alsatia, because I remember admiring something like those in Strasbourg.
    I think it's actually not Colmar, but *menacing background drums* anti-Colmar! Here is the actual picture of little Venice, with the platform to the left if you stand with the back to the white-ish house with the elaborate door:
    Spoiler for Real Colmar

In Cookie's picture, however, the platform is to the right. That can only mean he took a picture of Anti-Colmar, made up of anti-matter, which has reversed chirality and therefore interchanged left and right. I don't know how Cookie got to anti-Alsace, but we must prevent all these cute timberframe houses from colliding with their antimatter counterparts and evaporating in a burst of Kougelhoup-flavoured energy.
    Last edited by Iskar; July 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I think it's actually not Colmar, but *menacing background drums* anti-Colmar! Here is the actual picture of little Venice, with the platform to the left if you stand with the back to the white-ish house with the elaborate door:
    Spoiler for Real Colmar

In Cookie's picture, however, the platform is to the right. That can only mean he took a picture of Anti-Colmar, made up of anti-matter, which has reversed chirality and therefore interchanged left and right. I don't know how Cookie got to anti-Alsace, but we must prevent all these cute timberframe houses from colliding with their antimatter counterparts and evaporating in a burst of Kougelhoup-flavoured energy.
    You're both correct, except that "Anti-Alsace" is simply the original "Lsace" to which "Alsace" is the opposite (like Asymmetry to Symmetry). Unlike Chinese tourist magnet version in Alsace it's not frequently visited, as it is limited to those of us with the purest of hearts who can say the pass phrase in Lemannic.

Sept it's your turn!

EDIT: Gosh darn my liquidity here's worse than in binance. Sept you'll have to get your rep later!
    Last edited by Cookiegod; July 25, 2021 at 02:31 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

What will the next anti-place be? Strasbourg in the Department Pas-Rhin? Some town in Norraine? The Nil-de-France? Mais-Si de Calais? Or even Nodnol in the Disunited Republic?

PS: Rept' Sept for you.

Thank you Cookie and Iskar. Again one of those beautiful locations that just beg for a visit.

The next one is not so much like that, but was inspired by recent discussion here. I am revealing the details after the round.

Citizen

It's too small to be an actual fortress/castle, more likely to be a folly or a mausoleum, but I'll still bet on something in Finland.

I was about to ask you if you know what "folly" means and even quote Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind from Shakespeare's As You Like It. But knowing you as an educated fellow, I contained myself and checked if the word has a meaning that I am not aware of. Good thing I did; otherwise I would have made an ass out of myself. Never underestimate Cookie nor how much one can learn playing Guess Where.

But no, I am not commenting on your guess yet in case someone finds it without a hint.

It's too small to be an actual fortress/castle, more likely to be a folly or a mausoleum, but I'll still bet on something in Finland.
    Okay, this might be too hard after all. We are looking at a park in an area that is not Finland but, according to many, should rightfully be Finland.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

The Ludwigsburg Mausoleum just outside of Vyborg.