Thread: Guess where?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Guess where?

It's the faggio di San Francesco in Rivodutri.

EDIT: 'd by the Dutch Bastet (or Sakhmet?)
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

It is indeed

I actually told about it in my blogs, since it's in my Municipality

over to Muizer
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I am not really requesting a hint yet in case some others still want to do research on the picture alone. But I do not quite know what I am looking at so it is hard to do any detective work.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Thanks Morticia! Interesting and beautiful places. I really appreciate getting some background information on the locations that we quiz. A lot of the enjoyment in this game for me is learning about places and phenomena. And at least I can understand German to some degree, if I really concentrate.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I am not really requesting a hint yet in case some others still want to do research on the picture alone. But I do not quite know what I am looking at so it is hard to do any detective work.
    I can only speculate either. Maybe we can pool observations to beat the riddle:

There are palm trees in the background and other flora and earth-colours I would associate with north-african or middle-eastern countries. Might also be southern Spain, but unlikely.
    The doors and the fence-ish thing show ornamental metalwork typical for islamic art/architecture.
    The architecture itself is reminiscent of ancient eastern mediterraenean (or related/similar) cultures.
    The place looks like a war memorial, cemetery entrance, or maybe an extravagant museum vestibule due to its solemn, solid facade lacking any windows.
    It must be a place of either significant symbolic value, or one receiving considerable amounts of visitors regularly, or one holding valuable content, considering the security cameras on the entrance.

I have already searched for egyptian/israeli/middle eastern memorials or museums as well some as generic search for modern architecture with concave facades (as these are not too common), but found nothing matching.
    Last edited by Iskar; April 16, 2021 at 11:29 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Nice idea making it a cooperative game, kudos for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    There are palm trees in the background and other flora and earth-colours I would associate with north-african or middle-eastern countries. Might also be southern Spain, but unlikely.
    The doors and the fence-ish thing show ornamental metalwork typical for islamic art/architecture.
    These are the only ones I was able to deduce myself.

The architecture itself is reminiscent of ancient eastern mediterraenean (or related/similar) cultures.
    The place looks like a war memorial, cemetery entrance, or maybe an extravagant museum vestibule due to it solemn, solid facade lacking any windows.
    It must be a place of either significant symbolic value, or one receiving considerable amounts of visitors regularly, or one holding valuable content, considering the security cameras on the entrance.
    Excellent observations. I was thinking that the levels to the right are not steps but actually seats as in a classical theater. Which would also explain the circular design. I tried looking for modern classical theaters and stages, but so far no luck. Why would a war memorial or a cemetary have a stage though? I was thinking that maybe something like a cultural center. A museum might do, though.

EDIT: outdoor auditorium would possibly be the keyword, provided that I am right in the first place.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 16, 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Some modern buildings have these stair/seat elements near the entrance to integrate generic sitting areas with the architecture. I considered a theatre but discarded it: The steps are too flat and don't go up far enough to provide the necessary accoustics, I think.

That architecture with completely rectangular shapes on the building may or may not be a clue. I feel that it contradicts the round shapes and arches that one finds in the architecture of Islamic cultures.

I can only speculate either. Maybe we can pool observations to beat the riddle:

The place looks like a war memorial, cemetery entrance, or maybe an extravagant museum vestibule due to its solemn, solid facade lacking any windows.

I have already searched for egyptian/israeli/middle eastern memorials or museums as well some as generic search for modern architecture with concave facades (as these are not too common), but found nothing matching.
    The fact that you haven't found it does not mean you're wrong.

Anyway there's a clue on this page. And I wasn't the one who posted it.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Moderator Emeritus

Ooh, it's the museum of Bubastis. So my impression of modernised egyptian architecture wasn't wrong.

Ooh, it's the museum of Bubastis. So my impression of modernised egyptian architecture wasn't wrong.
    Is correct!

Moderator Emeritus

I always liked the cat goddess.

Next one:
    Last edited by Iskar; April 16, 2021 at 07:24 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Hospices de Beaune.

Moderator Emeritus

Indeed, the so-called Hotel-Dieu, a charitable hospital for the poor founded as early as 1443.

I am taking the liberty of keeping the game going if lolIsuck is busy at the moment.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Looks like Coney Island Brooklyn New York.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Now that you say, it does! But it is not correct.

Navy pier, Chicago waterfront. I've actually been to the Shedd Aquarium, which is close by. Thought I recognized the waterfront park.

Right on, Muizer! A lot of cool things in that area. On to you.

Chicago was a strange sight to me. On TV, you usually just get to see the high rise. What they don't show is it's a fairly small area surrounded by a sea of houses that are just 2 or 3 stories high.

https://i.redd.it/6mpe84dx2j601.jpg

Anyway, for something completely different. This place is both high and low