Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

This Augustusburg castle in Brühle, Noth Rhine and Westphalia. I don't know about the street name, but the map says there is a Schlossstrasse (Castle Street) nearby, which would make sense.

That's absolutely correct! Ignore the street request, that was the relic of the first image, which was way too easy, so I replaced it with Augustusburg.

Okay, let's get out of town for a change!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

That's Mars dude

I am not happy with a planetary-level answer!

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

There's not that many places on Mars with a name...
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

This place, no matter where it is, has a name and it is not that hard to find out what it is even without resorting to reverse image search scumming. It is in many respects a very unique and well-known location among the extreme, out-of-your-comfort-zone travelling scene.

I'll give you a hint . It is hard to get to because there are no publicly available trips organized, so to get there you would have to do some hardcore DIY traveling. Calling the local tourism infrastructure primitive would be generous. If you are able to secure any supplies in the surrounding areas of this interesting destination, I would wager that the prices are astronomical.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; April 10, 2021 at 06:22 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Definitely need oxygen for that one.

Haha, for sure. Just let me know if you think that I should reveal the answer.

In any case, the aerial photograph does not easily reveal how insanely massive the object in the picture is. That roughly circular higher ground that casts a shadow on the surrounding plain would only barely fit within the modern state of France.

Moderator Emeritus

So that's why Napoleon wanted to expand its borders...

I think its fair to let Turk spill it out, since he already guessed the right planet.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Content Emeritus

In light of this fine sportsmanship I shall oblige. Might it be the place known as Olympus Mons?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    In light of this fine sportsmanship I shall oblige. Might it be the place known as Olympus Mons?
    Yes, thank you. This is Mt. Olympus on Mars, an inactive volcano and the highest mountain known so far. In the absence of a sea level, it has been measured to be from 21 to 27 kilometers tall depending on the reference point, which dwarfs any mountain on Earth. Here is a picture swiped from Wikipedia to illustrate the massiveness of the mountain.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Given that the atmospheric pressure on top of the relatively minuscule Mount Everest is only a third of what we have on sea level on Earth, the thinness of the atmosphere on Mars at the altitude of Olympus' summit means that we are unlikely to ever land anything on that mountain and study it. Our probes would just crash on the slopes without any resistance.

Content Emeritus

Ty ty

Signal de Botrange, Belgium's highest point.

Moderator Emeritus

Boing, I lookup up Netherlands' highest point, didn't find anything matching and went for lunch...

Content Emeritus

Loli has it. I thought since we were talking about massive heights with its 694 metres.

694 metres?! With this information, I am not sure if I will be able to call the country Netherlands anymore. I can immediately think of Estonia (317 meters) and Denmark (as little as 171 meters) that have nowhere near those heights.

Most countries I know of build a high tower on their highest point, but I like the stairs to nowhere approach though. I take it as a symbol of wealth to have one, as is portrayed in the musical Fiddler on the Roof. The main character describes in the song If I Was a Rich Man the things he would have if he was rich. Among them:

There would be one long staircase just going up,
    And one even longer coming down,
    And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

Content Emeritus

You're in luck then because it's not located in the Netherlands but in Belgium (and as the name suggests in the Walloons, the French-speaking and southern part of the country).

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    You're in luck then because it's not located in the Netherlands but in Belgium (and as the name suggests in the Walloons, the French-speaking and southern part of the country).
    He SAID Belgium. And I was wondering about the French name, too. I could really work on my reading comprehension. And general comprehension, if humanly possible. Thank you for pointing that out!

The highest point in the Netherlands is still higher than both Estonia (barely) and Denmark, even if we discount the volcano in the Caribbean which is the official highest point of the country.

Next: