Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    The Ludwigsburg Mausoleum just outside of Vyborg.
    Yes! I was actually looking for Monrepos, the interesting park in which the mausoleum and the island (Ludwigstein) are located in. The park has been something of travel destination in Finland, but then the city of Vyborg was conquered by the Soviets and the entire population fled west to what is Finland today. The whole park (and one could say the city itself) fell into horrible disrepair during communism, but in the last ten years or so Russia has renovated the park, partly with World Bank funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monrepos_Park

Thank you Morty for the color commentary and links for the Monrepos research center in Germany! You inspired me to put this up, but I did not want to comment it until both Monrepos are guessed right. Loli is up!
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; July 28, 2021 at 05:18 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

At your service.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Dang it. Sept and I looked at Vyborg on google streets together, I should have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

No guesses yet? A first hint then, the place is located at an estuary.

I can confirm that I have tried to locate this place. Searching on it's qualities returns pictures of Nyhavn in Copenhagen. Lots and lots of pictures of Nyhavn.

I can confirm now that I am all out of ideas.

There aren't too many estuaries in Europe nor are there many cosy port towns on said estuaries.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Honfleur?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Honfleur. Over to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    There aren't too many estuaries in Europe nor are there many cosy port towns on said estuaries.
    What do you mean by estuary? If I look at the map, a great number of European cities by the ocean have a river running through them. To the extent that I believe the freshwater source to be the reason for establishing the settlement there.

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

The landscape in the background looks like German Mittelgebirge with the neatly cut off patches of pine forest, but the mountain in front looks a tad too barren for that (most mountains in the German Mittelgebirge don't exceed the tree line). The structure on top might be a bronze age wall enclosure (though unlikely in that height) or remnants of a volcano.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

An interesting location. The contrast between green vegetation and barren patches together with the snow bring my mind somewhere up north or deep in south. The geometrical shapes of the hills and the ladscape just does not match with anything I have looked into so far.

There's some merit in these guesses. The landscape has been shaped by glaciers and meltwater. The site is also of archaeological significance.

Thanks for the update. I am definitely going to give this more effort once I am freed from the shackles of my labor.

Scotland and places such as Cairngorms could match it as well as central Norway, but no identification yet.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Greenland?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Greenland?
    Nope. The snow is certainly seasonal. Hesitant to give more hints because some of the previous answers have enough merit between them that they should make it possible to find the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Hesitant to give more hints because some of the previous answers have enough merit between them that they should make it possible to find the location.
    I am not hesitant to let you know that I worked seriously hard to come with a possible identification. Tap O'Noth near Rhynie in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. You managed to pick a funky color picture that threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    The structure on top might be a bronze age wall enclosure (though unlikely in that height) or remnants of a volcano.
    If I got it right, it is indeed a Scottish bronze age fort, and the second highest in Scotland, I read. Now I must ask you after so many rounds of this competition. Are you an archaelogist, architect, or historian of some sort?